Author Topic: Can we erase the past .... or should we learn from it ?  (Read 4549 times)

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can we erase the past .... or should we learn from it ?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 July 20 15:00 BST (UK) »
Well said, Lydart.

Maybe Germans are offended by films where Americans call them 'krauts'.  Having one's countrymen called 'cabbages' must be offensive. 

More bleeping required!     
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Online Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 July 20 15:04 BST (UK) »
My school uniform was brown. Not just ordinary brown, but a specific shade. Yes, you guessed it. The colour was changed many years ago to blue.  I have no idea why.

I always thought the idea of studying history was to learn from mistakes made in the past. It cannot be erased as if it never happened.

Learn from past mistakes. draw a line and change the present. Who knows, maybe something that we find acceptable now will be totally unacceptable in the future.

Will the dog - who was a real dog, and not just a character in a film - be known as the dog with no name?

FS

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 July 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
  Reply 7 "In medieval times it was common for towns to name their streets to show the trades that were carried out there.  Most of these names would still be acceptable today, but not so for Gropec*nt Lane, which indicated where the prostitutes plied their trade.  Nowadays most of us would not use that word under any circumstances (apart from those who live in Scunthorpe, who have no choice but to live with it  ;D),"

Goodness ! I was born in Scunthorpe, as was my mother, and lived nearby for many years, I`ve "never" heard this before !

Google says there is one in London - further investigation needed re Scunny!!!

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 July 20 18:05 BST (UK) »
Doh - just realised what Stan was getting at with ***** Brown - at least I think I have.  Are we talking about a shade of paint, cloth, etc. - i.e. dark brown.  Blimey  :-X  And it may have a connection to the poor dog  :-\

Let sleeping dogs lie, especially ******  :-X

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 July 20 20:15 BST (UK) »
Times change, and so do our perceptions of what is acceptable and what is not; and when you know that the use of a word causes upset or offence,  why would you continue to use it, when there are other alternatives?  Unless of course you wanted to cause upset and offence.

In medieval times it was common for towns to name their streets to show the trades that were carried out there.  Most of these names would still be acceptable today, but not so for Gropec*nt Lane, which indicated where the prostitutes plied their trade.  Nowadays most of us would not use that word under any circumstances (apart from those who live in Scunthorpe, who have no choice but to live with it  ;D), because it is considered offensive.  So there you are, just one example of how things change.  History hasn't changed, though; but it is being added to, day by day.

I agree, Greensleeves.

And for those worrying about the name of the dog in the Dambusters film, he's called Trigger.  I shouldn't think he'd be upset.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 July 20 20:26 BST (UK) »
You wouldn't go round a cemetery changing any names that happen to offend modern sensitivities, so why should the dog's name be erased from history? Granted it is no longer an acceptable name, but in its day few, if any, people would have been upset by it. 
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 July 20 20:36 BST (UK) »
I think part of the problem is that what is not acceptable can change so quickly, it was not that long ago that calling someone black was considered offensive and now that is what you are supposed to say. It is very difficult to try and keep up to date with what is offensive and what is not.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 July 20 20:41 BST (UK) »

And for those worrying about the name of the dog in the Dambusters film, he's called Trigger.  I shouldn't think he'd be upset.

Are you sure?  Trigger was the name of Roy Rogers' horse - not the Dambusters' dog  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 July 20 20:57 BST (UK) »
The dog in question was called what it was - we cannot change that.  However, we don't need to perpetuate the use of words that cause pain, suffering and offence.  The words that my grandparents used are not the words that I would use, and language will evolve again ad infinitum.  I think that it is right (and overdue) that we have a full and frank conversation about how we as a nation have historically treated other people - and that goes for all nations and about all people, the UK are not the only nation guilty of violating others.

As Greensleeves alluded to - history doesn't stop, we make it everyday!  We have to embrace change and move forward to ensure true equality happens for all humans.