Author Topic: Mary Delaney  (Read 1324 times)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Delaney
« on: Wednesday 15 July 20 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, Im looking for help in tracing the death of Mary Delaney last known address would have been Naas Hospital circa 1921 when she was a 'patient' there, I understand that the 'Hospital' in 1921 would have also been known as The workhouse/union, so its very likely that Mary was an inmate and not a patient as was described in the letter.
The letter had been sent from her daughter in England inquiring as to her mothers health, the reply from someone at the hospital/workhouse was that Mary 'would be unaware' of inquries made about her (perhaps suffering from menatl illness?)

Mary was the wife of Jeremiah Delaney and would have been 62 yrs of age if census age in 1911 is accurate, the address in 1911 for the couple and son Thomas aged 15 was 32 Rosberry Morrisstownbiller Kildare.

On 21-June 1913 Mary's husband Jeremiah (Labourer) died at Rosberry, his son Thomas was informant.

I believe that Thomas was in the British army at the time.

Im having problems in finding a date of death or burial place for Mary, she is not buried with her husband, im wondering are there any records for burial's from Naas Workhouse/Hospital and where they can be found.
Any help much appreciated, thank you.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Delaney
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 23:58 BST (UK) »
If Mary was in Naas when she died she should have a death cert, one of the only things about dying in the hospital you at least got a death cert but I don't see her, BUT if she died during the War of Independence or the Civil War than perhaps the hospital's didn't manage all the necessary paperwork.

How do you know she isn't buried with her husband?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 July 20 00:12 BST (UK) »
Wonder if she could have been moved to an Asylum.
Carlow would have been the place in later years, not sure about the 1920s

Looking at the old maps I see the Asylum in Carlow town.

Mary is deaf in 1911, that would have caused its own problems.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 July 20 00:42 BST (UK) »
Naas Workhouse
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Naas/
See the bottom of the page for records.
Which brings you to this page
http://kildare.ie/heritage/archives.asp With email address, I know them to be very helpful.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 July 20 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies, I realise that the WOI/Civil war years may have brought difficulty regs record's.
I know her daughter wrote to her at some stage circa 1919-1921 regs a falling out with her son Thomas, I also know of a letter wrote to a Mrs Heffernan from her daughter inquiring as to her mothers health (daughter in England and is another mystery which I am looking at).

There was also a not dated 22-2-1919 from Naas Hospital to Mrs Heffernan, stating that "paper's' came to Mrs Delaney but she is not capable of understanding them"

I did carry out some searches regarding the identity of who 'Mrs Heffernan'  but there does not seem to be a family link, I think it's fair to presume that she may have been a close friend/neighbour, I did come across a couple called Patrick and Ann Heffernan with an address at Rosberry -Morrisstownbeller and noted them as a possibility.

I also noted from the census of 1901 that Mary states she was born Co Dublin, but Kildare in 1911, and also gives Martinstown as her address for marriage in 1893.
I kept an open mind on the 'possibility' that she may have been bured in Co Dublin, there was a burial in the 1920s in Deansgrange but on checking this was ruled out.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 July 20 13:22 BST (UK) »
Mary is deaf in 1911, that would have caused its own problems.

I wonder if she had dementia.
There has been concern that hearing problems have exacerbated deterioration in health of people with dementia during COVID-19. Difficulty with maintaining hearing-aids was mentioned. 

Cowban

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 July 20 07:53 BST (UK) »
Her husband Jeremiah being a former soldier would Mary have been entitled to a widow's pension after his death ?  if so there should be records

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 July 20 14:22 BST (UK) »
Her husband Jeremiah being a former soldier would Mary have been entitled to a widow's pension after his death ?  if so there should be records

I thought so too Dathai, or was a widows pension only paid to a soldier killed in action?
I was wondering if with a army widows pension, would she be in the 'workhouse' as Naas Hospital was at the time?

The 'paper's' that were refered to in the note from the hospital which was sent to Mrs Heffernan in 1919 state that "she would not be capable of understanding them", could these be some sort of documents/papers relating to her widows pension?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 July 20 11:58 BST (UK) »