Author Topic: Diary -Friday 17th July  (Read 652 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary -Friday 17th July
« on: Friday 17 July 20 23:13 BST (UK) »
Let's hope Roobarb and I don't post at the same time tonight!

Well my day started cheery and bright... the sun was shining and I was up with the larks... well nearly!
We're going on a picnic with the family meeting at Stowe Gardens.... can't wait to see them all...
Phone rings.... it's my daughter.... she's not sounding chirpy...
Youngest grandson has a raspy cough and a slight temperature. #%!#!#! I think....
Anyway she's worried in case he has something and will pass it on she's worried about her dad... OH ... so we make the decision it's best we don't go. 😭😭😭 She went to bed late last night getting picnic all ready so they could set off early...
We're all gutted, boys have been talking about it all week and of course we all want to see one another....
I'm completely at a loss as to what to do with myself...
They've decided to get him tested... all that time at home he's been fine ... two weeks at school for only 3 hrs a day and he's got this.....
Couldn't settle to do anything... in fact quite forgotten what I did do thus morning ...
Had lunch... played scrabble... just lost...
message from daughter she took him to test centre... stay in car don't open windows... she has to do throat swab..... 5 tests used as he keeps getting his tongue in the way... they send her to another test centre where there will be medics ... no there weren't... in the end she's told to do the nasal swab... takes 5 seconds.... why didn't they do that in the first place 😤😤 two hours boiling in the car and gone 3 pm when they got home all hot and bothered and not having had lunch... now got to wait 48 hrs... they'd got all sorts organised for the w/e too....
We had some neighbours round for early evening drinks sat outside as it was a warm evening...
Didn't eat outside after they'd gone as it was flying ants night...
Watched some tv...
time for bed... exhausted all that stressful emotion and disappointment all round....
sorry I know others have/are having a more difficult time and I shouldn't complain  but just had enough today...

Really hope others have had a good day...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary -Friday 17th July
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 20 00:14 BST (UK) »
No, I'm late tonight Caroline!

So sorry to hear it all went wrong, hope the little one is okay and the test turns out negative. Such a disappointment for you all. Yes, people are having difficult times but when life's pleasures have become so narrowed it's not surprising that something like this gets you down. Hope things are better for you tomorrow.  :-*

My diary:

Woke up to a beautiful sunny day, the forecast said sunny intervals throughout the day. Sadly this was the only sunny interval all day.

Art class Zoom meeting this morning, the last one for a while. We don't know what the position will be in September but if we can't meet physically the teacher will organise something online. Caught up with Rootschat.

Was waiting for my potting bench to be delivered, was betting that it would turn up while the meeting was taking place but luckily it didn't, it arrived about midday. It was a flat pack, I'd checked the reviews to make sure it was easy to put together. Removed all the pieces from the box, put the box in the garage and washed my hands. I assumed that the contents of the box were very unlikely to have been touched by human hand for some time. The wood smelt lovely. Had some lunch then set to putting it together on the lounge floor. It was similar to the shoe rack/seat I have in my hallway that I put together although much larger. It was a bit difficult trying to fit the shelves between two end pieces and screw them without anyone to hold it but I pushed it again the sofa and managed it. There were drilled holes but not in the receiving pieces, I thought that would be a problem but the wood wasn't too hard and once I got a decent screwdriver on the job is was straightforward, although it did take me some time. The screwdriver has ridges on the handle for a good grip, that works well but I ended up with a sore hand. Took the bench out into the garden, moved some stuff around and placed it next to the house wall. Really pleased with it, a little treat for myself. I'm turning into an old fogey!

It was after 3pm and I hadn't been for my walk so set off out. It was warm but the cloud hadn't shifted. Usual path across the field and through the woods then for a change I had a mosey along the walkway that runs behind the houses opposite me. There are lots of trees and areas of grass, also got to see a different view of my neighbours' houses!

