Author Topic: "Back to normal by Christmas"  (Read 8819 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Back to normal by Christmas"
« Reply #135 on: Saturday 01 August 20 10:19 BST (UK) »

I think you might have been tearing your hair out during this outbreak at the number of illegal migrants this leaky old English boat has let in via rubber dingies crossing the Channel (over 2,000) and Brits assisting illegals by boats, motor vehicles and planes

It would be a mistake to start blaming immigrants. During the COVID outbreak, an estimated 1.3 million Brits have returned home. Your figure of 2000 pales into insignificance.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Saturday 01 August 20 11:47 BST (UK) »

I think you might have been tearing your hair out during this outbreak at the number of illegal migrants this leaky old English boat has let in via rubber dingies crossing the Channel (over 2,000) and Brits assisting illegals by boats, motor vehicles and planes

It would be a mistake to start blaming immigrants. During the COVID outbreak, an estimated 1.3 million Brits have returned home. Your figure of 2000 pales into insignificance.

I agree, even after lockdown began people were being allowed back into the country without being tested or told to quarantine. I know someone who returned form Nepal and another from Italy, both walked straight through customs. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Saturday 01 August 20 12:22 BST (UK) »

But without immigrants to blame, who else is left? ;-)
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Saturday 01 August 20 13:24 BST (UK) »

But without immigrants to blame, who else is left? ;-)

If you'd like to tell me why I'm xenophobic about migrants when I have migrants in my family, I'd like to know about it.

I don't have a one track mind and I am not the zenophobic on this thread.   Every week it seems we find one more person that allows the incidence of the covid virus to increase

The newsreels have  now reported that South Korea, which has not had a new case for weeks and has not opened its borders has suddenly had one person with the virus, which then exploded to 80 cases. 

Additionally the newsreels announce cats carry the virus, which to my mind (but maybe not to others) begs the question about animal imports.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Saturday 01 August 20 13:31 BST (UK) »
In previous discussions on here, young people have been blamed for their attitude and attendance at raves etc.
Yesterday, one theory was put forward that younger people may now be contracting the virus because they are usually the ones in low paid employment trying to keep things going for the rest of us.

Overcrowding has been given as one of the reasons in my area. Mr Hancock said that this was deduced by whole families now getting it so therefore tracing was easier.
However, we can’t yet trace if the virus was passed on in the supermarket, or the bus etc.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Saturday 01 August 20 13:32 BST (UK) »
Additionally the newsreels announce cats carry the virus, which to my mind (but maybe not to others) begs the question about animal imports.

The pet cat in Britain which was in the news recently got the infection from its' owner.
Which imported animal species were you thinking of?
Cowban

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Saturday 01 August 20 13:39 BST (UK) »

[/quote]
My hair went long ago, so impossible.
An organised immigration policy is needed but way beyond the pay grade of this gang!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Saturday 01 August 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
I blame:

1. The Dominic Cummings fiasco - after that, a lot of people lost faith. Why should lockdown rules applying to them but not to the 'elite'. After that, whenever Boris or one of the Minions stood at that podium and pontificated, I'd just switch them off in disgust.

2. Face masks. Despite being told early in the epidemic that they weren't much use, we're now told they're indispensable. They're not - its a ruse to make us think the government is on top of this. They're not. They've just convinced people that, as long as they wear a mask, they can do whatever they like. And, guess what, by and large, they are!

3. Political correctness. The powers that be are so afraid of upsetting ethnic minorities and being called racist, that they've let situations in Leicester etc get completely out of hand rather than going in and sorting out the problems facing ethnic communities in this area.  They've failed to do this for years.

4. Boris Johnson. I think he's like someone on a seesaw that's out of control: one minute, it'll all 'be over by Christmas', the next, the situation is dire and we should all do our impressions of Corporal Jones! I know its difficult juggling the nation's health against economic slowdown but a bit of consistency might be appreciated. I'm sorry if sandwich shops etc kept in business by people on the way to or nipping out from work are going bust, but times change and we have to change with them. Think of all the travel/commuting problems that will be solved by more people working from home (I know not everyone can do so) - not to mention how much healthier our environment will be if commuting and endless holidays abroad slowed down considerably.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Saturday 01 August 20 13:41 BST (UK) »
I am not even going to consider when we will be getting back to normal  if we ever do, it is out of our hands, EXCEPT,  we all ought to consider others and be sensible, to be honest I am finding with subject very depressing

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London