Author Topic: York. St. MARY'S Castle Gate Dade Register  (Read 453 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
York. St. MARY'S Castle Gate Dade Register
« on: Friday 17 July 20 18:45 BST (UK) »
If anyone has access I am looking for a possible baptism of John Meatyard (Meechard or similar phonetic) possibly even Luffman. baseborn son of Betty from March onwards 1776,  Dade register. Details greatly appreciated. If its there it ends a 24 year brick (or granite?) wall blockage.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: York. St. MARY'S Castle Gate Dade Register
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 20 07:48 BST (UK) »
I've browsed the baptism registers at St Mary Castlegate, up to 1790 - no results I'm afraid.  I initially looked for the forename John, and then looked at mother's name.

Sorry
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 20 11:24 BST (UK) »
Just had a general look for that name and found this:-

John Meechard, bapt 13 July 1777, Mother Betty in Henstridge, Somerset.

Possibly not yours but i was thinking what a coincidence,
gogogadgetlegs
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 July 20 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. The full entry reads John (Luffman) *base son of Betty Meechard bapt July 13 1777
*the surname Luffman was crossed through. I was told by an archivist at Somerset RO that this was a device used by the clergy when they knew or thought they knew the identity of the father.
My 2great grand father John Luffman joined the Somerset fencibles on its foundation in 1794 and left it at Alford Lincs in 1796 to marry.
His army discharge from Kilmainham in 1811 says that he was born York 1776, but all the back story such as it is says Somerset.
Betty had an interesting life style, a large number of illegitimate children over around 17 years and never claimed off the parish for any of them.
Henstridge seems to have been a wildest frontier Town in the 1770s. There was one Luffman family with a son William b1754 who I think is John's father. How to prove it?
An army unit recruited in the Henstridge /Sherborne area in late 1775, I think William enlisted to escape the consequences, and Betty followed him as a camp follower giving birth in York 1776.Somehow she returned to Henstridge as above. Oddly there are 2 baptisms in a month, first June, both base born John Meechard mother Betty.
Several posts by me mainly on this site since 2009. If interested please read them through search. There may be a flaw in my reasoning that I can't see.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)