Author Topic: Why no shared matches?  (Read 180 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Why no shared matches?
« on: Monday 13 July 20 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hello.

I wonder if anyone can help me with this puzzle.

I have about half a dozen DNA matches who i know go back to my 5xgreat grandfather John Spain.Several are between 20 and 30cMs largest segment,and are around 5th cousin level.There are several more who go back to him,between 9cMs and 18cMs largest segment,variously 4th cousin 2xremoved,5th cousin and 6th cousin.The matches below 20 match the ones above 20,as you would expect on Ancestry.So nothing unusual so far.

Then i have two half second cousins at 93cMs across 4 and 73cMs across 3 respectively.They also come down from John Spain,and through our mutual great gran.They have a different great grandfather,as my great gran had a child before she married.The strange thing is,they dont match any of these other matches,and visa versa.In fact,they dont match any of my other matches,they only match each other,which is very strange for such a close match.

Can anyone suggest why this might be?

Many thanks.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why no shared matches?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 20 19:11 BST (UK) »
A chromosome browser (not available on Ancestry) would show you where your chromosome overlaps occur with the two closer cousins, and where they occur with the more distant cousins. Presumably they are not the same, hence the closer cousins matching with you and not the others.

I have matches which I donít share even with my sister - itís normal.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Re: Why no shared matches?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 July 20 19:29 BST (UK) »
Ok thank you.

With this in mind,can i ask something else?

The great gran ive mentioned here was illigitimate,weve no idea who her father was.Ive got a number of DNA matches over 20cMs who are connected to each other,but i cant place them anywhere else in my tree.I wondered if they were from my gg grandfather,whoever he was,but dismissed the idea as the two half cousins dont match any of them.Given what you just said,is it possible they are related to her father?

Thanks.