Not really sure what else I did, just caught up with things around the house, updated Tesco order for tomorrow then made tea, Cajun chicken with jacket potato, sweetcorn and cherry tomatoes. Rain at tea time. Watched some TV, Gardeners' World, Doc Martin always good for a laugh and it's always summer in Port Wenn. Lovely.  :)

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 20 06:54 BST (UK) »
Oh Caroline, I feel sorry for you all about this latest news.  Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing of too much concern and your Grandson will get better quickly.  I do feel for him having to endure all those tests. I wonder why they attempted five times before going for the easier nasal test.  Hopefully, it won't be long before all is well and you can resume plans for a picnic again.

Roobarb, I am glad to read that your potting bench has arrived and that you are pleased with it.  I do think you deserve to treat yourself after all these past months.  I think how you have kept to a routine and kept busy through this time of social isolation has shown that you have  strength of character.   I admire all who have had to put up and have coped with this.  I have had my ups and downs going out to work but I feel fortunate in that this has provided a sense of the old normal.

My diary:

Woke up quite early on Friday morning.  I had a drained feeling about me which lasted all day - a real wrung out dishrag feeling.  Once awake I couldn't back off to sleep so I had cereal and tea, read a bit, went on RC and checked emails. 
I then went out. Called at the post office and also at a very nice local bread shop.  I pass the local library where there is a small queue outside.  Through the glass I see a table with brown paper bags on.  I presume this must be people's orders awaiting collection.
I then bought a book for my Grandson to go with his other birthday present and a card and a roll of gift wrap.  The card has a picture of 'Paw Patrol' on the front and I think he will like that.
After lunch I wrapped Grandson's birthday presents, wrote out his card and then pottered around a bit with housework.  Then after tea I did a little bit weeding and added this to the already cut grass in the recycle bin and took this out to the street ready for collection early tomorrow.  The neighbour comes out and we chat at a distance across the fence.  He works in a cafe and says they have been very busy all week.  He is very much in favour of mask wearing and says why didn't we have to wear them from day one and that this would have saved a lot of lives.
When I went back in I worked on my quilt project removing more paper templates.  I am only doing a bit here and there so it is taking a while.  Next I went on the internet again and went on RC, checked emails etc.  I also wanted to do a little reading before bed but could hardly keep my eyes open.  Went out like a light when I did get in to bed.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 July 20 07:31 BST (UK) »
Crikey Caroline, such a shame about the picnic, and I do hope the Small One is ok.
Great news your potting table has arrived so swiftly Roobarb, it is a sensible idea since you get so pleasure from gardening.
RTL, love the idea of a Doctors coat for the little fella. Many Happies to him, and I hope you feel better this morning.
Diary.
H got a sudden request to change his teaching session to the morning, so that threw our plans for the day, and we arrived considerably late for our coffee date with SiL.
From there to some small business in town and home along the prom for lunch. A lovely sunny morning and no jumper required.
Enjoyed a video chat with my chum in Cumbria, and made yet more discoveries in researching my family history, but I think I must be close to the finish for that branch now. Surely?
After tea, walked along the prom, as has become a habit, and was delighted to see chicks in the housemartins nests on the pub/hotel, which has now re-opened and was quite busy.
Watched Montalbano on TV.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 July 20 10:45 BST (UK) »
Quite an exciting day for me.  Was sent even more pictures for the family tree.  One of them for couple who were 3x Great Grandparents and a group photo.  Started working on reading the family letters.  I have to do them in bits and bobs as they are hard going to read, on thinish paper written on on both sides with the other side shining through coupled with the old writing.  There are some comments on the latest letter though that hint at a scandal so I'm a excited about that too.  Doubtful there are sources surviving to verify his claims but interesting nonetheless.

Hope your grandson is OK Caw, odds are it will just be something mild. The throat swab is not very pleasant but guidlines say that you should do both throat and nose.  My Daughter was not very cooperative getting hers swabbed.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 July 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
That IS exciting Pharma. Marvellous!!  :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 July 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
RTL, thank you for your kind words. Sounds like an exciting time ahead for your grandson, hope you've been feeling less like a wrung out dishrag today!

Mowsehowse, well done on your discoveries, sometimes the twigs go on indefinitely!

PharmaT, how thrilling to have a photo of 3x great grandparents, would love to have something like that.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales