Author Topic: Arthur William Ince/Inch/Ines born abt 1856 in Essex but lived in Chislehurst.  (Read 374 times)

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Arthur William INCE was born in Belchamp St Paul, Essex, in about 1856 according to the 1911, 1901& 1891censuses, all taken in Chislehurst, Kent.  The 1911 census states that his wife is Mary (Mary A in 1901), that they have been married 33 years (so about 1878) and have had 8 children, all living.  The GRO gives the maiden name for all 8 children as GARROD.  Arthur William’s wife was born in Hackney in all 3 censuses.

Problems: 
I cannot find the marriage
and
I cannot find either Arthur INCE (or any credible variation), or Mary A INCE (or GARROD) in the 1881 census.

The water is muddied by what appears to be Arthur William INCE’s brother Charles (born about 1866), marrying Lillian/Lillie GARROD (who appears to be Mary A GARROD’s sister), in Bromley Registration District in 1894.  Bromley covers Chislehurst and both Arthur William & Charles live in Chislehurst and all their 11 children are born there!

I have struggled with this for over a week! Any advice would be very welcome!

Malcolm
Adkins, Alford, Alfred, Allford, Armitt, Atkins, Atkinson, Berry, Blackberry. Blackbury, BLAND, Boaden, Boardman, Bowden, Carpenter, Lister, Malsbury, Mason, McAra, Mawle, Mery, Mold, Newth, Pargitter, Park, Pritchard, Quiney, Quinney, Rawlinson, Rollinson, Rowlinson, Rowledge, Sprute, Stuart, Sugden, Tyler

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur William Ince/Inch/Ines born abt 1856 in Essex but lived in Chislehurst.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 23:11 BST (UK) »
INEE, ARTHUR
Mother's maiden surname: REEVE     
GRO Reference: 1856  D Quarter in SUDBURY  Volume 04A  Page 347

Arthur INCH
Birth Date:    3 Nov 1856
Baptism Date:    25 Dec 1856
Baptism Place:    Belchamp St Paul, Essex, England
Father:    Walter INCH
Mother:    Sarah

Walter and Sarah married in the Dec quarter 1856.

If you are using Ancestry Arthur is indexed as A. JONAH in 1881.

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur William Ince/Inch/Ines born abt 1856 in Essex but lived in Chislehurst.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 23:16 BST (UK) »
With difficult surnames just search for what you would expect to find and leave out the surname.  In this case, Arthur born 1856 +/-2  Belchamp, wife Mary, living in Chislehurst.  Then just look at the original images.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 23:54 BST (UK) »
Arthur William Ince was buried at St James C of E Church North Cray Kent on 14 September 1929. His address was Vale Mascal Cottage.

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 01:39 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks Debra & Gibel.

I had the date of death for Arthur William & checked his probate, but I had not looked for his burial.  Now it wil be possible for my brother & niece to visit the grave.  Thank you, Gibel.

I had also found & have almost accepted the baptism and parents of Arthur William but I am never happy until I have 3 primary sources for proof and as my sister in law's father was Arthur William & her grandfather was Arthur William & her gt-grandfather was Arthur William, I was not entirely happy to have a baptism without the name William!  I had searched the entire Belchamp St Paul 1871 census and noted Arthur & Charles with the correct ages with Walter & Sarah for parents & I found the Reeves family there too!  But to be absolutely certain I need the marriage certificate! I want to see Arthur marrying Mary A Garrod and I want to see his father given as Walter.  That's why  my first priority was to find the marriage (to back up my suspicions)!  Belt & braces!! ;D  I supect that the Garrod father was Thomas, a tailor but unless there is a mistranscription by the enumerator, he must have married twice!  So that means a search for the mother of Mary Ann!
rst because I had not considered when they left Belchamp (or Homerton), and I s
I had also tried using first names for the census but had not used Chislehuee with hindsight that that was a silly mistake by me!  So thanks for the Census solution for 1881, Debra.

Any ideas about the marriage?  ???

Many thanks, again,

Malcolm
Adkins, Alford, Alfred, Allford, Armitt, Atkins, Atkinson, Berry, Blackberry. Blackbury, BLAND, Boaden, Boardman, Bowden, Carpenter, Lister, Malsbury, Mason, McAra, Mawle, Mery, Mold, Newth, Pargitter, Park, Pritchard, Quiney, Quinney, Rawlinson, Rollinson, Rowlinson, Rowledge, Sprute, Stuart, Sugden, Tyler

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 01:47 BST (UK) »
duplicate post on essex board

suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 03:57 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann says she was born in Hackney anywhere between about 1857 and 1860.

GARROD, MARY  ANN ELIZABETH
Mother's maiden surname: BRATT     
GRO Reference: 1861  M Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 361 Marriages Jun 1859 

BRATT, Mary Ann       
GARROD, Thomas
St Geo Han Sq    1a   366

That Mary Ann is with her parents at Hackney in 1871, Thomas is a Tailor.  This is the couple that had a daughter Lillian in 1868.

There are actually quite a few possibilities for a birth for Mary Ann that have a Hackney connection.

It wouldn't be all that unusual for them not to have bothered marrying but with two surnames that are easily mistranscribed/misspelt it may just be that they are hiding somewhere.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 04:20 BST (UK) »
Where do you see Arthur calling himself Arthur William?

I supect that the Garrod father was Thomas, a tailor but unless there is a mistranscription by the enumerator, he must have married twice! 

He may have remarried in 1880 to Mary HAWES, occupation Tailor and a widower.  The children with Thomas in 1891 match the GARROD/HAWES birth registrations.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 08:38 BST (UK) »
duplicate post on essex board

suz

Thanks Suz, I wish I'd known that this was here before I went to the trouble of typing up the 1871 census on the Essex board earlier today  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk