Author Topic: Can we erase the past .... or should we learn from it ?  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can we erase the past .... or should we learn from it ?
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 19 July 20 19:16 BST (UK) »
I still have no idea how changing things is "erasing the past".
If you change your surname when you get married, are you erasing your past?!
Seems more like some people would just prefer to stubbornly hold onto things whatever the cost.

Exactly. The past can not be erased. Removing a statue of a slave trader doesn't "erase the past", it just demonstrates that 21st century Britain no longer believes that people like that deserve to be on a pedestal. Renaming a dog in the remake of a film is not "political correctness", it is  just that certain derogatory words have no place in modern society. Why some people (I don't mean on this forum) are so vociferous in demanding that the dog retains its original name when so many other details have to be changed in the process of making a film beats me.

The people who removed the statue probably did not know that the slave trader, saved the lives of thousands of former prisoners who would have been killed by their captors, the weakest would have had their heads hacked off by children as young as six years old who due to their lack of strength could take as long as an hour to hack a head off.

But hey, being made a slave was far worse than that.
The times were barbaric, the prisoners of war which is what those slaves were in the early years were always killed in sacrifices to the various Gods, slavery removed them from being a threat and at the same time made those very prisoners a valuable asset.

That does not make the slave trade right, but it does add an extra dimension that should be taken into account.
There were many thing in the past that are unacceptable by the standards of today but in their day they were acceptable.
I also have no doubt that in a few hundred year the people will look back on the barbaric practices of 21st century UK and condemn them.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 19 July 20 20:17 BST (UK) »
No need to wait a few hundred years.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 19 July 20 21:23 BST (UK) »
There's an interesting article on the BBC website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53444752
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 19 July 20 22:33 BST (UK) »
I take the same view as Thumper's Mum
If you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all.

Bottom line is if you 'know' its going to offend don't say it, don't use the terminolgy, even in fun - its not fun if it hurts.

The problem is , the plea of 'well, we didn't mean it in a derogatory manner so what's all the fuss about?' doesn't really hold water but indicates that at some time (and sadly still) it was a belief that some sections of humanity just didn't have feelings like 'us' (whoever the current 'us' was/is) - so how can it be derogatory?

That goes for any section of society who had a different skin colour/religion/accent/ area of birth / education/ amount to live on/ whatever the current easily identifiable thing to pick on was/is.

Just my opinion  - and its okay I've got my coat :-)

Boo

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 19 July 20 22:55 BST (UK) »
"if you 'know' its going to offend"

There are a lot of people who will use racist language when they think it's okay because they're talking to a fellow white person so there's no one to take offense.  I've heard some pretty bad stuff aimed at a variety of targets and not all of it from English speakers  -  the top five [in no particular order]:  an American man [an in-law!], an English woman [a blood relative!], two Ecuadorians [one the brother of a vice president and the other a concentration camp survivor] and one Peruvian.  I only struck back on one occasion [the in-law] because I'd had it with him.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 20 July 20 14:54 BST (UK) »
Today, in connection with another RootsChat thread, I came across an example of someone erasing a  representation of the past instead of learning from it.
A painting of William of Orange with his army before a battle used to hang in Stormont (Northern Ireland Parliament). Someone took a dislike to the picture in the 1930s and slashed it. The picture was removed. The vandal wasn't an Irish Nationalist but a Unionist. What he'd objected to was the inclusion of Pope Innocent XI blessing the army of Protestant William prior to battle. The Pope and William were on the same side during the War of the League of Augsburg, both being members of the Grand Alliance against King Louis of France. True, the Pope wasn't present at the event illustrated - the depiction in the painting was symbolic.

2 programmes on Radio 4 on Saturday evening from the archives touched on themes relevant to this discussion. One was a Reith lecture by Hilary Mantel.   
Cowban

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 22:58 BST (UK) »
Maybe Germans are offended by films where Americans call them 'krauts'.  Having one's countrymen called 'cabbages' must be offensive.

I thought Her Majesty was called "cabbage" by the chookiembra  ;D
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 23 July 20 17:07 BST (UK) »
Totally irrelevant really to this discussion, except that it involves erasing the original image - Isambard Kingdom Brunel's best known photograph originally showed him with a generously sized cigar in his mouth - usually, now, images of him show exactly the same picture, but sans cigar.
I don't object really to that, I'm a confirmed, lifelong NON-smoker, but - it does somehow change the image from how he would be seen in his own time, doesn't it?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 23 July 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
Totally irrelevant really to this discussion, except that it involves erasing the original image - Isambard Kingdom Brunel's best known photograph originally showed him with a generously sized cigar in his mouth - usually, now, images of him show exactly the same picture, but sans cigar.
I don't object really to that, I'm a confirmed, lifelong NON-smoker, but - it does somehow change the image from how he would be seen in his own time, doesn't it?

Exactly  :)  And I, personally, totally DISAGREE with attempting to change the facts of the past.  It was what it was - whether we, in the present, like it or not, or whether we agree with it or not - it HAPPENED.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY