Author Topic: Diary - Monday, 13 July 2020  (Read 1032 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Monday, 13 July 2020
« on: Monday 13 July 20 20:41 BST (UK) »
Finished nightshift.  First bus running a little late.  When it arrives and I board I notice that  some other passengers are not abiding by the new zig zag method.  Perhaps they did not receive the email that I got telling people that this is the new way to do things.  I sit down in accordance with the new method.
In Newcastle I stop off at M&S at the bus station for some milk and a few other items.  I notice that they have moved some food around again so I have to hunt for a few things I am after.  At the till I use my new Sparks card (acquired recently) and find that although I don't get money off this time I am being offered a free gift.  The assistant says the gift I qualify for is a new large hessian shopping bag worth £4.  I am quite pleased with this and think it will come in handy.
The next bus arrives quite quickly.  At my destination a woman jumps on the bus before giving me a chance to get off.  She says "sorry" to me when she seems to realise that she should have let me off first.  However, she does not budge and I have to squeeze past her to get off.  For goodness sake!  Do some people really imagine that the bus driver will drive off and leave them if they wait all of a few seconds for other passengers to alight?!
Back at home I have a quick cup of tea and some cereal.  I fall asleep virtually as soon as my head hits the pillow I am so tired.
When I woke up I had jacket potato, with tuna and salad, one cup of tea and an M&S apple turnover.   I think I can safely have this one cup as I have a later start nightshift tonight so can leave home a bit later .  So I should hopefully be safe regarding the no toilet en route issue.
After tea I respond to an email from my sister in law. I also put a load of washing in and do some minor hand sewing repair on some trousers I have. 
I feel a bit buoyed up at the moment as I have found out my local libraries have reopened today for order and collect.  I do have bought books, still, to read now, but just the idea that the library has reopened gives me such a lift in spirits.  I still have several books to return which I have had since pre lock down.  I presume they will be accepting returns from members but will likely have to quarantine these items for a while.
I also had some other great news by text tonight which made me gasp with delight when I saw it!  The dentist has 'unfortunately' had to cancel my dental check up appointment again for later this month!  I am informed I need to make an alternative later appointment.  Perhaps I shouldn't be so glad about this news but I can't help feeling this is another little reprieve.
Thanks for posting on yesterday's thread about the books Roobarb and Caroline.  I am always on the lookout for good titles to put on my booklist.
Now I am on my first bus travelling back to Newcastle for another nightshift.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Monday, 13 July 2020
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 20 21:01 BST (UK) »
Gosh, RTL, you  never seem to stop, you are very energetic

I don't seem to pack as much into a day as some of you folk do

Last week my husband nearly chopped his thumb off with a modified circular saw, 2 trips to A&E so far and another for the practice nurse this week, he also  suffers dysphagia,  a swallow problem, he has a really bad episode yesterday trying to swallow an antibiotic capsule, then today after I came home from helping my daughter clean her flat for rent I find him sitting with his anorack on and asleep, he had been having what he calls a rigor attack , so now it is me acting as nurse,   I thought since he had pneumonia recently he was in better health but he really is suffering this week, let's hope tomorrow is better otherwise I think he ought to speak to his Dr

I am tempted to go into my nearest town this week, I am, like most a bit fed up being in so long, will have to see how brave I feel

Take care folks
LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 July 20 23:12 BST (UK) »
RTL - I can't understand why people don't wait for passengers to get off buses and trains before attempting to get on, and that's in normal times. So much more ridiculous in these times and nerve wracking too. Nice to get a free gift from M&S.  :)  Lovely for your library to be reopening, I know you've been looking forward to that. I've read a couple of books recently that were a change from the heavy stuff I often read, the author is Phaedra Patrick, they're very easy reading and quite amusing. particularly The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper. To use the word 'nice' doesn't seem like a compliment but they are nice, I think they're what's termed feel good novels.

Louisa Maud - very sorry to hear about your husband's problems. Do you think that the shock of the accident with the saw could have exacerbated them? I hope he soon feels better, it must be such a worry for you.

My diary:

There had been a rain shower when I got up this morning, hoped that wasn't going to continue through the day. My morning was pretty much the same as usual. Got a text from my friend asking if I wanted to go for a walk tomorrow night when she finishes work at home. We'd planned where we would go this week when she couldn't make a walk last week.

Out for my walk today, no rain and it was pleasantly warm but cloudy and breezy at that point. Had been considering going for a walk on the beach this afternoon but for some reason I couldn't be bothered and couldn't be bothered going down the narrow path today.

After lunch I went out to cut the front lawn, unlocked the front door so I could make a hasty exit if I wanted to get out of the way of NN. (Have just remembered to lock it after typing that!) Spent a long time trimming the shrubs and weeding around them. My nice neighbour came home while I was out there, had a chat with her. She called hello to NN at one point, I didn't turn round. Had done a lot of work out there but I enjoyed it, hadn't stopped for a cuppa so that was my next port of call.

