Author Topic: Trying to find the parents of William Vaughan & Sarah Frances Metcalfe  (Read 2127 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find the parents of William Vaughan & Sarah Frances Metcalfe
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 14:37 BST (UK) »
 :) ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
Well folks... my head's absolutely spinning from all this info..  After the birth of William VAUGHAN around 1860 in Hope, Flintshire, I don't feel I can confidently place him with the right family, so think I'll have to stop there.  It's sad really, because the research was intended as a surprise birthday present for a friend of mine, but I'll just have to give her what I've actually found. In the meantime, many thanks for all your great help....  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Trying to find parents of William Vaughan b.c. 1859, Hope, Flintshire
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 August 20 17:52 BST (UK) »
I now have the Marriage Certificate for William VAUGHAN and Sarah Frances METCALFE which took place in Gresford Parish church on 11 June 1853. He is 26, a Batchelor & Railway Servant, living in Birkenhead, and his father is John VAUGHAN, a Labourer.  She is age 22, a Spinster living in Gresford and her father is Thomas METCALFE, a Gardener.  The witnesses are John HUGHES & Emma METCALFE, and the HUGHES name could be a clue there ?  But who knows with most Welsh names appearing so many times in the same place .........Grrrrr
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 August 20 21:29 BST (UK) »
Looks very likely that he was stepson of John Hughes

I think children of single mums often combined their birth father and step parents name .

Ive spent days looking for a father named on marriage certificate only to get birth record which shows a single mum .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 August 20 09:55 BST (UK) »
I totally agree with brigidmac .

As posted earlier;

Looks to be William 1861 Census;
Hope, Flintshire
Griffith Jones 40 Head Mar Ag Lab
Sarah Jones 49 Wife Mar
Jane Vaughan 22 Step-Daug Unm
William Vaughan 2 Grandson
All born Hope

Jane likely married John HUGHES 17 Aug 1863 Hope, age 24/25 (FreeREG)

So his stepfather was a witness at the 1853 Marrriage.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 August 20 19:25 BST (UK) »
Really sorry folks - I should have said "I now have the Marriage Certificate for William VAUGHAN and Sarah Frances METCALFE which took place in Gresford Parish church on 11 June 1885".  Just put it down to the hot weather and a bout of Labrynthitis.   ::) ::) ::)  Also, the only birth for a Jane VAUGHAN around 1839 was one in Wrexham in 1840 with mother's maiden name HUGHES !  So here we go again, with more Hughes's to muddy the waters. (Sigh)

Offline DV_Staffs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 August 20 23:56 BST (UK) »
William Vaughan is the illegitimate child of Jane Vaughan who was in turn the illegitimate child of Sarah Vaughan and Thomas Williams.

Jane Vaughan did marry John Hughes four years after William's birth in 1863.

Sarah Vaughan, grandmother of William was born 1814 to William & Mary Vaughan.

William Vaughan was born circa 1789 and was a grit carrier at the time of her baptism soon to be a sand carrier, later a sand merchant. In the 1861 census he is a pauper sand merchant. He lived in Hope/Caergwrle all of his life but his eldest son moved down into Llandingad, Carmarthenshire.

He had another son named John but he died aged 5.

Sarah's cousin John Vaughan is the legendary "Sand Merchant of Caergwrle".

William's father is named John Vaughan but it's uncertain whether this is an alias or not. At the time of his birth he is known as John Vaughan of Caegrwley, Labourer.

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 August 20 06:54 BST (UK) »
Most intriguing DV and thank you !   But how on earth did you dig out all this information. :o :o :o

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 August 20 10:41 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat DV_Staffs.

Its good to see that we were on the right track with info re William/Jane/Sarah Vaughan etc.

Trish :)