Author Topic: HARRIS family from Glasgow and Dundee  (Read 842 times)

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HARRIS family from Glasgow and Dundee
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 July 20 19:03 BST (UK) »
Try searching for deaths on ScotlandsPeople using their names, and your grandmother's maiden name, as for deaths after 1974 the mother's maiden name was recorded. After that it's a matter of cross-referencing their age at death with their birth year, and eliminating those that are not close. Female deaths are also usually registered under both their maiden and married names, if they married, so it can also give you clues as to possible marriages. You won't be able to view the details because you will run into the statutory limitations on viewing the information (75 years for marriages, 50 for deaths), but it will allow you to draw up a short list of possible candidates and potential places that they lived. Hopefully what I have told you doesn't violate Rootschat's no living persons policy, but it will allow you to go a little further.

Family trees on Ancestry are also a good resource. I know that my father has a living cousin because of a family tree I found on Ancestry a couple of months ago, but frustratingly the person that started it hasn't logged into Ancestry for almost a year now. I have, however, found someone from my grandfather's father's family which was nice, so I now know a little more about his half-brothers and sister on that side.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 July 20 19:21 BST (UK) »
Margaret Rogers / Seymour, (nee Harris),  MMN MacKay, died 2018, Cowdenbeath, Fife, age 82

Offline KBurke23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 July 20 19:53 BST (UK) »
Will search Scotspeople again...good point.  Thanks.

Offline KBurke23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 July 20 19:59 BST (UK) »
Kloumann,
Thank you so much!  That fits with birthdate for my father’s half-sibling Margaret!

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 July 20 16:05 BST (UK) »
A search on ScotlandsPeople doesn't show any obvious deaths for the three remaining brothers, although, as other's have pointed out, this doesn't preclude them from having died outside of Scotland.

Offline KBurke23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 July 20 01:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  Yes, I never thought about that. I will have to search other countries they may have immigrated to like Australia, NZ and Canada.   I see obituaries are not that common in Scotland which is unfortunate as they are nice to have for family history records.