Author Topic: Census lookup or any oher available resources  (Read 885 times)

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Census lookup or any oher available resources
« on: Friday 17 July 20 03:10 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate Edward Bruin/Brewen/Brewin/Bruyn/Bruen and his wife Margaret.

The two people I have found on freebmd deaths may not be them but they are worth looking at.

These two potential people that I need to research further are Edward  Bruen died Sep 1840 at Gt Boughton 18 32 and a Margaret Bruin died Mar 1854 Stockport 8A 25 who may be a possibility as both places are in the same county.

The Edward and Margaret that I am trying to locate were either born/married in Ireland or France as their son was born 1813 in Roscommon Ireland and their granddaughter says that about 1844-48 that she was living in France with her people who were an old established French family.

Their son Daniel and family moved to Australia in 1856 (which is after both of these two deaths).

Kind Regards,

Wayne

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census lookup or any oher available resources
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 July 20 04:18 BST (UK) »
The Margaret Bruin who died in 1854 Stockport registration district was 46 years old according to the GRO website. (UK General Record Office, which is free to search - you just need to register. If you’re lucky, it will tell you the age of the person, but to get any other information you have to send for the death certificate).
I can’t see her in the 1841 or 1851 Census.

There is no record on there for an Edward Bruin + various spellings, though you might like to try yourself.

I can’t see a  record on freebmd of an Edward Bruen died 1840 at Great Broughton.
(I’m not sure wat you meant to write in your post - you have out “died Sept 1840 at Gt Broughton 1832” )?  The GRO registers start 1837 after the start of Civil registration.
There is a record of a burial of an Edward Bruin 8th Aug 1840 in Chester on findmypast.
This is in the burial register of Crook Lane Unitarian Chapel, Chester. It doesn’t give any more information about him such as age , place of residence etc.
There seems to be no corresponding registration of the death on the GRO register.

There is a record of a marriage licence on findmy past for an Edward Bruen 8.5.1810 to a Mary Walley in Chester. He is a smith and ‘makes his mark’
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 July 20 04:41 BST (UK) »
BRUEN, EDWARD
aged 64 
GRO Reference: 1840  S Quarter in GREAT BOUGHTON  Volume 19  Page 32

Debra  :)

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 July 20 06:55 BST (UK) »
Goldie61 thanks, so not the Margaret Bruin that I am looking for (as my one had a son in Roscommon Ireland about 1813) so maybe I need to look in Ireland or France as the only Margaret Bruin that came up as a death 1837 - to 1856 (year my Margaret's son and his family went to Australia from Staffordshire) was that one in that county according to freebdm.uk

I made a typo with the reference for Edward Bruen it should have been Volume 19 not 18 plus forgot to write volume/page before each number.

Thanks Dundee (Debra)

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 July 20 07:03 BST (UK) »
Goldie61,

My Edward and Margaret could have been married about that time but had a son in Roscommon Ireland about 1813. (which I know Daniel son of Edward and Margaret was born in Roscommon Ireland , married in West Bromwich, lived in Staffordshire, then France, then Staffordshire and then moved to Australia, he was a Blacksmith)

Interesting that you say he was a Smith as my Daniel Bruyn son of Edward and Margaret was a Blacksmith.

It is making me wonder if the record was transcribed incorrectly and if her name written was Marg not Mary (or if she was Mary Margaret or Margaret Mary). My grandmother dropped her first name totally which made her awkward to find.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 July 20 07:37 BST (UK) »
The Margaret Bruin whose death was registered in Stockport in 1854 was in the Sub District of Heaton Norris

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 July 20 07:43 BST (UK) »
HeatherJulie, Thanks, I have ruled out that death as she apparently was 46 (unless transcribed wrong) when she died in 1854, so not old enough to have married by about 1813.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 July 20 07:48 BST (UK) »
Goldie61,

My Edward and Margaret could have been married about that time but had a son in Roscommon Ireland about 1813. (which I know Daniel son of Edward and Margaret was born in Roscommon Ireland , married in West Bromwich, lived in Staffordshire, then France, then Staffordshire and then moved to Australia, he was a Blacksmith)

Interesting that you say he was a Smith as my Daniel Bruyn son of Edward and Margaret was a Blacksmith.

It is making me wonder if the record was transcribed incorrectly and if her name written was Marg not Mary.

is this your Daniel Bruyn ???  born 1815

https://gw.geneanet.org/waihibeachsue?n=bruyn&oc=&p=daniel

ADDED Tree owner Susan Lean - any relation to you ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 July 20 08:13 BST (UK) »
Same Daniel but year of birth is questioned and so is the Killaquin area of Roscommon for the birth. No proof has been seen.

His wife is not Sarah Hensley Burn it is Sarah Helen Nicholls.

They were married at St Michaels, RC Church, West Bromwich 5 Feb 1837 (Daniel Bruin and Sarah Nichols).

Proof is on Daniel Justin Bruyn's birth in France (entry left page) 26 May 1847 (both parents names are written as Daniel Joseph Bruyn and Sarah Helen Nickolls) Place of Marriage is also written (Married West Bromick England 8 Feb 1834 instead of 1837, probably to make Joseph, Sarah's son prior to the marriage to look Legitimate or a transcription error when transcribed into English for me) http://www.archivesdepartementales76.net/applications/visualiseurcollaboratif/visualiseur.html?nd=serie_E_seigneuries_familles_notaires_etat_civil%2F003E_004E%2FAD76_Lot_19%2FHavre__Le%2FGraville-l-Heure%2F1847&nf=AD76_EC_5MI1250_02_0097_jpg_&sd=d&t=m&f=229b44d8&c=4E08547&dd=1847&df=1847&l=Graville-l%27Heure&fs=ertz75fd&nfi=AD76_EC_5MI1250_02_0001&nli=AD76_EC_5MI1250_02_0262&fbclid=IwAR1hXvFTnlWl_rgrq1qxenknjZLWrtHXhN6xNJCqjtEVkUkwQvaWwTEbFmU