Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 16th July  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 16th July
« on: Thursday 16 July 20 23:19 BST (UK) »
Couldn't get to sleep last night, it was 3am when I eventually did. Hope this isn't a pattern developing, one night exhausted and the next not being able to sleep. Didn't feel too bad when I woke up and for once the sun was showing its face.

Did a bit of cleaning and tidying before going for my walk. It was pleasantly warm, walked round the field, down through the woods and then down the narrow path. There didn't seem to be anyone about but a bit further down where the path was really narrow there was a group of about six boys, young teenagers I'd say, who passed me on their bikes going in the same direction as me. I stood aside for them and every one of them thanked me as they passed. As I walked further down I could see through the trees that the grass cutter was cutting the pitch at the rugby club at the other side of the railway line. Not much further on I actually came to the end of the path, it doesn't go as far as I thought. Turned back the way I'd come as I didn't want to walk back through the streets. It was an enjoyable walk. On my way back through the woods on the wide path I passed two teenage boys and a girl, I was quite surprised to see that one of the boys was wearing a mask.

Back home, had some lunch. Had a look at Amazon to see if the price of the potting bench had come back down but it hadn't. I then did a search on Google using the actual name of the bench instead of a more generic search. I found the same bench at a lower price and when I looked at the seller details it was the same as the one shown on Amazon as where it would be sent from. That convinced me, I ordered it and even with next day delivery it was still six pounds cheaper than on Amazon.

Was wanting to get outside as it was warm and the sun was shining, Put on some shorts and strappy Tshirt, emptied the large pot of compost so I could paint it blue to match the others. Washed it and left it to dry then started painting. The sun was so hot, got the parasol out to shade my head and put sun cream on. Unfortunately it wasn't too long before it started clouding up. Got the pot painted, varnished it when it was dry. No sign of NN, did a bit more work on the fence but I need my trellises to complete it, I had an email today to tell me that the order from the second company was on its way. I even knocked a couple of nails in the fence, saw NN coming in later with her daughter, looks like she had been out all the time, wish I'd known for definite.

Spoke to my friend L, we were talking about the books we're reading. She passed on a recommendation, Coffin Road by Peter May. I've read one of his, The Lewis Man, it was very good.

Salmon for tea with new potatoes, peas and salad, also a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. Watched the episode of Long Lost Family, What Happened Next. What touching stories.   

Over to you.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Thursday 16th July
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 July 20 23:23 BST (UK) »
Looks like I'm an early starter for today...

I had expected the weather to be a little brighter than it turned out to be... although not cold it wasn't very sunny until much later in the day and only little glimpse at that...
I had a lot to pack in to today so got up at a reasonable time... OH had already gone off to golf before I ventured downstairs..
I had breakfast reading the news on the laptop and looking in on RC...
Washing into the machine...
Tidied up downstairs then I still had the rest of upstairs to clean that I'd not done the other day...
Whilst cleaning the wash basin in the main bathroom ... it's got one of those click clack devices and it's often a little stiff as doesn't get used much so I unscrewed it to give it a clean and gently pressed it up and down until suddenly it went down and didn't click back up again... I managed to get it up with a pair of tweezers poured some lime scale remover down and left it...
Gave everywhere a good vacuum... put click clack back... it stuck again so left in for OH to sort out.
Found a pilates class on teachers FB page so did an hours worth... it was hard work and felt quite tired afterwards... but as they say no pain no gain!
Had amessage from admin girl to say they're desperate for face coverings for men and boys and everyone else inbetween...
carried on cutting more out...
Window cleaner arrived... glad to see him as last time outsides were done was just after lockdown! I'd done the insides this week so when he'd finished they sparkled and great to see out clearly..
OH home... don't ask about the golf he's giving up after today's performance... could all change again after he plays on Saturday! He's cheesed off... so after making lunch and listening to his round I left him to watch the cricket and continued with cutting out...
Started to make some of the more simple rectangular ones up ... all needed pleats pressing first must have done about 50! Cut all elastic, stitched down pleats... time to get dinner ready as 6pm by now...
Cooked some chicken... had shower washed my hair whilst chicken cooking.. had new pots and salad...
Was going to make some cup cakes to take for picnic tomorrow but too tired too late... just take flap jacks and rest if raspberry, almond cake..
Watched Mrs America... two episodes O.H chuntering through it about women and their bandwagons... cheek if it! Ignorned him!
Daughter messaged to say she'd got scones in the oven to bring, made some bread... bottom got bit burnt though.... and she's got cake too, so along with sandwiches, salad, fruit etc don't think we're going to starve!
Retired early as going to be up early to make picnic...
So looking forward to seeing them all ...
Hope others have had a good day too....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 16th July
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 July 20 00:18 BST (UK) »
Yes. “Report to moderator” and ask them to merge the two Thursday diaries.  :)

Threads merged.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Thursday 16th July
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 July 20 00:20 BST (UK) »
Phew, I'm worn out just reading it all! What a great job you're continuing to do with the sewing, it's amazing how many things you turn out on  day to day basis. Hope the picnic goes well tomorrow, you deserve a break.

