Author Topic: Powells Williams and Pughs: Llywel, Defynnock, Trecastle areas  (Read 855 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Powells Williams and Pughs: Llywel, Defynnock, Trecastle areas
« on: Wednesday 15 July 20 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have been researching the Powel(l)s, Williams, and Pughs in the Llywel/Defynnock/Trecastle/ Llandeilo'r Fan/Llanfihangel Nant Bran/Llandefeilog Fach etc. 99% on the Internet, such as FindMyPast, Ancestry also Theophilus Jones, Poole, Library of Wales databases, Wills, enquiries and so on for about ten years now. My "brick wall" is Thomas Pugh baptised 1714 by Thomas Pugh and Elizabeth ____? in Llanfihangel Nant Bran (from a Bishop's Transcript)
I visited Breconshire about 10 years ago, and  traveled around the area (Llangorse, Llanfillo, Merthyr Cynog, and Pont yr Iscar) to see places where my ancestors lived. I also spent about a week at the Library of Wales.
I have received tremendous help from Rootschat in my research... including deciphering really old documents, but I am still at a loss as to where the above Thomas Pugh and Elizabeth came from.
There aren't any Pughs (or Ap Hughs) in the 1694 Hearth Tax records for Llanfihangel Nant Bran or Llandeilo'r Fan, but there are a couple in Merthyr Cynog.
The Pughs leased several premises in Llanfihangel Nant Bran from the Powells of Castle Madoc until about 1820. They had worked as Coopers, Maltsters, and Blacksmiths until the Industrial Revolution made their trades redundant. Most of them moved to Monmouthshire  but Margaret and Anne Pugh ran a Pub called "The Three Horseshoes" up to about 1860
I have very close DNA matches to some Powells and Williams in the area, but I have failed to identify any family relationships.
However, the DNA Haplotype data indicates that I have a WELSH common ancestor who lived about 600 years ago in Cantref Selyf Breconshire: the Llywel area.
Possibly descended from Moreidigg Warwyn, Bleddyn ap Maenarch, Gwyrgon !!!
And that is why I trying to trace the Welsh vs Norman families who lived near Llywel from about 1400 to 1600. I have gone a long way towards doing that, but I really need help. 
Maybe someone like Gareth Jones!

Thanks for your attention!

Take care!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser