Author Topic: Caernarfon death Annie Hughes  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Caernarfon death
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 18 July 20 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am struggling to find a Griffith Williams with father William in the Caernarvonshire censuses that tie in to Llanllyfni.

The 1851 census found earlier (Mabel Bagshawe) seems to tie in with the 1861 census and death I found in Segontium Terrace, so regrettably it looks like it could be a different family. The 1851 census details does not tie in with the 1845 marriage you mention -was Griffith single or a widower when he married Ann Thomas?
I tried to concentrate on Frances Williams to find the census details but on checking the GRO register for her birth  the only likely candidate didn't show Thomas as her mothers name - if fact is was blank.

This gets stranger and stranger

Alan

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 18 July 20 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

Not strange but weird! Griffith Williams is stated as a widower on the marriage certificate I am looking at now.

My gut feeling is to go with the Segontium Terrace family as THE one. Daughters are right, Annie's age on the 1861 census ties in with what I know of her birth date (1817/18) despite odd ages in future censuses, my grandfather John Henry Roberts married Annie's daughter Ann, and can follow them right up to1901 in Liverpool. Full history.

Can't seem to find 1851 Caernarfon address from Mabel Bagshawe.

So many things that are inexplicable in this saga.

Regards

Bradley

Think I am going to have to forget Griffith Williams roots.
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 18 July 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Bradley,

Don't give up!

Trying to Look at this from a different angle (working forward from William (a farmer) - only found one in Llanllyfni

1851 census at 62 Bron y Foel, Llanllyfni -

William William age 67 Farmer of 19 acres
Elinor - wife age 65
Both said to be born Llanllyfni

Found a baptism of Griffith Williams (with a father William and mother Elinor) at Pwllheli on 18 April 1814.

1851 census for Griffith and Ann at 95 Pool Street, Caernarvon -

Griffith Williams age38 Joiner born Llaniestyn
Ann age 35 born Llanbeblig
Margaret age 15 born Milllteyrn
Catherine G age 9 born Llaniestyn

Will look for a first marriage for Griffith as the children are probably not Ann's as they only married in 1845.

Keep going - perhaps a chink of light!

Alan

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 18 July 20 17:08 BST (UK) »
I think that the mother of Margaret was called Jane. I cannot find a baptism for Catherine in either Llaniestyn or Mellteyrn. There was a baptist chapel not far from Mellteyrn, so they might have been members there and a baby would not have been baptised.
A Jane Williams was buried at Mellteyrn on 29/02/1844.

I think her home might be important : 'Llanllyfni late of Pennant"
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 18 July 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Bradley,

Thanks to Huwcyn for the latest information. I thought Jane (Williams) had died in 1844 as the GRO has a death for her,, age 27 and that would likely fit the bill.

My current thinking is that she was called Jane Roberts but i will have to look into this more tomorrow.

Alan

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 18 July 20 18:50 BST (UK) »
Just to note the address in 1851 & 1861 don;t actually have house numbers. The number on the left of the image is just an entry number

Have found a death notice - on 12 A8gust 1867, Griffith Williams, cabinetmaker, of 11 Segontium Terrace

To be Sold by Private Treaty,
FREEHOLD HOUSE, situated in 11, Segontium Terrace, Carnarvon, containing two fine Kitchens, one Pantry, and Scullery, two Parlours, one large Sitting Room, one Double Bedroom, two Single ditto, thre fine rooms Attics. AIso, a YARD, with a DWELLING-ROOM attached, now occupied by the Cwmdyle Copper Mine Co, Apply to Mrs. GRIFFITH on the premises

Suggests they didn't live there that long before he died

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Caernarfon death Annie Hughes
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 19 July 20 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Bradley,

Could this be Griffith Williams first wife? -

Jane Parry - baptised 5 Feb 1815 at Mellteyrn - with possible marriage to Griffith on 11 April 1834 at Llanystumdwy.

GRO shows a birth of Catherine Williams in 1841 with a mothers maiden name of Parry. 

Alan

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 19 July 20 08:00 BST (UK) »
Good morning Alan,
Think we are almost there. Still a few puzzles - labourer Llàniestyn, farmer Llanllyfni, master joiner etc Caernarfon?
Why was Segontium Terrace for sale in 1865'when Griffith didn't die until 1867? Where was Annie prior to 1841. She was not at Is Helen - the Thomas family home.
I am sure the answers are out there, but I think 99 per cent of the main story are in place
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 19 July 20 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Bradley,

Yes I can think of a few questions for example who is the Ann Williams that died at Dolwenith in 1875 age 59? Also despite the age being so far out - why would an Ann Hughes from Liverpool be buried at Llanbeblig  - was it because her first husband Griffith Williams was there? Was the age incorrectly transcribed? Only by getting certificates are the answers to be found.
Was Griffith persuaded to get a trade as his father didn't want him to follow at the farm after he remarried Ann in 1845?

Always many questions but never enough answers.

Anyway digest what you have and see if you have other questions that we may be able to address.

Kindest regards

Alan