Author Topic: Crown Twinlock Binder for family history research papers  (Read 499 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crown Twinlock Binder for family history research papers
« on: Thursday 16 July 20 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

Does anyone else use the Crown Twinlock Binder for storing family history papers and notes on research?

These binders are expensive but can sometimes be picked up at a reasonable price on eBay. They are of the highest quality and differ from the standard ring binder in that have a push bar mechanism to hold and release the paper. My local RO have several of these and another version with the same mechanism with the hole spaces aligning with a standard ring binder. These doesn’t appear to be available anywhere online.

The Twinlock Crown Binder’s hole spaces don’t align with a standard ring binder so I would need an adjustable hole punch but the snag is I don’t know which one would be compatible which the Crown binder so was wondering if anyone here would know?

Sorry if I have rambled on :)

Jay
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Crown Twinlock Binder for family history research papers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 July 20 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayson,
I think that you might be making a rod for your own back. 

I use 2 ring and 4 ring binders. Cheap, readily available and come in a variety of colours. 

Cheapest, I have found is 69p.   
In my local town there are at least 3 outlets that sell them. Then there is, of course, eBay and Viking Direct.   
And finally, my research can be colour co-ordinated - keeping family groupings together. 

I do have 1 really good binder - made by AGFA, for holding negatives. Wooden front and back boards, leatherbound all over (not leathercloth), 20 rings. It wasn't cheap when it was made, but they stopped making them over 20 years ago. No inserts available now and no 20 ring punch to be had for love or money. 

Personally, I would go for something that does not involve making compromises  every time I use it. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crown Twinlock Binder for family history research papers
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 July 20 13:16 BST (UK) »
Personally, I use lever arch files.  One for each of my 4 mail families.  You can use plastic wallets to house individual items, and card dividers for generations etc.  And the clamp helps to ensure that the contents remain upright and straight. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY