Author Topic: 1761 Hopewell Crowe family prior to voyage to Nova Scotia  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Deausx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1761 Hopewell Crowe family prior to voyage to Nova Scotia
« on: Saturday 11 July 20 21:06 BST (UK) »
I'm a descendant of James Crowe (1715-1801), who came over on the Hopewell from Derry, Ireland to Nova Scotia in 1761. I'm trying to figure out any ancestors prior to him, or even general lineage prior to him which my best guess is Ulster Scot. Actually, I think pinning down if I'm Irish, Scottish, or English matters a lot more to me than naming specific ancestors but if I could do both I would.

I used census records to trace my family back to Colchester County, Nova Scotia. Then I used the 1873 book by Thomas Miller that detailed most of the genealogy of the families that came over on the Hopewell, including the Crowe family, back to James Crowe. I've seen a few posts on this forum asking about the same topic https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=782853.0 and https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=464097.0 . I've checked out Alexander McNutt who organized the colonists from Ireland to North America. I've tried using FindAGrave.com, rootsireland.ie, TheGreatParchmentBook, and google. I've even had a friend of my father who is Irish and lives in Ireland check into it, to no avail.

I've seen references to James being married to "Rebecca Sarah Evans" (born 1725), and James being the son of a "Christopher Crowe" (1682-1749) on a bunch of genealogy sites, but no actual source material for either of that. As near as I can tell, the people uploading this are all copying off each other. If there is a source, I'd love to see it.

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to look past this. Or if anyone who is a descendant has found anything, since the number of descendants of James Crowe probably number in the thousands at this point.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1761 Hopewell Crowe family prior to voyage to Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 July 20 09:17 BST (UK) »
On this site
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie
there are two refs to Crowes prior to 1761.

These are from Dublin and baptised in the COI, Irish equivalent of Anglican church or protestant church.  Often Presbyterians had a few baptisms on COI just to forestall any criticism of their religion.  My Scottish Presbyterian Irish ancestors had several baptisms, marriages in the COI but my fierce gt grandfather was buried from the Presbyterian church here in NZ. 

In St Michael COI Dublin there are
James and Margeraget (that is the spelling) who baptised Ann Rebecca Crowe on 12/9/1751
and
James and Mary Crowe who baptised George Crowe on 8/3/1750

If you know the children of your James Crowe, some of whom may/will have gone to Nova Scotia you will be able to see if either of these references are relevant

Offline Deausx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 20 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the response and taking the time to look that up for me! Sadly, neither of these match what I have. James children were:
Margaret - born 1736
Joseph - born 1738
James - 1740
Aaron - 1743
Thomas - 1746
John - 1748
Nicholas - 1750

The next even I know for sure is that he and his children made the voyage in 1761 across the Atlantic, and his wife did not come with him. Presumably this means she died around 1750-53 since they were having kids like clockwork.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 20 18:51 BST (UK) »

I'm a descendant of James Crowe (1715-1801), who came over on the Hopewell from Derry, Ireland to Nova Scotia in 1761. I'm trying to figure out any ancestors prior to him, or even general lineage prior to him which my best guess is Ulster Scot. Actually, I think pinning down if I'm Irish, Scottish, or English matters a lot more to me than naming specific ancestors but if I could do both I would.

The majority of emigrants from Ulster to Canada and America in the 1700s were Presbyterian Scots. (Native Irish didn’t really start emigrating in significant numbers till the 1800s). So if your family were Presbyterians who came from Ulster then it’s highly likely that their origins were in Scotland. They will likely have moved to Ireland in the 1600s, either as part of the Plantation or for other reasons eg there was a huge influx in the 1690s due to famine in Scotland.

If you are interested in the general historical background then read “Eagle’s Wings – The Journey of the Ulster – Scots and Scotch – Irish” by Dr David Hume. It explains the move to Ireland and then the subsequent decision to leave in the 1700s, which really started in 1718. See also:

https://www.ancestryireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/The_1718_Migration.pdf
Elwyn

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 July 20 23:23 BST (UK) »
What was his wife's name.  If you have found the children's births did they not have the name of their mother on them?

Have you independently verified the names, places and dates of these births.  Where in Ireland were they?  Were they from Dublin? Which of these children is your ancestor? and are there any clues in the records of that ancestor going down the years? 

The wife could have died any time between the date of birth of the last child and when the family embarked in 1861.  She could have been older perhaps than James and so her reproductive cycle may not have been as long, any number of reasons.  Did James marry again in Nova Scotia?  If so what did he put as his marital status?

Offline Deausx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 July 20 18:00 BST (UK) »
I'm able to trace my ancestors back through census and marriage records as early as a William Burton Crowe, born 1828 in Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia did not become a part of Canada until 1867, so record keeping prior to that was extremely limited. No census, no birth records, no marriage records. Mostly just a poll tax as far as I can tell, which didnt contain anything useful. Virtually everything I have prior to the birth of William B. Crowe in 1828 comes from a single source: The Historical and Genealogical Record of the First Settlers of Colchester County, written by Thomas Miller in 1873.

From that book I was able to trace that William B. Crowe's father was William Crowe, born 1873. Who's father was Thomas Crowe, born 1773. Who's father was Joseph Crowe, born 1738 in Londonderry Ireland. Who's father was James Crowe, born 1715 in Londonderry Ireland. All of that comes from Thomas Miller's book. And that James Crowe and his children came over on the Hopewell in 1761.

I've had some confirmation through FindAGrave.com, but no new information. None of the graves list the name of the mother that I have seen. Some of the graves do contain the phrase "Rugadh i Contae Dhoire, Tuaisceart Éireann" which google translate tells me is "Born in County Derry, Northern Ireland".

Here is the link for Joseph Crowe's grave:
https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=60527&h=3332496&ssrc=pt&tid=169831485&pid=332208041734&usePUB=true

Here is a link to the tree that Thomas Miller's book creates:
https://imgur.com/a/nPadUTv

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 July 20 18:17 BST (UK) »
Have a look at Bill McAfee's webpages, especially 18th census substitutes-
http://www.billmacafee.com/18centurydatabases.htm

The 1740 Protestant Householder's List is there with several Crowe households
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 17:43 BST (UK) »
From that book I was able to trace that William B. Crowe's father was William Crowe, born 1873. Who's father was Thomas Crowe, born 1773.

Typo with a date? Otherwise Thomas Crowe was around 100 when his son was born.
Cowban