Author Topic: Can we erase the past .... or should we learn from it ?  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Can we erase the past .... or should we learn from it ?
« Reply #81 on: Friday 24 July 20 22:16 BST (UK) »
I think it means that Europe is for white people because "nature" [meaning god] assigned them to it.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 24 July 20 23:10 BST (UK) »
A lot of my ancestors thought nothing of settling on a continent that nature had not assigned them to.

I realise that.  Some of my cousins have moved abroad due to the need of finding work which pays for food to keep them alive.  I can't be sure but as we were all raised the same, I'm pretty sure they didn't whinge and whine that their host country was racist towards them being Poms and Limeys.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Friday 24 July 20 23:21 BST (UK) »
I think it means that Europe is for white people because "nature" [meaning god] assigned them to it.

Is there something named "God"?  According to a documentary on TV this week - there were five species of humans who inter-bred. One species even had wings. :o

Why don't you read my postings more carefully?  This is a genealogy website and we all know that people move about for one reason or another.   
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 24 July 20 23:36 BST (UK) »
Quote from: decor l
Our ethnicity, biological sex, gender identity, sexuality, [b
being disabled or able bodied, class, religion (amongst others) and how they are perceived by society at large prevent life from being a level playing field.[/b]

I need to comment on the part I've emphasised.

I've already stated I received a government questionaire, which needed to be filled in and returned. 

There was a section about any staff having a disability.  I had a sense of sudden panic and guilt when I read that, because my first instinct was that we didn't employ anyone with a disability.  My second thought was:  how could I have forgotten that we'd had to take off one door and door jambs when we first employed our wheelchair bound accountant.  The chief storeman had a pot leg and the workshop supervisor only had a thumb and forefinger on one hand.... then there was me - whose head was too big to get through the door  ;D

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Saturday 25 July 20 00:08 BST (UK) »
Having read some of the comments on here, I realise that we still have a long way to go in order to change attitudes and achieve a more fair and equal society for all.  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Saturday 25 July 20 00:35 BST (UK) »
A lot of my ancestors thought nothing of settling on a continent that nature had not assigned them to.

I realise that.  Some of my cousins have moved abroad due to the need of finding work which pays for food to keep them alive.  I can't be sure but as we were all raised the same, I'm pretty sure they didn't whinge and whine that their host country was racist towards them being Poms and Limeys.

Perhaps because Australia was colonised by the British?! And government policy was for so long based on the idea of white supremacy. And in some ways still is.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Saturday 25 July 20 00:54 BST (UK) »

Perhaps because Australia was colonised by the British?! And government policy was for so long based on the idea of white supremacy. And in some ways still is.

British governments weren't the only governments to colonise other countries.  The  Dutch discovered Australia (which they named "New Holland") in the 1600s.   They could have added it to their other colonies that they had in the Americas, Asia, Africa, but they didn't because the 300 mile coastline that they chartered was a wilderness where nothing grew, thus they didn't think it was worth colonising.

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 25 July 20 01:12 BST (UK) »

British governments weren't the only governments to colonise other countries.  The  Dutch discovered Australia (which they named "New Holland") in the 1600s.   They could have added it to their other colonies that they had in the Americas, Asia, Africa, but they didn't because the 300 mile coastline that they chartered was a wilderness where nothing grew, thus they didn't think it was worth colonising.

How is that even remotely relevant? You seem to think your cousin is a good person because they didn't whinge and whine when they arrived in Australia. But the Australian state was built on white supremacist ideology and colonised by Britain in the first place. Or is the colonial history of Australia just neutral to you? Aborigine peoples are lucky to be allowed to stay there?

You speak in riddles, so why don't you just come out and say what you really think about migration and ethnic minorities in the UK. And whether you think the BLM movement is "whinging and whining"?

Either way, I won't be positing again on this thread. It's too disheartening to read some of the comments people have left. Humans really are doomed.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk