Author Topic: Norma Evadne Sobers  (Read 176 times)

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norma Evadne Sobers
« on: Sunday 12 July 20 18:12 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information relating to this person. She was born in Barbados in 1933 and came to England in 1957 as a single person and trained as a nurse. She died in 1980 in Croydon. Thanks.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Norma Evadne Sobers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 July 20 20:13 BST (UK) »
Who reported her death?  Was it a relative?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 20 23:52 BST (UK) »
There is a Norma Sobers shown in the electoral roll for 1960, living at St Luke’s Hospital, Chelsea.

A few staff records are at London Metropolitan Archives (LMA), as listed here ...

https://search.lma.gov.uk/LMA_DOC/H58_SL.PDF

LMA is closed until 7 September.

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 July 20 07:04 BST (UK) »
The Norma Sobers found in Chelsea may well be the same one, thanks. She initially went to train as a nurse at the hospital in Newbury, Berks when she arrived in 1957 and in 1958 when her son was born she was in Maidenhead. Her son was adopted by my parents in 1962 and apart from a single meeting in adult life has had no contact. The son did not know his natural mother had died and knew nothing of her early life.
I would very much like to fill in as many gaps in his knowledge as possible, particularly if there is a source for information about her life in Barbados.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 July 20 08:05 BST (UK) »
Is it possible she married? ( I now her death was registered in her maiden name).
Norma E Sobers/Thomas N Dyett. Sep Q 1968. Lambeth.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 July 20 08:41 BST (UK) »
I  can find no birth registered in the name of Norma E Sobers in England/Wales 1930-52
There are two births registered with Dyett/Sobers parentage.
Sep Q 1968 Lambeth and Dec Q 1968 Croydon. ( The Croydon entry is apparently a late registration)

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 July 20 11:31 BST (UK) »
It appears that there were two people named Norma E Sobers that trained as nurses.

1. Born Norma Eloria Williams about 1940. She married a Theophilus Sobers in 1964 in Bath, Somerset. She was working in the hospital in Bath and registered as a nurse in 1966.

2. Born Norma Evadne Sobers (?) in 1933 (according to death record). When she arrived in the UK (1957)she lived and worked at the hospital in Newbury, Berks. In 1965 she worked at the hospital in Maidenhead, Berks where she was registered as a nurse. In the 1960 Electoral Registers she is recorded as living in Maidenhead, Berks. My parents were living in Maidenhead at the time they adopted her son in 1962 so I am confident that this is the one I'm interested in.

I guess that it is possible that either of them could have married Thomas Dyett in 1968 so I will have to send for the marriage certificate to see if that sheds any light. I have already sent for her death certificate.

Is there any way of finding Barbados birth records without having to go there?
Cowlishaw Derbyshire