Author Topic: Alexander Blues and Charlotte Duncan  (Read 757 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Blues and Charlotte Duncan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 22:28 BST (UK) »
Geoff, could there have been a sister/daughter Ann?

There is a death on SP for an Ann Blues/Dickson who died in Lochee in 1869 aged 54. Mother's maiden name Duncan.

This may be her in 1861 with a sister Margaret:

William Dickson 44 labourer b. Muords, Forfarshire (not great transcript)
Ann Dickson 46 b. Fanadica, Forfarshire (mess on birth places!)
Maryann Dickson 15 b. Forfar
Margaret F Blues 36 Linen Power Loom Weaver sister in law b. Menmuir Forfarshire
Charlotte Mcgregor 14 boarder b Brechin

Address: High St Rieds Land, Lochee

Charlotte 1815-1861, was she married to a David McGregor?

Added: www.ancestry.co.uk/genealogy/records/charlotte-blues-24-rdp8s?geo_a=r&geo_s=ca&geo_t=uk&geo_v=2.0.0&o_iid=41016&o_lid=41016&o_sch=Web+Property Looks like she was. Must be her daughter Charlotte who shows with Ann in 1861.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 July 20 07:28 BST (UK) »
Just to add -
1841 Census transcription , High St , Forfar , Angus(FreeCEN).
Charlot Blue 50 winder
Elizabeth Blue 30 linen hand loom weaver
Charlot Blue 4
William Dickson 25 linen hand loom weaver
Ann Dickson 25
(All born Angus)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 July 20 12:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks to this thread I've finally found some missing children in the 1861 census.

James Blues (1802/3 - 1884) married Mary Whyte (b 1800/4).

Ann Blues (1824-1911), daughter of James Blues (d 1884) and Mary Whyte, married William Wyllie (1817-1850) in 1848 and had two sons, David (1849-1891) and James (1851-1923).

Alexander Blues (1828-1899), son of James Blues and Mary Whyte, married William Wyllie's sister Anne Wyllie (1823-1854) and had one son, Alexander Blues (1853-1925) who later changed his name to Alexander Blues Wyllie.

The three boys were all with their grandparents James Blues and Mary Whyte in 1861.

The parents of William and Anne Wyllie were David Wyllie and Margaret Milne and their sister Margaret Wyllie (1921-1907) was my great-great-grandmother. Another sister, Helen (1818-1886) married Alexander Keith.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 July 20 12:32 BST (UK) »
Siblings, born Tannadice
04/04/1804 David
16/08/1806 William
12/09/1808 Jean
20/09/1812 Unnamed
14/06/1815 Charlotte
I can’t see folks marriage on SP.
I think Elisabeth baptised 18 June 1810 is another sibling, her mother's name being incorrectly recorded as Catharine instead of Charlotte.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 July 20 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for these valuable contributions which fill in a few more gaps.
Forfarian in particular may be interested to note that James Blues and Mary Whyte were my great -great grandparents and my great aunt Susan Mann was married to a Robert Keith 1892-1943
The marriage of Alexander Blues 1771 and Charlotte Duncan 1775 however still remains elusive
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 July 20 18:33 BST (UK) »
I did once find in the minutes of New Monkland Kirk Session a reference to an irregular marriage of two parishioners that is not listed in the parish register. There is a possibility that there might be a mention of the marriage in the Kirk Sessions records of one of the parishes associated with the couple. But don't get your hopes up, because in 40 years I have only seen one such mention so far; and even if there is it is not going to tell you anything about their parents.

There is also a possibility that there was a family bible; a small chance that the bible survived; a still smaller chance that it is the hands of someone interested in the content; and an infinitesimally small chance that that person has put the information online somewhere.

But in practical terms, if it's not on SP the marriage record, if it ever existed, has almost certainly not survived.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 July 20 18:39 BST (UK) »
William Dickson 44 labourer b. Muords, Forfarshire (not great transcript)
Ann Dickson 46 b. Fanadica, Forfarshire (mess on birth places!)
Another brilliant transcription - I assume it's from Ancestry?

FindMyPast transcribes William's birthplace as Murroes and Ann's as Fanadice. I have submitted a correction to the latter.