Just did a tuna salad and new potatoes for tea as I couldn't think what else to make. My shopping friend phoned, she's had some good news today, I'm very pleased for her. Watched Back in Time for  Dinner, it was the period between the wars. What hard lives people had and the working classes had very little choice of food, just things that would fill them up. It made me think about how lucky we are but also made me wonder whether it actually makes us any happier.

Sleep well everyone.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 00:36 BST (UK) »
RTL- I'm always intrigued with your travelling experiences and today's seem to have been more frustrating than usual for you... some people just don't get the distance, safe stuff do they... I know when I travel on the London Underground it always amazes me how people are trying to get on when you want to get off... there's always going to be another one in a minute so don't push just be polite....
Glad to hear your library's opening up... not sure about ours and like you I also have a book to return!
If you're looking for books another one I can recommend is The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri... I really enjoyed it... Tidelands by Philippa Gregory... Paris Echo by Sebastian Faulks.... to name a few!

LM - I'm so sorry your husband, and you, are going through the mill at the moment as if you've not had enough to cope with his previous illness. I hope that he soon makes a good recovery and you're able to relax a little.

Roobarb- great to hear you're going to meet up with one of your friends for a walk, and good to have a chat with your neighbour too.. opps good job you wrote on here about your front door... easily done to forget it if you don't normally have it unlocked...I've been out and not locked it.. fortunately I did remember to set the alarm!
I liked those series Back in Time... not sure if I've seen this one..

My Day

Awake quite early, tried to go back to sleep... no luck.. decided to organise an online shop and got one for Wednesday....
After breakfast I did some paperwork, paying bills and sent some money to my Yogalates teacher, she's worked so hard putting all her classes on FB, YouTube and Zoom . She's starting up again in the next small town but although only half people, own equipment etc etc I'm not inclined to go especially with people I don't know or haven't seen... our village hall isn't opening up yet, it's too small and would be a lot of work for us volunteer committee to do... and I live over the road from it I know who'd get asked to do it! So for now I'll continue with her online sessions.
Next was cleaning the house... unbelievable how many insects seem to come in to the conservatory! Gave it a thorough clean windows inside too using the new Koh product .. not bad on windows ..
Only did downstairs today had enough after that as didn't finish until after lunch...
went into the garden to do some more trimming and fork over the beds and weed... started to rain but finished off... didn't get round to doing irisis see what weather does tomorrow...
Decided to do some cooking so made a raspberry almond cake also has crushed amereto biscuits in and chunks of dark chocolate... very indulgent! Then thought I'd make some flap jacks got a recipe that uses rapeseed oil and honey to mix with oats and what ever takes your fancy...the rapeseed oil is produced in the village and sold widely, they also do dressings and other oils.
Found a recipe to use with chicken thighs I'd got out the freezer... red chilli with tomato paste, garlic olive oil whizzed together then coat chicken in and tomoates bake in oven... should put potatoes in too but didn't do that with our new ones! I added some fat free yogurt too, mushrooms and onions and made up some veg stock. New pots, first runner beans, courgette and broccoli stems... turned out ok quite hot but tasty!
OH decided to do his jigsaw after dinner so I finished the scrubs trousers off, just got drawcords to make and embroidered labels ... then I can start on the rainbow fabric!
Rained most of the evening... watched the news... now see face coverings will be mandatory from late July ...
time for bed... keep well and safe!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 02:53 BST (UK) »
Took me a while to get to sleep last night so consequently up later today.   Nice and sunny when I left for my hair appointment and so nice to finally get it done.    Put on my mask before entering the salon - the door was open and just inside the door there was sanitizer which I duly used.   I was told to pick out the cape one wears  and everything then progressed pretty much as usual.   The hairdressers were wearing masks - said that they do have visors but had abandoned them in favour of masks because a) they couldn't see very well and b) they kept steaming up and had to keep cleaning them.   (like us with glasses when we are wearing a mask).   Had taken off my glasses but my face got very warm wearing the mask.  It's only a small salon and one usually pays either by cash or cheque - said they were happy to still accept a cheque.   

Literally right next door to the salon is the post office and a cash machine.   Needed more cash so obtained this from cashpoint the minute I left the salon (after sanitizing again)and walked back to my car in the car park where I swiftly removed my mask.

Spoke to another neighbour for a while when I got home and then had a late lunch.   Unfortunately, unlike yesterday when the afternoon was a mixture of cloud and sunshine, today was just cloudy with quite a breeze although quite warm.    So, I didn't sit outside after all - after late lunch I poodled around on Rootschat for a while and whilst deciding what to do next I sat in front of my current jigsaw.   Fatal error - next thing I knew a couple of hours had gone by.   Felt a bit tired so reclined on the sofa and promptly fell asleep for almost an hour.  You other ladies who are so active put me to shame!

Forgot 'Long Lost Family - what happened next' was on again tonight so will watch on catch-up tomorrow.

