Author Topic: Looking for any info on Daniel Perrie  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Nzinga8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for any info on Daniel Perrie
« on: Sunday 12 July 20 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I have been searching for one branch of my family tree for 5years now and recently discovered my great grandfather Daniel Perrie was adopted and his name was changed to George Manson. Found Daniels original birth record which states his mothers name as Elizabeth Perrie and his birth Illegitimate. I have tried researching Elizabeth but have had zero luck. Daniel was born June 1883 in Dunoon his mother is listed as a domestic servant but no other info on her. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any info on Daniel Perrie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 July 20 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Nzinga8

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

What was the address for Daniel's birth? It could be that Elizabeth went home to give birth.

How did you trace George Mason to Daniel's birth? Just curious really!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 20 20:52 BST (UK) »
You have this for sure, but adding just for background here. Censuses make it clear how Daniel became George. Daniel in 1891:

Peter Manson 32 painter b. Wishaw
Jessie Manson 31 b. Maryhill
Daniel Perrie 7 adopted son b. Dunoon
Helen Strachan 2 adopted daughter b. Wishaw

Address: 236 Main Street, Wishaw

By 1901, Daniel is showing as George Manson, aged 18 and Helen also shows as Manson. Peter's father was a George Manson so likely Daniel's name changed in memory of Peter's father?

In 1881, they also had an adopted daughter living with them, Elizabeth Morris aged 4 and born Dalziel parish.

Monica

Offline Nzinga8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 20 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hey MonicaL
Yes I found out from the census records about the name change as we had always know him as George Manson. A relative recently told us his middle name was Perrie so that’s how I made the connection. The birth certificate is so hard to read but it looks like strathhaven, west bay, Dunoon. I knew they had adopted Helen aka Nellie but I didn’t know about Elizabeth so thank you for that information, the mansons must have been really special people indeed.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 July 20 21:12 BST (UK) »
Adopted daighters Nellie and Elizabeth Morris were born local to Peter and wife Jessie. I wonder what the connections were for them to have taken on and adopted Daniel/ George.

Can't easily see a ref to Strathaven on West Bay. Could you post that snip from the birth cert so we can check with you what it says?

Monica

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 July 20 22:28 BST (UK) »
I looked for a marriage of an Elizabeth Perrie anywhere in Scotland 1883-1900 and only one result showed up. Elizabeth Erski Perrie to a David Poland  1899. There are two index entries for this marriage one with the reg dist Paisley ref no 573/1 486, the other with the reg dist Linwood ref no 568/2 9.
This couple emigrated to Canada between 1901 (Scotland census) and 1911 (Canada census) because they are named on their daughter Margaret Wilson Poland's marriage record to Thomas Montgomery Bennet 1926 Ontario.
Found shipping record - Mrs D Poland, son Joseph 4 and Daughter Maggie 1 arrived in Montreal 12 Oct 1903 on their way to Toronto Ontario.
This may be her in 1881
Kirknewton and East Calder Midlothian
Margaret Perrie    22 Widow born Paisley, Renfrewshire
Elizabeth Perrie 2 Paisley, Renfrewshire

Maggie Wilson married Thomas Perrie so that accounts for the Margaret Wilson Poland's name daughter of Elizabeth Perrie and David Poland. BUT in the 1891 Scotland census Margaret Perrie age 32 is with Thomas Perrie, Elizabeth 12 and
Robert Perrie 9
David Perrie 8
Thomas Perrie    7
Jane Perrie 5
Maggie Perrie 4
Alexander Perrie 3
John Perrie 2
William Perrie    1

Thomas Wilson married Maggie Perrie 1878 Paisley Burgh Parish so why the transcription says Widow in 1881 who knows.

Elizabeth Poland nee Perrie did make a couple f trips back to Scotland one in 1913 and the last one
Elizabeth N Poland
Arrival Age - 76
Birth Date - 5 Oct 1878
Port of Departure - Montréal, Québec, Canada
Arrival Date:    7 Jun 1955
Port of Arrival - Glasgow, Scotland
Ports of Voyage - Montreal and Liverpool
Ship - Captain Cook
Shipping Line - Donaldson Line

Now none of this may be nothing to do with your Daniel Perrie but may help eliminate them.

Could Elizabeth Perrie have gone to Dunoon to have her baby to hide her pregnancy?

Offline Nzinga8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 July 20 23:19 BST (UK) »
It’s the last entry on the page, it’s difficult for me to read. I was wondering how they came to adopt Daniel, I’m assuming with him still being named Daniel in 1891 census he was raised by Elizabeth for some time.

Offline Nzinga8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 July 20 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Crisane,
That was something that I thought about, that maybe she had travelled their to have her baby. With him being illegitimate it’s possible. Thank you also for the info like you say it may not be the same family or it may be a branch of the same family.

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 07:56 BST (UK) »
Dunoon was a victorian holiday resort so it could be that she was working there and then got pregnant and had the baby without her family knowing.
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)