Author Topic: Caernarfon death Annie Hughes  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Caernarfon death
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 10:44 BST (UK) »
Another brick wall! Started looking in 1841 for Griffith Williams (Ann Thomas' first husband) who is said on his marriage certificate to be a farmer of Dolwenith, Llanllyfni, and father William Williams, also a farmer, plus witnesses at wedding in 1845 - Ellen Williams and Ellis Williams. There are three Griffith Williams, but all seem too young to be widowed. Also looked for Anne/Jane Thomas, but can't find her anywhere. Apart from trawling the whole of the 1841 census, I can't see how I can find her or nail down Griffith Williams.

Any suggestions.
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 21:04 BST (UK) »
Back on Annie Hughes - she may still be with us in 1895. The family was at no 2 in 1891

Mrs Hughes, 2, Uxbridge square, wrote asking the Council to put in a water supply at No. 12, and stating that she would pay the cost next May, and that she would sign an agreement to that effect. Ordered that water be laid on.

Carnarvon and Denbigh Herald 4th October 1895

The house was for sale in 1897, following an auction of household furniture etc in August 1897

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a burial of Ann Williams of Dolwenith on 6 Jan 1875 age 59 (grave number 197) at Salem Chapel, Llanllyfni.

Is this of interest?

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 July 20 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Some additional information from the Salem Chapel Booklet (1866-1992) that may interest you for the Dolweinith address. Burials -

12/1876 - Thomas Williams age 29 (0248)
2/1888 - Enid Roberts age 7 months (0634)
3/1889 - Aled Roberts age 6 months (0823)
9/1896 - Meredydd Roberts age 5 months (0892)
12/1896 - Cadfan Roberts age 8 months (0903)
7/1902 - Rice Roberts age 49 (0983)
1944 - Robert Jones age 70 (1363)

There are also burials for Ellen Williams; Ellin Williams; Jane Thomas and Ann Thomas but can you give an address or dates of birth so I can see if any of the entries may be relative to you.

Presumably if they are buried at Salem Chapel, Griffith Williams and his father William died pre 1866. The Gwynedd FHS booklet for the earlier period may be helpful to track them down.

Alan

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 July 20 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all Rootschatters who have (and still are) helping me get back on track after burglary and subsequent fire destroyed most pf my research.Can I impose on your generosity one last time and asked if someone could give me the inhabitants of 2 and 12 Uxbridge Square, Caernarfon, in 1861, 1871 and 1881. Will be eternally grateful, and apologise for the imposition.

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 July 20 19:27 BST (UK) »
I can do 1881 easily as I can search by address

2 Uxbridge Sq

John G. Davies    21 - b Bettws Garmon, private school teacher
Jane Davies    23 - sister, housekepper
David Hughes    23 - lodger, assistant schoolmaster
Catharine Jones    19 - servant
William Hughes    15 - scholar
Hugh Hughes    12 - scholar
George J. Johnston    13 - scholar
William Hemar    10 - scholar

12 Uxbridge Sq (all b Llanbeblig except as shown)

John H. Roberts    33 - prof of music, b Llandegai
Annie Roberts    28
John H.W. Roberts    3
A.E. Roberts    1 - daughter
Robert H.J. Roberts     - 3 months
Annie Hughes    59 - widow. No relationship or occupation given
Ann Williams    20 - sister in law
Jane Jones    17 - servant

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 July 20 19:50 BST (UK) »
I've been digging in the Welsh Newspaper archive instead. 1873 is the earliest I can find for either address - not sure if that's because of the newspaper on the Welsh database, or that's when they were newly built

No 2
 I can see an HH Davies  in 1873, and a George Siddons in 1879. The former isn't easy to track down. The latter is still in Caernarvon in 1881, an unemployed schoolmaster living with his wife & schoolmistress sisters in law (all from Yorkshire)

No 12

May 1875 - Mr. J. C. Getley, North and South Wales Bank  (wife has baby)

Sept 1875

NORTH WALES TRAINING SCHOOL OF MUSIC, 12, UXBRIDGE SQUARE, CARNARVON.
PROFESSOR: MR JOHN HENRY ROBERTS (PENCERDD GWYNEDD), Pupil
of Sir W. Sterndale Bennett, Mus. Dr., M.A., D.C.L.; Associate of the Royal Academy of Music, London; Local Examiner, by appointment, of in- tending candidates to the Royal Academy Holds a first-class diploma from the above Institution; Composer of the Chief Prize Musical Composition, Cantata, "The Gorsedd Ode" at the Bangor Royal Eisteddfod, awarded twenty Guineas and a Gold Medal.

THIS SCHOOL has been established for the purpose of encouraging the study of music in the Principality, and of enabling ladies and gentlemen to obtain sound Musical Instruction. The Branches taught include- PIANOFORTE HARMONIUM ORGAN SINGING HARMONY COMPOSITION

The system of teaching is based on that of the ROYAL ACADEMY- OF Music LONDON. Composers Every advantage will be given to students anxious to excel as Pianoforte-players, Singers, and composers.

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 July 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
Have found a useful site

2 Uxbridge Square    
Humphrey Davies    Head    U    29    School Master (employing 1 assistant)     Llanddeiniolen    
Mary Owen    Servant    U    25    General Servant (Domestic)     Amlwch    
William Cook    Assistant    U    19    Assistant Master    SCOTLAND    
Thomas Jones    Boarder    U    15    Pupil     Llanddeiniolen    
 Richard Cadwalader    Boarder    U    20    Pupil     Llanwnda

12 Uxbridge Square    - familiar!

John Hughes    Head    M    69    Retired Master Mariner     Llanddyfnan    
Anne Hughes    Wife    M    51    Retired Master Mariner's Wife     Llanbeblig    
Annie Williams    Daughter    U    18    Retired Master Mariner's Daughter    Llanbeblig    
Frances Williams    Daughter         14    Retired Master Mariner's Daughter     Llanbeblig    
Margaret J. Jones    Servant    U    16    General Servant Domestic    CAE Llanbeblig     

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 July 20 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Mabel Bagshawe,

Thank you so much for all the information you provided. I am deeply grateful.

John Henry Roberts became a lodger at 12 Uxbridge square late 1874 early 1875 after he set up a music school in Bethesda following his graduation from the Royal Academy of Music. He subsequently got the widow Hughes' daughter Annie pregnant, marrying her in Bangor well away from prying Caernarfon eyes, and giving his address as Mynydd Llandegai, where the Roberts family home was.  He later bought No 2 Uxbridge square and everyone moved there, the widow Hughes letting out No 12. The Roberts family plus sister-in-law Francis (not Ann as it is on the 1881 census) but not sure of the widow Hughes, moved to Liverpool in 1896/97. The widow Hughes seems to have been independently wealthy; I remember a newspaper cutting in a scrapbook (now gone) saying she had built three house in Caernarfon for sale. Don't know where the money came from as she came from a relatively poor family. Perhaps money from her late husbands.

Once again, many thanks for all your help.