Author Topic: Cleaning Plastic cards  (Read 2330 times)

guest189040

Re: Cleaning Plastic cards
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 11:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks groom. I only thought of it this week, having used up my spare cash paying some of the people who came to deal with the tree and the fence. I will use my local bank branch not the outside ATM.

That's what I do I would not use outside ATM at least inside you know they have been wiped and there is tissues there  for your own use ..Worth the wait in a queue  ;)

Rosie

No it is not worth the wait inside in a queue.

Being outside is safer, avoiding somebody’s slipstream of breath is safer, being in a queue with somebody standing behind you breathing over you is not safe.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 12:12 BST (UK) »
I meant outside standing in a queue  with social distances our bank only lets 2 people in at a time they open and close the door so you don't need to touch anything ..And there is no one standing over me so very safe

Rosie

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 19:08 BST (UK) »
Before lockdown we had ordered some batteries for father in law, unfortunately they took a while arriving, but he needed them so came to pick them up.

He doesn't have a mains adaptor then?.  ::)
 :)
these were batteries for a mobility scooter (but that’s another story!)
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 19:11 BST (UK) »
I meant outside standing in a queue  with social distances our bank only lets 2 people in at a time they open and close the door so you don't need to touch anything ..And there is no one standing over me so very safe

Rosie

I agree, not likely to be a queue inside as they limit the number of people.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 19:16 BST (UK) »
Before lockdown we had ordered some batteries for father in law, unfortunately they took a while arriving, but he needed them so came to pick them up.

So the batteries weren't actually for a father in law.  ::)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 19:27 BST (UK) »

So the batteries weren't actually for a father in law.  ::)
;D ;D ;D
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 21:23 BST (UK) »
I'd never thought of cleaning my cards.  Usually, I use contactless so don't have to touch the machine, but recently our bank decided to send us new cards (they said the old ones hadn't been compromised they'd just decided to send out new ones  ::) ) and the first time you use them you have to put them in the card machine and enter your pin number.  My own card I used in a card shop, no-one seemed to wipe the machine and I just used it as normal.  When I went to Boots and used my new credit card, the girl there wiped the machine, then I inserted the card and put in my pin number and eventually took out my card, then she wiped the machine again.

I think my OH and I have been quite lackadaisical about it all, I don't know if it's because we are old, or that we live in a very low risk area.  Most people round here are the same, I've seen very few people wearing masks or gloves but now, of course, we're all going to have to wear masks.  I read that medical staff have been told to change their masks every 15 minutes as they are ineffective after that - that is why they've been using so many.  I wonder how many ordinary people will change their mask every 15 minutes, or wash the washable ones every time they've been out.  Personally, I think the whole mask wearing thing is a joke - why now rather than 12 weeks ago, and if they're so necessary why wait until 24 July.  They won't even work against viruses which are so small that they can get through anything.  An analogy was trying to row a boat using a tennis racquet.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 21:33 BST (UK) »
It is the droplets of sputum that are stopped, the virus is in/on them
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 21:59 BST (UK) »
Masks have no effect on a virus that measures one eighth of a nanometre in length (8 thousand million to a metre). They won't know the fabric is there even in a close weave.

Those viruses caught in fibre by moisture will merely work their way through to the front side of the mask and be expelled forward by breathing, talking, coughing and sneezing.  A hospital consultant has said that anything other than tight-fitting, surgical-grade masks are utterly pointless – like trying to stop a bullet with a chain-link fence.  Or as I said trying to row a boat with a tennis racquet. 

I'm dropping out of this discussion now, as the media seems to have frightened half the population so much that we're in danger of becoming the most frightened of all Europeans.