Author Topic: Alexander Roney and Mary Hamel 1828  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Suz Roney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Roney and Mary Hamel 1828
« on: Sunday 12 July 20 04:16 BST (UK) »
I'm in search of information about Alexander Roney and Mary Hamel, my third great grandfather and grandmother.

I understand that they were married at Gretna Green, Scotland on 26 December 1928, though were from the Parish of St Mary's in Cumberland. They had six children, Mary, John, James, William, Ann and Alexander. Alexander had also been married to Jane and had four children.

I'm hoping to find some records relating to Alexander Roney and Mary Hamel's parents and siblings. They are likely have immigrated from Ireland.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Roney and Mary Hamel 1828
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to Rootschat.
There is a tree on Ancestry showing the detail you have posted.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/117625586/person/122129600962/facts
Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 July 20 18:50 BST (UK) »
I think you mean he married Jane after Mary died   

There is an 1841 entry for him in Cumberland aged 30 showing his birthplace as Ireland.  There is an 80yr old Ann Roney b Ireland living with the family?

in 1851 he is a widower aged 40 b Carlisle??  In 1861 married to Jane birthplace Carlisle and shown as Alexander D Roney

Do you have a copy of his marriage cert to Jane showing his fathers name as I can't find a marriage for him - Jane was nee Hodgson according to daughter Bridget's birth reg

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Suz Roney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 10:21 BST (UK) »
I think you mean he married Jane after Mary died   

Correct - I have Alexander and Mary married in 1928, with six children between 1830 and 1847. Then he marries Jane at some point and had four children between 1850 and 1861.

However, a number of Ancestry family trees have Mary dying in July 1869 or otherwise unknown. I'm still in the process of trying to find a record to verify her death.

There is an 1841 entry for him in Cumberland aged 30 showing his birthplace as Ireland.  There is an 80yr old Ann Roney b Ireland living with the family?

Correct I have this census record. I'm not sure if Ann is his mother or not. If she was, he would have been 50 when he was born.

in 1851 he is a widower aged 40 b Carlisle??  In 1861 married to Jane birthplace Carlisle and shown as Alexander D Roney

Do you have a copy of his marriage cert to Jane showing his fathers name as I can't find a marriage for him - Jane was nee Hodgson according to daughter Bridget's birth reg

I didn't actually notice the word 'widower' in the 1851 census. Thanks, that helps narrow's Mary's death down. I previously wasn't sure if there was an (uncommon) divorce and then he married Jane.

I'm not sure about Alexander marrying Jane in 1861, as the records I have is that they had their fourth child together in 1861. Do you have a link to a record I could view?

I've started an ancestry family tree and am just hitting the Ireland generations.

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/102525374/family/familyview?fpid=162190608843

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 10:35 BST (UK) »
I think Carole is saying that on the 1861 census he claims to be married to Jane, not that he marries in 1861, and no marriage has been found.

However Jane marries as Roney to her next husband Mr Wren, so she is not averse to the actual ceremony?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 11:07 BST (UK) »
Possible death for Mary is the one in Carlisle March qtr 1847 - she was aged 40

Ann Roney death Sept 1844 aged 83 - Carlisle.  There is another March qtr 1842 but GRO is coming up with no trace so cannot establish her age

Ignore the March 1844 death in Whitehaven for Mary Roney  - infant death

Daughter Sarah was born 1853/4 so if there was a marriage to Jane it would be 1851-53 but nothing obvious. 

The 1851 has 2 possible matches for Jane Hodgson - she was single on both entries
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 11:38 BST (UK) »

Ann Roney death Sept 1844 aged 83 - Carlisle.  There is another March qtr 1842 but GRO is coming up with no trace so cannot establish her age

Death of an Ann Roney (of Carlisle) in 1842 in newspaper (Cumberland Paquet) has age of 27.

Offline Suz Roney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
I think Carole is saying that on the 1861 census he claims to be married to Jane, not that he marries in 1861, and no marriage has been found.

However Jane marries as Roney to her next husband Mr Wren, so she is not averse to the actual ceremony?

Gotchya.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 14:31 BST (UK) »

Comfirmation:

RONEY, ANN       27 
GRO Reference: 1842  M Quarter in DISTRICT OF ST MARYS IN THE COUNTY OF CUMBERLAND  Volume 25  Page 50  Occasional Copy: A

John