Author Topic: William Budden and Elizabeth Breadstry married 1 May 1800 Winslade, Hampshire  (Read 421 times)

Offline Bitzer1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I would be very grateful for any help in tracing the birth and parentage of William Budden and Elizabeth Breadstry, who married on 1 May 1800 in Winslade, Hampshire.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Budden and Elizabeth Breadstry married 1 May 1800 Winslade, Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 07:41 BST (UK) »
Not a lot of help, but both Phillimore and Pallot Indices show Elizabeth as being of the parish of Kempshot.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Bitzer1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Budden and Elizabeth Breadstry married 1 May 1800 Winslade, Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.  All help is welcome.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 14:25 BST (UK) »
Do you know when either William or Elizabeth died?  Do they appear on the 1841 census at all?

If so what are their ages then, and were they born in Hampshire?

I have found a burial for a William Budden aged 56 in Basingstoke in 1831.  I'm not having much luck yet with a baptism for either him or Elizabeth at the moment.

Were their children William, George, Charles, Betsy, Sally, and John?

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lobbzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 14:34 BST (UK) »
On ancestry there is a death cert for Eliz - DoD 16/11/1865 aged 90 Church Lane Basingstoke - widow of William Budden - Tailor.
Lobb (plymouth + devon + Gosport London), Ford (stepney Bow), Baynton(philedelphia) Barnes (Wimborne), Hopwood (Little Drayton), Winter (Malta), Teague (IOW)

Offline Bitzer1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 14:52 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Lobbzz.  This fits with the 1841 census, and the earlier death of William Budden.

Little Nell, we seem to be researching the same family.  I have William Budden age 56, burial 16 May 1831 Basingstoke.  I have these as the likely children of William Budden and Elizabeth Breadstry:

William Budden baptism 29 March 1801 Basingstoke
George Budden baptism 29 May 1803 Basingstoke
Sally Elizabeth Budden baptism 25 Jan 1810 Basingstoke
John Budden baptism 20 Oct 1815 Basingstoke

And these as their possible children (possible because there is no mention of Basingstoke):

Charles Budden baptism 27 Dec 1805 Hants
Betsy Budden baptism 1 Sept 1808 Hampshire

I have not been able to link them through a census return, although, of course, by 1841 most of the children would have been married anyway.

The 1841 census has Elizabeth Holloway 65 and John Holloway 25 living in Church Lane, Basingstoke, which might be them.

Sally Budden married William Holloway 8 July 1835 in Reading, Berks.  I may have found them in the 1841 census living in Reading.

Offline lobbzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 15:13 BST (UK) »
here go
Lobb (plymouth + devon + Gosport London), Ford (stepney Bow), Baynton(philedelphia) Barnes (Wimborne), Hopwood (Little Drayton), Winter (Malta), Teague (IOW)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 15:29 BST (UK) »
I'm not actually researching this family - just trying to help out!

Betsy and Charles were both baptised in Basingstoke, from a PR transcript.

Having looked at the 1841 census (I think you mean Elizabeth Budden and John Budden in Church Lane, not Holloway  ;) ) I see that Elizabeth was not born in Hampshire.  If this is your Elizabeth, then in 1851 she is still at Church Lane and says she was born in Suffolk.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bitzer1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Nell,

Apologies, my mistake, I meant Elizabeth and John Budden in the 1841 census.  The marriage says "William Budden and Elizabeth Breadstry of Kempshot" (a transcription, I have not seen the original).  Kempshott is part of Basingstoke, so perhaps that just means they were both living there and not necessarily born there. 

I cannot find a record of Elizabeth Breadstry's birth in either Blacksall, Suffolk or in Kempshott, Hants, although I imagine Breadstry (if that was her maiden name and not a transcription error) was a rare name. I also cannot find her in the 1861 census, although she died at the same address, Church Lane, Basingstoke, given in her 1841 and 1851 census returns.

Thanks for the birthplaces of Betsy and Charles.