Author Topic: Martin , may have been buried in Cambusnethan ?  (Read 681 times)

Offline uggy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martin , may have been buried in Cambusnethan ?
« on: Thursday 16 July 20 16:19 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information about my wife's family who are named Martin. I realize that Martin is a very popular name and also there may be many female ex Martin. As far as i know many Martin's were born and died in Lanarkshire. They may have been buried in CANBERSNETHAN.
What information would i need to find out where they were buried ie which cemetery also what program would i need to find the graves. I would be very grateful for any help. I would like at this time to thank all those who have given their time, knowledge and skill to have got me to ANN SMELLIE born abt 1772 a long time ago.
Everyone please keep safe .All the best.

UGGY

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN, BERIAL.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 July 20 17:20 BST (UK) »
Uggy

Can you tell us your wife's deceased Grandparent's names or even her G Grandparents an estimate as to the years?

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martin, Berial.
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 July 20 10:12 BST (UK) »
David, with so many different threads running in parallel I am confused about your Ann Smellie. This is my reply to your PM which I told you I would answer on the forum.

On 5 June you wrote
The information that i thought was correct is not. On my tree i entered Agnes  Donaldson. Father James Donaldson, Mother Helen Ling. George Martin's farther Thomas  Martin and mother Ann Smellie.
So can you please just confirm that you have looked at the original death certificate of George Martin and that it says that his mother was Ann Smellie?

This then leads to the baptism of George Martin, son of Thomas Martin and Ann Smellie, in Carstairs in 1799. Have you looked at the original of that record? Does it tell you anything else?

Then Monica found for you a transcription of a census listing of Anne Martin, aged 78, born Carstairs, in Carstairs in 1851, who looks like Anne Smellie or Martin, and who, if her age in the census is accurate, would have been born in 1772/1773. She matches the 1841 census listing in Carstairs of Ann Smellie, meat dealer, aged 69, though that age, if accurate, suggests that she was born in 1771/1772. (Don't try to think anything into the fact that if 1841 she was listed by her maiden surname. This is quite common, especially in the earliest censuses.)

I take it that you have looked on Scotland's People and found no baptism record for Ann Smellie or Martin, but that you did find the burial of Ann Smellie in Carstairs in 1852, aged 80.

From the index at SP, Thomas and Ann were married in 1790 and had seven recorded children
Mary, 1792
William, 1794
John, 1797
George, 1799
Margaret, 1803
James, 1805
Andrew, 1813
There are gaps between George and Margaret and between James and Andrew where there could have been one or more additional children. However Ann's second son and first daughter were John and Mary, so there is a reasonable chance that those were the names of Ann's parents. If George's baptism record listed the names of witnesses, you should look at all the others' baptisms and see if they provide any clues to the parentage of Thomas and Ann.

I note with interest that a John Smellie and Mary Anderson, married in Lanark in 1771, had eight recorded children, all baptised in Carstairs
Susanna, 1772
Barbry, 1774
Katharine, 1776
Margaret, 1779
Margaret, 1780
George, 1783
Janet, 1785
James, 1789

Getting into the realms of speculation, I wonder whether Susanna coud be Ann? I have a well-documented case in my own tree of a woman who was sometimes listed in records as Susanna and in other records as Ann or Anna.  Note also that Ann's younger sons' names match those of the younger sons of John and Mary.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline uggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Martin , may have been buried in Cambusnethan ?
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 July 20 19:15 BST (UK) »
Forfarian.Thank you very much again for your help, advice and information. I will post the information on my tree. Thank you again. All the best.
UGGY

Offline uggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 July 20 11:57 BST (UK) »
Forfarian. Thank you again for all your help and advice. As yet i have no certificates for this current subject. The last that i have as information is that Edinburgh is closed. Also i do not know what information i need to get the paperwork . As for mum in law i have been given lots of information from MonicaL as mum in law moved t London, died  and buried there. I have been given a grave finder but i am finding it difficult. (https://www.findagrave.com/) It asks for information that i do not have. Thank you again and to all that give help. Keep safe.

UGGY

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 July 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
Forfarian. Thank you again for all your help and advice. As yet i have no certificates for this current subject. The last that i have as information is that Edinburgh is closed.
Only the in-house is closed meantime. All information up to and including 1919 is available on the Scotland's People web site, plus marriages 1920 to 1944 and deaths 1920 to 1969. You should be able to access all of those. You don't need paperwork.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 July 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Uggy,

Are you looking for the burial place of John Smellie & Janet Martin?
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline uggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 August 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lodger. The only Janet Martin i have is born 4 March 1852. I have found 4 John Smellie's all in Cambersnethan but i don't which one. Ii am also looking  for William Martin born 25 Sep 1903 died 1966 Carluke. Thanks again .
UGGY