Author Topic: Marriages reported in newspapers  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages reported in newspapers
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 July 20 19:55 BST (UK) »
 I have the cutting of my grandmother's funeral, (1937) with the names of those who attended and the names on the floral tributes. There is one name listed that I cannot work out who on earth it was!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 July 20 21:30 BST (UK) »
I have the cutting of my grandmother's funeral, (1937) with the names of those who attended and the names on the floral tributes. There is one name listed that I cannot work out who on earth it was!

I have one for my greatx2 grandmother in 1924 and I've no idea who "Granny's little man Cicel" is.  :-[ >:(
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 July 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
It was a newspaper account of a family funeral that helped me sort out who-was-who in a bunch of people with almost the same pair of names, in our family! The helpful report not only "arranged" the names in order of closeness to the deceased, but also recorded "...son of Thomas and...." etc, which really was useful.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 July 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
This is interesting...maybe your local library would be worth looking into:

https://newsroom.shropshire.gov.uk/2020/04/coronavirus-ancestry-libraries/

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 August 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
My own was in the local paper in 1964.

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 August 20 17:29 BST (UK) »
The "Births Marriages and Deaths" column has gone through changes over the years.

Death announcements have always been there.

Birth announcements and marriage announcements have depended more on fashion. Sometimes birth announcements were more common, sometimes marriages. Even now there is snobbery about which newspaper an announcement appears in.

I remember coming across an editorial comment (late 19th century?) to say that in future, death entries, unless they were of a "no frills" style, would no longer be published for free. Presumably that forbade people announcing the location of the funeral, or comments like "after a long illness", unless the family could afford it.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 August 20 18:46 BST (UK) »
My county library gives members free access to British Library Newspapers via the Gale website.

I've had varying results with my searches, some successful and some not.  This could be attributed to the fact that the library doesn't have copies of a specific local newspaper.   Unfortunately neither of your names appeared in the relevant year. 

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke