Author Topic: John McNay  (Read 1479 times)

Offline McNay Family History (Marc)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Tracing the history of the "McNay" Family.
    • View Profile
John McNay
« on: Wednesday 15 July 20 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I'm from Australia and I've hit a brick wall with my Great Great Great Grandfather John McNay. I've searched so many sites with misleading or wrong information.

I only know that he was born in 1832 in Scotland and that he passed away at the age of 26 in Oakbank, Balhannah, South Australia, Australia, aged 26
I also know with searching with Ancestry, that he arrived on the "Hyderabad" ship that sailed from London 23rd November 1853 & Southampton 7th December 1853, arrive in Port Adelaide, South Australia, Australia 14th March 1854. Going by that record, he came with Elizabeth Rogerson and she was born in 1833 and passed away in 1875 in Oakbank, Balhannah, South Australia, Australia.

Once in Australia, they had 2 children, George (my Great Great Grandfather (1855-1923) & John (1856-1909), both born in Mount Charles, Onkaparinga, South Australia.

After John senior passed away in 1858, Elizabeth gave birth to Janet McNay (1861-1886) the father is "unknown", she was born in Oakbank, Balhannah, South Australia, Australia. (With research found out David Chamberlain was the father)

In 1870, she married David Chamberlain (1828-1902)and had another 2 kids, Albert (1871-1914) & Henry (1873-1959) both in Oakbank, Balhannah, South Australia, Australia.

In 1839 James McNay (1807-1877), his wife Jean (Jane) Johnstone (1804-1847) & children, John (1826-1860), Archibald (1829-1909), Jane (1833-1891) & Gilchrist (Born at sea) were aboard the "David Clark" Ship that left Greenock, Scotland on 15 June 1839 and arrived at Port Phillip on 27 October 1839. They had 2 more children once in Australia, Margaret (1842-1918 & Lillias (1845-1932).

I'm not sure if both families are related. A lot of people on Ancestry have the "John" I'm looking for as the "John" from the family I just mentioned, but it cant be, as the "John" from James & Jean McNay, drowned in Victoria, Australia in 1860.

Ii's been so frustrating the past few months trying to find his parents/siblings etc etc.

So if anyone can help with my "John" it'll be very much appreciated.
Researching:
McNay, Kerr, Emmins.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McNay
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 08:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, McNay could even be from Ireland?

Skoosh.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 08:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
On the paper work it says Dumfries, or so I think that's what it says. He was a Farmhand, aged 24

Marc
Researching:
McNay, Kerr, Emmins.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 10:02 BST (UK) »
I also know that he arrived on the "Hyderabad" ship that sailed from London 23rd November 1853 & Southampton 7th December 1853, arrive in Port Adelaide, South Australia, Australia 14th March 1854.

In 1839 James McNay (1807-1877), his wife Jean (Jane) Johnstone (1804-1847) & children, John (1826-1860), Archibald (1829-1909), Jane (1833-1891) & Gilchrist (Born at sea) were aboard the "David Clark" Ship that left Greenock, Scotland on 15 June 1839 and arrived at Port Phillip on 27 October 1839.

I'm not sure if both families are related. A lot of people on Ancestry have the "John" I'm looking for as the "John" from the family I just mentioned, but it cant be, as the "John" from James & Jean McNay, drowned in Victoria, Australia in 1860.
The fact that 'your' John arrived in Australia 14 years after the John in this family is also evidence that he's the wrong John.

Don't trust anything you find online unless it's an image of an original document, and even then be wary as mistakes happen. In particular don't trust online family trees. They can be handy for pointing you to an original source, but cannot be relied on to be correct.

There's a family in Kirkmahoe in the 1851 census with a son John, aged 17, but this is not your John because he is still in Kirkmahoe in all the readily available later censuses.

There are only two other John McNays of roughly the right age in the 1851 census, one born and living in Liverpool and one born in Biggleswade and living in London.

I've searched so many sites with misleading or wrong information.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 July 20 07:40 BST (UK) »

There's a family in Kirkmahoe in the 1851 census with a son John, aged 17, but this is not your John because he is still in Kirkmahoe in all the readily available later censuses.

There are only two other John McNays of roughly the right age in the 1851 census, one born and living in Liverpool and one born in Biggleswade and living in London.

I don't think it can be the Biggleswade one, as a John McNay comes up in the 1861 & 1871 born in Biggleswade 1833. ??? ???
Researching:
McNay, Kerr, Emmins.

Online purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Marc

My ancestors where McNays and I found that sometimes it was written as McKay, so my advice is when you do a search for your family type it in the search engine as Mc*ay and this should bring up alternatives as it could easily have been mistranscribed. Hope this helps  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 22:49 BST (UK) »
I am attaching a couple of possibles to look at from 1851 census.

EDIT - I see the second has already been discounted.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 September 21 08:37 BST (UK) »
Marc, have these Johns been researched and discounted?

www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5902e6d6e9379091b1cff181/john-mcnay-1841-dumfriesshire-dryfesdale-1831-?locale=en

or,

www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5902e794e9379091b1d2d403/john-mcnae-1841-dumfriesshire-dumfries-1831-?locale=en (I think this birth entry www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT1B-MKM)

Monica

Not the second one as that John married Isabella Drife, also he passed away in 1875.

The first one is my best lead as I've came across it in the past. But I can't find any more information on anyone in that house hold. Its like they all diappeared
Researching:
McNay, Kerr, Emmins.