Author Topic: problem with Ancestry Gedcom uploading to GenesReunited?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: problem with Ancestry Gedcom uploading to GenesReunited?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
Genes Reunited didn't like my GEDCOM when I uploaded it. My great grandmother married her uncle (I wish I knew the story). I temporarily removed that relationship before re-exporting/importing and it worked. So if you have any peculiar relationships in your file that may be it.

No!  Really????

This isn't my tree, I did it for a contact, but the only 'slightly' dubious thing in it is that one of his ancestors had most of his children with his sister-in-law after his wife died.  He didn't marry her, as that would have been against the law.

But I scarcely think Genes can be being judgemental about that  ;) ;) ;)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 July 20 18:47 BST (UK) »
Are there any clues around line 7320 ?

The status bar at the bottom should show you the line number you are on. You might have to turn the bar on using the View menu.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 July 20 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the further advice, I really appreciate your interest.

The person on Genes who I am corresponding with, and for whom I've created an Ancestry tree, is not comfortable with digital issues (it's become apparent). 

Although I've now sent him an Ancestry invitation and a web link to the tree (new facility from Ancestry, a one-use weblink) on two occasions, he's been unable to access the tree.

He says he is waiting for a visit from his more technically capable daughter and son-in-law, which may be delayed given current circs.

So I'm rather unwilling to take the time to explore other avenues of exporting the tree to Genes Reunited in case he's not able to access it there either......

It's been made apparent to me exactly how handicapped people are who've not had the opportunity of developing computer skills (perhaps at work), so as to be confident of what they're doing.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Maid of Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 September 22 11:02 BST (UK) »
I am going to ask a basic question please, I have no experience with gedcom. my whole tree is on GenesReunited, if I export my tree will I still have it in genesrenited or will it be lost and second are all my notes also transported -   this might be a silly question but I have no idea and am scared of loosing my tree on genereunited, thank you for answering a complete gedcom novice.
Kidney,Kitney Detling Stockbury Chatham. Wenham Biddenden. Waltham.  Pemble Birchington/St Peters. Sibun Medway Chatham/Gravesend

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 September 22 12:04 BST (UK) »
Export creates a COPY in a text file, using readable characters. The original is left where it was.

Lines in the GEDCOM have keywords at the front to describe what the rest of the line is.

Not all systems agree on what the contents of those lines mean. For example, lines describing records in a GEDCOM from Ancestry have fancy numbers describing what record on Ancestry's site is being referenced. These numbers mean nothing to other systems.

However if you Export a GEDCOM from a system, you should be able to Import it to the same system without problems.

The only certain way to find out if the fresh version contains your notes is to try it out. If you open the GEDCOM with, say, Notepad, you will be able to search for the text inside your notes and check that GR actually exported them.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Maid of Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 September 22 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much for this explanation, it has answers my questions.
Kidney,Kitney Detling Stockbury Chatham. Wenham Biddenden. Waltham.  Pemble Birchington/St Peters. Sibun Medway Chatham/Gravesend