Author Topic: Ancestry's new Messaging and loss of old folders  (Read 5133 times)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry's new Messaging and loss of old folders
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 July 20 11:09 BST (UK) »
It's terrible and it won't download my messages. I'll give it a few days to allow for teething troubles to be ironed out before I complain. I have done a reboot so it's their fault, my folders downloaded OK.

I'm not happy about improvements done that take over from things that work well with less to offer and some things I use missing on this occasion folders and delete. :o ::) ???
GEDmatch M157477

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 July 20 17:03 BST (UK) »
Remember the motto:
"New" does not always mean "Improved"
Well, it's now:
"New" ALMOST NEVER means "Improved"
!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 July 20 08:05 BST (UK) »
I did contact Ancestry a few days ago when I became frustrated about not being able to access some full messages that I had from people.  I did let them know that I think things are not as good as they used to be with this.  It is irritating  that they have decided to fix something that wasn't broken and have made things so much harder into the bargain.  :-\
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 July 20 13:49 BST (UK) »
I have also sent them a "cross" e Mail along the lines of if it ain't broke... not that I suppose it will make a pennorth of difference. I have also missed several messages as they seem to fall down to the nether regions of the awful list on the left of the page. I get a full 3 or 4 minutes of buffering before it will even open anything. I cannot answer a message on my phone as the answer box is underneath my keyboard and I cannot see what I am writing. As mentioned earlier  it was possible to see the message from the E Mail without even going to Ancestry but that has gone. When I do get a persons messages open, they are all mixed up date wise which is impossible. >:( Rant over -sorry-
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 July 20 16:02 BST (UK) »
Perhaps they'll notice if we ALL cancell our subscription?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 July 20 10:24 BST (UK) »
I have downloaded the 3 folders that I had made up, but there are many emails outside of folders.  They haven't downloaded.  Does that mean that at some stage soon, I will lose the information in them or does anyone know of an easy way to manage this?

thanks in advance, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 July 20 10:39 BST (UK) »
I had got the impression that all messages in the folders, inbox and sent box would disappear but they seem to have survived, just grouped under the person the message was sent to/received from, similar to how you see them on a smart phone. I'm hoping this means they'll stay for good. I'd be interested to hear what others who have the new, improved  ::) system can see.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 July 20 10:43 BST (UK) »
I thought it was just the FOLDERS which were vanishing, thereby leaving all users with all the previous unfiled messages in a great clump.

Whilst I remain unable to see ANY advantage of this to me, I am looking forward to having the huge message about the download requirements (yes, thank you, I've already done it) vanish so that I can see more than just the top three or so messages still remaining.

Bit cross about it all, can you tell?   ;)

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 July 20 11:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.  I hope all the 'loose' emails not in folders, just the In Box, don't disappear on 1 September  ::)
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie