Author Topic: Ancestry removing matches less than 8cM  (Read 11481 times)

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry removing matches less than 8cM
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 July 20 04:26 BST (UK) »
Based on the new matches I have received in the last two months, I estimate that when Ancestry do change to matching only 8cM and above, I will lose approximately 70% of my matches. So they may have the largest database but will only show a fraction of your matches.
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 17 July 20 07:53 BST (UK) »
I have been baffled by one of my aunt's matches. It is a 5-8th cousin match, so estimated 5th-8th cousin 6cm across 1 segment, but with two shared matches!
One of the shared matches is 130cm across 6 segments and and the other is 30 across 1 segment.
Please explain Ancestry...

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 17 July 20 08:24 BST (UK) »
At the top of page when I logged in this morning
"Updates coming soon to DNA matches
We’re making changes that will improve the accuracy and quality of your DNA matches."

At the same time they've tinkered with my thrulines. Added loads of potential ancestors.

They've given me a potential 5 x great grandfather dates: 1792 - 1871 and says I have DNA match.
The trouble is my 4 x great grandfather, the supposed son of this man was born in 1757. Fortunately they haven't removed my real 5 x great grandfather. I do have a DNA match with descendants of the man they suggest, he is the son of one of my 4 x great grandfather's siblings. There is another suggestion on another line which they have obviously got from a plethora of incorrect trees where someone decided my 4 x great grandfather fathered his first child in wedlock at age 6 or 7 and a pre-marital one a couple of years earlier.

Presumably another change to "improve accuracy".
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 17 July 20 09:57 BST (UK) »
Our updated matching algorithm can show you the length of the longest segment you share with your matches.

But not which chromosome it's on  ::) ::)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 17 July 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
We’re making changes that will improve the accuracy and quality of your DNA matches."

At the same time they've tinkered with my thrulines. Added loads of potential ancestors.

They've given me a potential 5 x great grandfather dates: 1792 - 1871 and says I have DNA match.
The trouble is my 4 x great grandfather, the supposed son of this man was born in 1757. Fortunately they haven't removed my real 5 x great grandfather. I do have a DNA match with descendants of the man they suggest, he is the son of one of my 4 x great grandfather's siblings. There is another suggestion on another line which they have obviously got from a plethora of incorrect trees where someone decided my 4 x great grandfather fathered his first child in wedlock at age 6 or 7 and a pre-marital one a couple of years earlier.

Presumably another change to "improve accuracy".

just rechecked the supposed 5 x great grandfather although name was the same, the birth year is 6 years out and birth location is wrong. He is not the William I thought but a totally unrelated one. There is a DNA symbol by this spurious ancestor so I thought it meant I had a match. But I have found the symbol comes from a tree for someone who looks like a genuine descendant of his. I have no DNA match with the tree owner, although she must have tested as several of her lines have been annotated with a DNA symbol. As the surname is uncommon and the location is within 20 miles of my genuine family there may be something a long, long way back. When I have finished my humanitarian rescue mission of my 6 and 7 cM rellies, I might track this line to see if we merge.
This must be an example of the "new accuracy"! ;D
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 17 July 20 12:24 BST (UK) »

I posted the whole text of it and the link to the whitepaper on the previous page 
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=834432.msg6994574#msg6994574

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 17 July 20 12:30 BST (UK) »
I have been baffled by one of my aunt's matches. It is a 5-8th cousin match, so estimated 5th-8th cousin 6cm across 1 segment, but with two shared matches!
One of the shared matches is 130cm across 6 segments and and the other is 30 across 1 segment.
Please explain Ancestry...
All those numbers are how much they match you or the kit you are looking at. Although the match is 6cM, as long as they match those other matches, which you (or your aunt) also match at 20cM or over, they will show as a shared match.

Re: these changes, after skipping through the Ancestry text that popped up last night, I still can't see any justification for the change, other than - Ancestry management got annoyed about the servers being overused by the genetic affairs and shared clustering app to a lesser extent, and then demanded they reduce server costs. The easiest way to do so is to instantly remove thousands of matches from everybody. They have then written a long winded whitepaper with lots of dubious formulas to try and justify it ::).

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 17 July 20 12:52 BST (UK) »

I posted the whole text of it and the link to the whitepaper on the previous page 
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=834432.msg6994574#msg6994574

I know that.
The point I was making was that they claim changes are to improve accuracy and quality of DNA matches.
And at the same time they are introducing things in thrulines that are demonstrably totally inaccurate. Supposed grandfathers fathering children born decades before they themselves were born.
But you chose to cut off the main point of my post.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 17 July 20 13:22 BST (UK) »
I didn't get a popup . I'm not best pleased with those potentials at the bottom of ThruLines, Quite a few of them i looked at many years ago and discounted. others are just plain daft!

Is there any way of deleting them?

Added - I seem not to have got the popup as i don't usually logout. I just did  to test and a blue bar appeared at the top.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***