Author Topic: Marriages reported in newspapers  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Karen Durrant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriages reported in newspapers
« on: Wednesday 15 July 20 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Just interested. When did marriages start to be reported in newspapers? Not the wealthy or well known people, but ordinary everyday people, when did they appear in local papers? For example, a marriage in early 1940's would it be likely to have  photographs of bride and groom, or just their names and dates?
Thank you in advance.
Karen Durrant

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages reported in newspapers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
  Not sure about the early 1940s, as that was a difficult time, but certainly in the 1930s local papers carried extensive reports of ordinary people's weddings. Often including complete lists of the gifts, which are quite fascinating, and descriptions of the bride's dress.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
Report of my parents' wedding appeared in their local paper in mid 1940s - think it was quite usual, so you should find ones from that era. Also found ones from 1930s, again with pics.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Karen Durrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 July 20 10:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies. Can I ask another question relating to the first? If I live at a distance from the area the wedding took place, how would you trace the report for the wedding? Would it be local libraries? Would it be a google search (local library near....?)
Any suggestions appreciated.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 July 20 15:39 BST (UK) »
  I find them on Findmypast, which is a subscription service. Do you have a sub. to any of the genealogy sites?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 July 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
British Newspaper Archive which is available on Findmypast [as TOTH said] or separately. There are people here who subscribe so if you post the names/dates/place they can tell you whether it's worthwhile taking out a subs yourself. They can also transcribe the article [but not post an image here].

I think main libraries are more likely to have then than local libraries.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 July 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
I think I'd try the files of local papers at the time - and perhaps contacting a relevant local history society, where there may well be someone willing to go through the files?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 July 20 16:43 BST (UK) »
If you are close to London the British Library may be worth a visit
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karen Durrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 July 20 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for the replies.
The marriage I was looking for more information on is September quarter 1941 in West Ham, Essex. Her name is Gertrude Durrant and she married Charles Fox. I was hoping his parents would be named and also I would love a photograph.( I understand people cannot post photographs from earlier replies to my query.)
Ilive near Blackpool so at a distance to investigate myself which is why I have asked how I might proceed. I do have access to The Genealogist website and for a couple of weeks I also have access to Ancestry Premium membership. My membership finishes in August. I couldn't find anything in my searches.
Again, many thanks for any help you can give. Just point me in the right direction!