Author Topic: Opinions requested  (Read 602 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions requested
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 July 20 12:47 BST (UK) »
Could it be, as suggested, that he doesn't actually subscribe to Ancestry but started his tree during a free trial? It seems very odd that he can't see your tree if it is public. I'm afraid it does sound to me as if it will be a one way thing and once he has what he wants, you won't hear from him again. Maybe reply asking him what he already knows about your mutual connections as you don't just want to repeat things. Drip feed things in rather than giving him a lot all at once.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 July 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who gave me their honest opinion.  I just wanted to come back and let you know what happened next...

I messaged him back asking him to explain what he saw that prompted him to contact me, why he can't see my tree and why his tree is now private.

He responded that he is new to the site, and that he had seen a picture I had published and that prompted his message.  He changed his tree to private because, as I mentioned, it only had 8 people and is nowhere near complete.

His profile says he's been a member since 2017, but I've been a member since 2007 (non-paying) and only started my tree 3 years ago.  He's also pretty young (under 30), so I cut him some slack and said let's try this again and gave him some basic information on our ancestor, and told him the name of my tree (which of course, is public).

So let's see what happens from here.

Again, all responses were very helpful and much appreciated.

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 July 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
In the decades I have researched I have always been happy to help others either basics like how to research or which records to look at, I have travelled miles to take hotos for some or get copies of records that are not even for my 'family'  and was thrilled when connecting to 'family' however I have been 'burned' by some over the years who just take and give nothing at all back not even a thank you.... but I was not expecting the nastiness of one and it did really upset me and make me very warying https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800891.0
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend