Author Topic: Common Ancestors on Ancestry - an odd thing  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Common Ancestors on Ancestry - an odd thing
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 July 20 14:09 BST (UK) »
..and another one that she manages in which the tree is linked comes up as a Common Ancestor.  Maybe it's something to do with linked* trees  ???

* and unlinked

Add - I knew how this group were related to me and each other without looking at Common Ancestors :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 July 20 15:15 BST (UK) »
I went to thrulines from the main DNA sign in page. It gives each generation as a pink or blue icon (depending on gender) If you hover over each it says if there is a thruline associated and if you click, it shows up, the same as it would if I click common ancestor. As I haven't got as far back with some branches as others and there is some illegitimacy, not every generation of mine has a full set of ancestors, but now some potential ones in green have appeared to try to complete the set. One pair is right, just not updated my tree on Ancestry, one is impossible (unless my 3 x great grandfather fathered a child at age 6), but another pair are worth further investigation.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 July 20 17:15 BST (UK) »
I didn't mean the ThruLines via top right link. I meant going to your Common Ancestors listing, selecting the relevant match, then clicking on the left hand link that says View Relationship which is  under an ancestor. This takes you to a suggested relationship tree which then allows you to click on View Thrulines. This then displays al l the relatives that Ancestry sugests link to the common ancestor.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 July 20 18:49 BST (UK) »
If both father and son are the same 'home' person on the linked tree than the system most likely can only handle one of them, other wise it would have to put a home person as a Common Ancestor twice.

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 July 20 04:46 BST (UK) »
I have a match at 10 cM with CM (full name given on Ancestry). Ancestry has flagged it up as a Common Ancestor match. CM's surname is the same as one of my direct ancestors which I have researched reasonably well, so it was clear to see where our trees overlapped and confirm that he was my 5th cousin once removed. Our common ancestors were my 4 x great grandparents (and his 5 x great grandparents). CM manages the test for EM. My match with EM is at the same level and the tree attached to EM's results is the identical tree attached to CM's results, same size, same name, same home person. In fact if the tree was just called "M... family tree" instead of "CM's family tree", I wouldn't know which of the two people was the home person.

Both EM and CM appear on the tree (obviously as private). EM is CM's son, so he would be my 5th cousin 2 x removed
But I don't have a common ancestor match with EM according to Ancestry. Can anyone suggest why this should be?

Common Ancestors and ThruLines only show matches up to your 5x great grandparents. If you have a match that is 5C2R it won't show in Common Ancestors or ThruLines because it is too many generations.
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 July 20 07:56 BST (UK) »
I have a match at 10 cM with CM (full name given on Ancestry). Ancestry has flagged it up as a Common Ancestor match. CM's surname is the same as one of my direct ancestors which I have researched reasonably well, so it was clear to see where our trees overlapped and confirm that he was my 5th cousin once removed. Our common ancestors were my 4 x great grandparents (and his 5 x great grandparents). CM manages the test for EM. My match with EM is at the same level and the tree attached to EM's results is the identical tree attached to CM's results, same size, same name, same home person. In fact if the tree was just called "M... family tree" instead of "CM's family tree", I wouldn't know which of the two people was the home person.

Both EM and CM appear on the tree (obviously as private). EM is CM's son, so he would be my 5th cousin 2 x removed
But I don't have a common ancestor match with EM according to Ancestry. Can anyone suggest why this should be?

Common Ancestors and ThruLines only show matches up to your 5x great grandparents. If you have a match that is 5C2R it won't show in Common Ancestors or ThruLines because it is too many generations.

CM is my 5C1R - our shared ancestors are my 4 x great grandparents. CM's son is my 5C2R. Our shared ancestors are still my 4 x great grandparents. The number of generations on my side hasn't changed at all.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 July 20 08:00 BST (UK) »
But your 4x great grandparents would be your 5C2Rs 6x great grandparents.
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 July 20 08:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, of course, so cousins descended from my 5 x great grandparents only show if they are also their  5 x great (or lower number of greats) grandparents. That's a nuisance, I'm descended from a much younger sibling at several points on my tree, so many distant cousins who are my age contemporaries or even older are a removed down.

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 July 20 08:14 BST (UK) »
Yes it is a nuisance. I have a few in exactly the same situation as you.

Gail