Author Topic: Which John Gowland is "my" John Gowland?  (Read 212 times)

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which John Gowland is "my" John Gowland?
« on: Tuesday 14 July 20 14:19 BST (UK) »
John Gowland was a tailor in Yearby, near Kirkleatham. He was married twice (Elizabeth Harburn in 1777 and Mary Richardson formerly Rumford in 1804) and had at least seven children (twins Elizabeth and Ann 1778, John 1783, George 1793, Thomas 1805, Mary 1810 and Robert 1816). Baptisms, marriages and burials for John and his family all took place at St Cuthbert's church in Kirkleatham, although the parish registers make it clear that the family actually lived in Yearby.

Outliving both his wives, John died in 1823, aged 68, and was buried at Kirkleatham on 28 September. There are two possible baptisms for John:

John, son of George Gowland, baptised 24 August 1755 at Guisborough, Yorkshire

John, son of Richard Gowland, baptised 31 July 1757 in Kirkleatham, Yorkshire (although the PR states that family was living at West Coatham)

There are no marriages or burials for the John Gowland born at Guisborough which makes me lean more towards the Kirkleatham option. But the date is a little out if John was supposedly 68 when he died in 1823.

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated  ;D Thanks

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which John Gowland is "my" John Gowland?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
After a little more research into the families, I've discovered that John the son of Richard Gowland was also the son of Elizabeth Stamp, who Richard had married in 1757 at Kirkleatham. Richard died in 1761 and Elizabeth eventually married again in 1769 to Edward Corps at Kirkleatham. I don't have a burial for Elizabeth yet but I did find a burial for John Gowland's stepfather Edward Corps - a labourer of Yearby which is where John was living in the late 18th century. Is this too much of a reach?