Apart from the brief outbursts in the mornings it's forecast to be cloudy Tuesday to Thursday with sun returning on Friday for a few days so hope that happens.

The sun certainly lifts my spirits.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 11:14 BST (UK) »
I'll come back and have a proper read later.
Diary:
Glad to open the curtains on another bright morning.
Made an early raid on the bakers. Town was far busier at 09:00 than it has been, and possibly 1/3rd of people now wearing face coverings, so there is a percentage of people who are wary of contact and are trying to avoid crowds.
Walked through back streets to the sea front and met a couple of acquaintances on the way back to the flat. 
One elderly lady has had many physical problems lately, but is working hard at keeping fit to stay well, and a proud grandma with her small grand daughter. She is my "ReadEasy" supervisor and we discussed the viability of wearing visors to resume adult literacy sessions at the library. 
Returning home for morning coffee, as promised I messaged the elderly lady with contact details for the library choose & collect service currently in operation, and also my Reader to ask if she is ready, willing and able to pick up from where we left off in March.
Proposed Monday Morris dancing group meet up; a distanced walk from Torquay station to Cockington village, however, due to having slight cold symptoms I didn't join the group.
Spent some time reading and continued searching for information about my great grandmother's sisters.
ROOBARB: I watched a lovely programme on BBC4 where a chap (Canadian?) made a beautiful painting. He kept up a running commentary as he systematically popped in "happy little trees" and I found his manner delightful.  If you don't know about him I am sure  you would find him inspirational in your art work.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 13:20 BST (UK) »
Have now read all Monday diaries posted thus far.
RTL: glad to see you are somewhat encouraged by the re-opening of your libraries, and hope you can rise above the solipsistic people you encounter during your travels. It seems to me the vast majority of people do exactly as they please and to hell with the rest of the world, (which includes Thee and Me. :'( ) Hopefully you did, and will get a good sleep, before next shift.

Oh dear LM, you do have your hands full right now. Hopefully your husband will make a swift recovery from such a nasty accident.  I am inclined to agree with Roobarb that the trauma of your husband's injury may well have impacted on his other conditions.  I was listening to JV on radio2 yesterday about accidents falling off ladders.  Apparently quite aside from the physical, there can be  harsh and lasting mental impact too.  Whether or not a ladder was involved, I do feel a chat with the GP would be a good idea.  Perhaps you might phone if husband won't??
Good to know you have had interaction with some friends Roobarb, enjoy your walk in company on Tuesday.
So much baking and sewing and other constructive stuff done Caroline! You make me feel somewhat dilatory.  I note you are not bubbling over with delight at the efficacy of the Koh cleaning product.... not quite as good as the hype perhaps?
I have read The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri, which I agree was worth reading, and Tidelands by Philippa Gregory, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Haven't read Paris Echo by Sebastian Faulks as yet. I will look out for it.
Good to know you survived your trip to the salon Annette.  I don't see why you shouldn't keep busy and your mind actice while spending time on your jigsaw, unless there was something more pressing....housework doesn't count  ;) as that only wants doing again the next day!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 20:38 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse - the artist you mentioned is Bob Ross, I've seen several of the programme you mention on BBC4. He has a great talent in creating images and making it look so easy with his techniques. However ...... I have to admit that despite that I find his paintings rather twee. He uses Pthalo Blue a lot, it does have that effect if it's not greyed down a bit. I also noticed after watching a number of times that he does pretty much the same painting all the time - mountains with a lake in front, some large trees to the left. I saw a couple that he did of a sunset, again they were a bit twee for my taste. I'm grateful to you for mentioning it and his techniques are certainly worth watching, it's just the end results that are not to my taste. Sorry  :-[

Another book by Sebastian Faulks that I thought was excellent was Birdsong.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 21:18 BST (UK) »
Louisa May, I am sorry to hear about the accident and the health problems your husband is suffering.  It is a good thing he has you as his support.  All of this must be quite stressful for you too.  I hope things start to improve soon if not it will be better to get support from the doctor for him.  My heart does go out to people like you who have other significant problems going on in their lives as well as having  to cope with the confines of lockdown. 

Annette, I hadn't known that the hairdresser's visors might steam up.  I can understand your hairdresser dispensing with them in favour of masks. 
It is so easy for time to slip away away so quickly when you are engrossed in something you enjoy.  I am glad you enjoyed your jigsaw and this helped you relax and sleep later on. 

Thanks for all the supportive messages and more book suggestions.  I will have to check these out soon.

Not much to report from today.  It was my own fault as I forgot to switch my phone off - someone from the dentist's surgery rang wanting me to arrange another appointment.  I now have one for the end of September.  The call interrupted my sleep though and I wasn't able to get back off properly after that so I am feeling a bit out of sorts now.  I had intended to contact the dentist on my next day off to rearrange an appointment after I saw their cancellation text - so much for procrastination! ::)  Now I am waiting at the bus station for my second connection bus which will take me to nightshift.  I feel tomorrow morning won't come quick enough for me.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner