Author Topic: Baptism, 1849 Salford, help with please  (Read 1359 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism, 1849 Salford, help with please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 July 20 08:32 BST (UK) »
Going back to the marriage of Elizabeth & John, who were the witnesses.

Do you have Elizabeth on census prior to her marriage.  Is she the Eliza Trimmington in King Street, Blackburn in 1841 (Not born in County)
HO107/502 bk2 f42 p25
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 July 20 10:40 BST (UK) »
Is Titterington or similar any good? :-\

There is a John Titherington bap Long Preston, Yorks (which might be the parish for Wigglesworth),
13 June 1819, mother Ann.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J73L-8BX

Elizabeth Titterington bap not far away in Clapham, 27 Oct 1822, mother Ann.   
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NYXD-TBF

Possibly could be John in 1871? Age 51, born Wigglesworth, living in Horwich, Lancs, piece 3927 folio 53 page 30
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KD6T-WKJ

Sorry, best I can come up with.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 July 20 11:05 BST (UK) »
I see Jon has beat me to a posting, but I'm going ahead with this one anyway. (Jon I also looked for Timmingtons, Trimmingtons with father John - born Yorkshire - couldn't find an Elizabeth or any with the Timmington/Trimmington surname)

In 1861 on the census John W Hunt and Elizabeth have 3 children;

Ellen born about 1852
Fanny born about 1850
John born about 1854

Apparantly all born in Liverpool (which is also shown as Elizabeth's birth place)

There seems to be a baptism for John amongst the Liverpool Catholic baptisms on Ancestry - however there was a Fanny Hunt born in 1847 in the Holcombe District of Bury - baptised C of E.

In 1851 Fanny is 3, born Holcombe -  Ellen is 4 months born Liverpool - and Elizabeth the mother is 27, born Wigglesworth (Yorkshire as far as I know).

Hence there is contradictory evidence re ages and birth places - unless Fanny dies and another Fanny is born later.

The marriages of both Ellen and Fanny  are amongst the Liverpool marriages on Ancestry in 1874 and 1873 respectively.

I cannot find a baptism for Elizabeth the mother though, at the moment.

It's only 11.00am in the morning and I am already confused - doesn't bode well for the rest of the day!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 July 20 17:27 BST (UK) »

There seems to be a baptism for John amongst the Liverpool Catholic baptisms on Ancestry - however there was a Fanny Hunt born in 1847 in the Holcombe District of Bury - baptised C of E.

In 1851 Fanny is 3, born Holcombe -  Ellen is 4 months born Liverpool - and Elizabeth the mother is 27, born Wigglesworth (Yorkshire as far as I know).

Hence there is contradictory evidence re ages and birth places - unless Fanny dies and another Fanny is born later.

Baptism Emmanuel, Holcombe 17th Dec. 1847
Fanny HUNT daughter of John Wellington HUNT & Elizabeth
Born: 13th Dec. Abode: Holcombe Brook. Occupation: Police constable
(Lancashire Online Parish Clerks)

I wondered why they moved around, father's occupation explains it.
The nearest Catholic church was in Bury. 
Cowban

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 July 20 17:51 BST (UK) »
I wondered why they moved around, father's occupation explains it.
The nearest Catholic church was in Bury.

In 1851 2176/ 843/55, John was a Traveller and in 1861 2716/29 /12 he was a Commercial Clerk.

Added
I thought they married in the Registry Office  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 July 20 18:38 BST (UK) »
Heywood -- it was John Wellington Hunt and Elizabeth 'Trimmington', the parents -- who married either at the Registry Office, or it was a Registrar attended marriage in Blackburn in 1846.

The 2 daughters Fanny and Ellen both married in a C of E Church in Liverpool.

We have slightly moved away from the original query of where daughter Ann was baptised! That's because we can't find a baptism - nor can we find a baptism for her mother, Elizabeth Timmington/Trimmington. Also John Wellington Hunt, Elizabeth's husband was born Ireland.

Initially - as we couldn't find a baptism for Ann -- I had wondered if the family may have been RC.

A John Hunt was born in Q/E March with mother's maiden name Timmington -- he appears to have been baptised in 1854 at St Anthony's RC Church in Liverpool (if it's the correct John Hunt).

Hence if the family are, or were, RC -- we may not find a baptism for Ann. (Or indeed Elizabeth the mother).

Sorry if you knew all this - I was just refreshing the ground covered!

I, for one am stuck!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 July 20 19:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, Pennines, I was referring  to the parents and Kit mentioned that all 3 siblings were baptised CoE.
I wondered why Maiden Stone mentioned the Catholic Church in Bury.
It’s all a bit of a mix up  ;)

I thought John’s information would be worth looking at.

Is Titterington or similar any good? :-\

There is a John Titherington bap Long Preston, Yorks (which might be the parish for Wigglesworth),
13 June 1819, mother Ann.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J73L-8BX

Elizabeth Titterington bap not far away in Clapham, 27 Oct 1822, mother Ann.   
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NYXD-TBF

Possibly could be John in 1871? Age 51, born Wigglesworth, living in Horwich, Lancs, piece 3927 folio 53 page 30
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KD6T-WKJ

Sorry, best I can come up with.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 July 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your very kind replies.
I will try to answer all of the points raised:
1. John W Hunt and Elizabeth Trimmington were married at Blackburn RO; Wits were: James Read + Thomas Parker - Because it's a RO, I cannot see other marriages about the same time, so I haven't a clue who these Wits were.
2. I've done a search, (on www.gro.gov.uk), for all deaths for Ann Hunt between 3rd Q 1849 and the 1851 Census; the only one in the approximate right location was:
Ann Hunt Death 4th Q 1849 Manchester, aged 0; (none in Salford)
I've also looked very quickly at the cemeteries in Salford, and as far as I can see, there were none open at this time. Ann's birth was registered with the Salford, Regent Road Sub-District Registrar's;  this general area is reasonably close to Manchester General Cemetery, so I think it's a good chance that the 4/10/1849 burial is the right one for her.
3. I know from previous research, that Ann was not buried with her parents in Liverpool
4. You have done a wonderful job and have got most of the data that I have on this family, but I don't think that John + Elizabeth's son John was the one baptised in St Anthony's, (RC), as I have his baptism already, and it was C of E.
5. I was interested to see the two Titherington's baptisms in Long Peston and Clapham. But on her MC in Blackburn in 1846, Elizabeth is described as being a Minor, which would not be the case if she was the Elizabeth Titherington bap on 27/10/1822. What do you think?
6. As you can see from the Census records, the year of births are very inconsistent and I have never known of anyone who has put down 3 different places of birth! (Admittedly, Liverpool was the default answer). I just cannot get to grips with Elizabeth, despite her having a fairly rare surname - I have looked on www.gro.gov.uk for any Trimmington Deaths from 1837 onwards, and I cannot find one, up until about 1863! At the moment I'm looking at Timmington Deaths.
Again, if anyone can come up with any ideas as to how to track her down, then please let me know.
Thank you once more for all your tremendous help, which I really have appreciated,
Kit

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 July 20 21:56 BST (UK) »
But on her MC in Blackburn in 1846, Elizabeth is described as being a Minor, which would not be the case if she was the Elizabeth Titherington bap on 27/10/1822. What do you think?

Hi
It certainly seems to knock the idea on the head!
Hope someone can think of something else to help find your Elizabeth.
John