By the way, I'm mystified as to what the click clack device is!  ???
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 July 20 00:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie, I'll do that.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 July 20 00:22 BST (UK) »
Done.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 July 20 01:42 BST (UK) »
Forgot to post yesterday.   Good nights sleep and woke feeling refreshed until I opened the curtains.   Like yesterday, dull and overcast all day and same forecast for tomorrow.   

Literally every day this week the brief forecast has read 'sunny turning to cloudy by lunchtime'.   Trouble is the 'sun' is 5 to 7 am when I am fast asleep and cloudy by 9am not lunchtime!

Had an email from Amazon stating 2 tablet covers I'd ordered would be delivered today.    Was in all day and at 6pm I popped to the shop next door to get a couple of items I needed.   Was only gone 5 minutes at most and as I walked back to my flat the delivery driver was approaching my door.   Another couple of minutes and I'd have missed him.

Was going to drive to B & M to pick up a couple of items I want before I start decorating (well, that's the plan).   However, Amazon put the kibosh on that so hopefully I can go tomorrow after my grocery delivery.   Updated the latter which always seems to take longer than I think but still beats shopping in store - when you break it down you put items in your trolley, then put on conveyor belt, then place it all in bags and place back in trolley, walk to your car and lift the bags into boot.   Drive home, lift bags out of boot, carry to door, open door and cart bags upstairs.  At least when delivered I only have to carry upstairs! 

Getting jealous of those of you that have had sunshine - just a little bit in the afternoon would be nice for me.  Haven't really done anything noteworthy today so won't bore you with the details.

Easy meal tonight - just a cheese/onion quiche with some chips followed by tiramisu.

Watched some TV and did some jigsaw which is turning out to be harder than I thought.

Continue to stay safe.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 July 20 07:35 BST (UK) »
I'm also mystified by the "click clack device" and think you are a marvel of industry Caroline.
Have a wonderful picnic.  :D

Good job the potting table is sourced, and en route Roobarb.

Annette your thoughts on the entire "big shop" process are interesting, though I find that by going at a quiet time it can be dealt with fairly swiftly, sometimes less than an hour, door to door. Having said that, I see nothing wrong with using the service which is available.

DIARY: A grey start to the day, but luckily still no serious threat of rain forecasted, which is good aas we booked tickets to visit the zoo today.  I have been looking forward to that since last autumn for my birthday treat.  They were supposed to be having an exhibition of large Lego animals around the zoo as an extra attraction, but that plan became one of the Covid victims.
You must book your slot in advance as entry numbers are limited, and are advised to use sanitiser as often as possible, which must be costing a fortune as children were squirting it everywhere just for fun, and not being cautioned for it.
We had arrived early and were first in the queue for entry.  Lots of extremely excited children, racing around screaming, even running between us so we had to step out of their way.  No parental control what so ever.  I know I was brought up in the "seen but not heard" era, but my goodness, I had to wonder how those children will be managed when they are teenagers.
Anyway, we spent the whole day wandering around the zoo, always mindful about keeping distanced. It was clear everyone was mindful of that, which I have not seen anywhere else round shops or beaches.  Entry numbers were limited to about half normal capacity, and we didn't feel very threatened.
The nocturnal house, and such, were closed to the public, and there were very few animals in the children's petting place.  All the educational talks are cancelled at present, and and feeding is being done outside of visiting hours, to minimise gatherings of spectators, though the playgrounds were all in full swing, which troubles me faintly.
As the day drew towards closing time we re-visited my favourite places. It was delightful to see the   the red pandas awake, and the ring tailed lemurs were very active, chasing each other around and coming quite close to the fence to examine us. 
The supermarket we use is literally next door to the zoo entrance so we pulled in there to do the weekly shop on our way home.  Nearly all the chill cabinets were stripped bare, to a point where I wondered if the store was due to have new ones installed overnight.  However, we got our necessities, and there weren't that many other shoppers in store. 
Had a rest and a cuppa before a simple omelette snack.
Watched Portillo in Oz and a Poirot on TV.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 July 20 07:48 BST (UK) »
Phew, I'm worn out just reading it all! What a great job you're continuing to do with the sewing, it's amazing how many things you turn out on  day to day basis. Hope the picnic goes well tomorrow, you deserve a break.

By the way, I'm mystified as to what the click clack device is!  ???

Yes, I'll have to make it shorter...😀 Never been good at using one word when I have so many to choose from!
Looking forward to the picnic and going somewhere different!
Click clack devise for a wash basin replaces good old fashioned plug.... it's a solid disc that sits over the basin hole and you push it down to close enabling you to fill basin with water then to release you just push it again and it pops up thereby releasing the water... only it's stuck down!
Does that all make sense?

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK