Author Topic: Name and age?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Yvonne Donnellon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Name and age?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 15:08 BST (UK) »
Why do you say it doesn’t fit? I read it independently and only found the Ancestry transcription later, which agreed with my reading other than the age.

Findmypast also agrees.

Thank you for doing that, I wanted confirmation that the transcribe was correct.  Wearthy, given as a middle name for both boys sounds like a surname to me and I don't have this name in my tree. This is a very complicated branch of my family with multiple marriages and blended families.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 15:09 BST (UK) »
It looks like 8 to me.

Offline Yvonne Donnellon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 15:14 BST (UK) »
Sorry guys, I know Mary's maiden name was Murphy and I don't think Patrick the oldest child is hers, he is too old?

I think this is Patrick's 2nd marriage the first happening in Ireland as that's were both Patrick jnr and Mary jnr were born.

Mary later went on to marry James Gallaghan in 1855 after Pat Senior died in 1854.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry Yvonne -- I'm getting a bit lost! Are you saying that the maiden name of the Mary on the 1851 census was Murphy please? Hence the second marriage wasn't to Mary Kenny?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Yvonne Donnellon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 15:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry Yvonne -- I'm getting a bit lost! Are you saying that the maiden name of the Mary on the 1851 census was Murphy please? Hence the second marriage wasn't to Mary Kenny?

Yes, unless I've got this massively wrong, but this is the marriage cert for Mary's second marriage to James Gallaghan which explains why I think this. Oriel Street is constant here, Mary and her new husband are still living there on the 1861 census, with John from her first marriage, Roseannah her youngest child (3) and 3 of James's children from his first marriage to Susan Reilly.

I need a lie down now  ;D

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 15:58 BST (UK) »
Didn't people sometimes give a child the name of someone who had been good to them or they wanted to impress for some reason. Maybe some Wearthy person had helped the family out in some way.

Offline Yvonne Donnellon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 16:09 BST (UK) »
Didn't people sometimes give a child the name of someone who had been good to them or they wanted to impress for some reason. Maybe some Wearthy person had helped the family out in some way.

Yes that's very feasible!  It's just a very English name and my family are very Irish! :-)  Silly I know but it goes against the grain of all my research.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 17:31 BST (UK) »

Yes that's very feasible!  It's just a very English name and my family are very Irish! :-)  Silly I know but it goes against the grain of all my research.
That's way I was thinking it wasn't a family name.

Offline Yvonne Donnellon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 17:54 BST (UK) »
And I bet it's supposed to be Worthy not Wearthy!  ???