Author Topic: Ancestry's new Messaging and loss of old folders  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry's new Messaging and loss of old folders
« on: Tuesday 14 July 20 19:38 BST (UK) »
Has anyone else received an email from Ancestry as follows...? Does this mean all the old messages will disappear as well, or just the folders they sit in?  ???  And what format will these folders be in when they download to your computer?

We’re excited to let you know that the New Ancestry® Messaging experience is live in your account. You’re now ready to begin collaborating with friends and family with this streamlined feature.

While we are happy to share our latest innovations with you, we recognise that you had folders in the old message centre. Unfortunately, the New Ancestry® Messaging does not support folders.

To help you transition without losing important information, we’ve added the ability to download your folders until August 31, 2020. Simply visit the New Ancestry® Messaging centre and click Download Folders to download your folders to your computer.

We understand that message organisation is important, and we are continuing to work on ways to improve this in the new system. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and are happy to answer any of your questions at Ancestry® Support.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry's new Messaging and loss of old folders
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
The downloads come as the folders you originally created, and then within them the original messages are as text files.

I have no idea what Ancestry are thinking in deciding that it'll be BETTER not to have a facility to save both incoming and sent messages within folders by surname/ancestral line etc.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Belgium/East London.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 10:17 BST (UK) »
Text files. That'll be nice and easy to use  ::) ::)

Ancestry is also messing with DNA matches, cutting down on the number they show. It makes me think it's all geared to simplify and pull in younger phone users who probably won't stay the course - but Ancestry will have got their sub from them. I suppose they know the die-hards, particularly DNA users, will put up with it all. Shocking way to treat loyal users.

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 15:55 BST (UK) »
I spent time to sort my emails into folders by family name(s), so yes, I'm ticked that they have now removed that feature.  I downloaded as suggested, but still get asked every time I access the messaging centre to 'download'. 

There is also not always an email notification that you have a message waiting, and if you do get the email, you have to log in to Ancestry to read it (you used to see the message in the email itself).

Annoying - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 July 20 07:07 BST (UK) »
I nearly missed  message , although the message numbers had changed, unless you know to extend the drop down list you may not see it.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 July 20 07:44 BST (UK) »
I was astounded to receive an e-mail last informing me that another Ancestry user had sent me a message.  This hasn't happened for months, even though I have been receiving messages at Ancestry. 

It was from someone  who could see that I had some of his family in my private tree (the sibling of one of my ancestors married the sibling of one of his ancestors) and was wondering if I knew where his gt-grandparents married.  I did, and despite us being 12 timezones apart he had the answer in a couple of hours.

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 July 20 07:51 BST (UK) »
I had a few of my old messages disappear which was annoying as I wanted to download the attachments to my laptop. 
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 July 20 09:56 BST (UK) »
The other thing I cannot currently see with the Ancestry messaging system is an option to delete a message
 - which I might want to do
a) when I have all the information within another setting (eg on an email/within my tree
b) if it's an enquiry which turns out to be not for my relative

Things will always change, I understand that, and often it's for the better - but I'm struggling to see what the advantages are for the new system.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Belgium/East London.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 July 20 10:40 BST (UK) »
The new system appeared for me today. No choice but to accept it or you can't see your messages. I downloaded the folders. As Igor says, the messages themselves are in text files. Not terribly user friendly.

On another note, I had thought that all the messages in the folders also would be deleted from the new system but that doesn't seem to be the case. They're still there but grouped by Ancestry member/DNA match, the same as you see on a smart phone. Is this right - will we at least be able to keep the messages, even if not hold them in folders?