Author Topic: Edward Hilder of Westham  (Read 462 times)

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Hilder of Westham
« on: Wednesday 15 July 20 05:03 BST (UK) »
Kia ora

I am trying to find this couple's marriage see details below.  I have been on OCP, Ancestry, Freereg and a few other sites.

Nga mihi
Bronwen Summers
Aotearoa

Edward Hilder husband Sarah ? father of William Hilder
b.1620 Mar 4 St Mary, Westham, East Sussex, Eng.
m.1645
d.1658 Nov 4 Edward Hilder of Langley in Westham son of Thomas Hilder jurat, St Mary, Westham, Sussex, Eng.

Sarah ? wife of Edward Hilder mother of William Hilder
b.
m.1645
d.1656 Jan 15 wife of Mr Edward, St Mary, Westham, East Sussex, Eng.  assume this is her
Children 6
1645 Jan 27-1649 Feb 28 Elisabeth Hilder, St Mary, Westham, East Sussex, Eng.
1648 May 25 Thomas Hilder, St Mary, Westham, East Sussex, Eng.
1649 Feb 26 Edward Hilder, St Mary, Westham, East Sussex, Eng.
1652 July 18 William Hilder, St Mary, Westham, East Sussex, Eng.
1652 July 18 Richard Hilder, St Mary, Westham, East Sussex, Eng.
1655 Jan 15-Feb 7 Sarah Hilder, St Mary, Westham, East Sussex, Eng.

Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Hilder of Westham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
This is a bit of a puzzle to sort out.

There appears to be no suitable marriage prior to 1645 for Edward Hilder to a Sarah in Sussex.  The earliest is in 1653 for Edward Hilder and Sarah Saunders in Wadhurst.

There were two men named Edward Hilder who died within a year of one another.  Both left wills:

Edward Hilder, jurat of Pevensey PROB 11/285/31 pr 1 Dec 1658

Edward Hilder, gentleman of Langley PROB 11/293/98 proved 9 Jun 1659

The first one mentions children, but gives no names.  However he does give the names of his father-in-law and brother in law.  His father in law is Nicholas Saunders of Wadhurst, brother in law is John Saunders.  This leads me to believe that his wife was Sarah Saunders whom he married in 1653.  Sarah seems to have died following the birth of her daughter Sarah.

The other Edward's will is a nuncupative will with no mention of any relations at all.

The PR transcripts record the burial of Elizabeth wife of Mr Edward Hilder in 1657.  Since this is after Sarah's death and no marriage of Edward to an Elizabeth, then it seems as if his wife was Elizabeth.

Both wills mention Sir Thomas Dyke - in fact he is an executor of the first Edward's will.

The children born before 1653 are not the children of Edward and Sarah, but another Edward and his wife, probably named Elizabeth.  Richard & William born in 1652 would fall into this category.  Richard was buried a few months later in November 1652 and William possibly in March the following year.   Is he your possible ancestor?

Lots of leads and clues, but they are very confusing.  ::)

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 20:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all of this, I shall have another go at it.  I am following Richard Hilder so need to check again who his parents are.

nga mihi
Bronwen
Aotearoa
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 July 20 00:06 BST (UK) »
Kia ora

I have access to Sussex Family History group records, OPC, Ancestry, My Heritage and Wikitree. I cannot find this man's birth, I was on the wrong track as you said - and I have since seen it - the one I had died later the year he was born.  Someone had already said in a previous post that the place where Richard Holder I had was born, Westham, and where he married was quite some distance.  I have checked the records for Warnham and no sign of him being born.  There is a Richard son of Richard born in 1636 in Southwich on Ancestry.  on FMY (can see but not the details until I go to the library) 2 in Withyham 1611 & 1613, one in Rotherfield in 1623.  I am not sure about those places in terms of distance to where he married. I shall look into that.

Any help really appreciated

Nga mihi
Bronwen in Aotearoa

Richard Holder husband of Mary Willett
b.
m.1678 May 24 Mary Willett, St Margaret, Warnham, West Sussex, Eng.
d.1690 Feb 6 St Andrew, Nuthurst, West Sussex, Eng.  Death:  1728 • Mickleham, St Michael, Surrey, England

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 July 20 11:06 BST (UK) »
Warnham is a parish in the Sussex/Surrey border and this might indicate that a search of Surrey records might be worthwhile, especially since you are unable to find him in Sussex.  If you use the Sussex pages at Genuki, you will be able to see the outline of the individual parishes.  Using the 'Nearby Places' tab on the Warnham page:
https://www.genuki.org.uk/node/99370/churches/3
brings up a proper map showing the county border and you can see how close it is.

Although the likely time-frame for a birth-date could be anything from 1640 to 1660.  That coincides with the difficult commonwealth period in English parish records, when the records were not always kept, or kept properly according to requirements of the time.  So it may be missing  :(

I'm a little confused by the two death dates.

I appreciate also that names can often change in terms of how they are recorded often based on how they sound, but Holder and Hilder are a little bit further apart in terms of sound.  The line you are following is recorded as Holder?  Is this consistent in the records that you have found so far?  I have checked the original register for the marriage and it is very clearly Holder.  Unfortunately there is no additional information other than the couple's names and date of the ceremony.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 July 20 11:28 BST (UK) »
Many many thanks Nell. 
The two dates are just the only ones I found for Richard Holder in Sussex there are none for either him nor his wife in Cowfold where their kids were born. 

I will look at the other aspects of it tomorrow, off to bed now.

Nga mihi
Bronwen

Richard Holder married Mary Willett of Cowfold see below.

Mary Willett wife of Richard Holder mother of Richard Holder
b.1652 June 8 St Peter, Cowfold, West Sussex, Eng.
m.1678 May 24 Richard Holder, St Margaret, Warnham, West Sussex, Eng. 
d
Children 7
1679-1722 Ann Holder, Cowfold, Sussex, Eng.
1681-1681 Mary Holder, Cowfold, Sussex, Eng.
1681-1728 Richard Holder jnr, Cowfold, Sussex, Eng.
1685-1685 Apr William Holder, Cowfold, Sussex, Eng.
1686-1742 William Holder, Cowfold, Sussex, Eng.
1689-1751 Elizabeth Holder, Cowfold, Sussex, Eng.
1690 Mary Holder, Cowfold, Sussex, Eng.