Author Topic: "Back to normal by Christmas"  (Read 8838 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Back to normal by Christmas"
« Reply #144 on: Saturday 01 August 20 13:57 BST (UK) »

Think of all the travel/commuting problems that will be solved by more people working from home (I know not everyone can do so) - not to mention how much healthier our environment will be if commuting and endless holidays abroad slowed down considerably.

Every cloud has a silver lining.
1st point. There is a current thread on RC about narcissism. Certain people sprang to my mind.
Cowban

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Saturday 01 August 20 14:50 BST (UK) »
In previous discussions on here, young people have been blamed for their attitude and attendance at raves etc.
Yesterday, one theory was put forward that younger people may now be contracting the virus because they are usually the ones in low paid employment trying to keep things going for the rest of us.

Overcrowding has been given as one of the reasons in my area. Mr Hancock said that this was deduced by whole families now getting it so therefore tracing was easier.
However, we can’t yet trace if the virus was passed on in the supermarket, or the bus etc.

Yes, I was extremely surprised to learn that the latest clues from Mr Hancock is that family gatherings were involved, especialy as a member of a family wouldn't want to mix with family if there was any danger to their loved ones.

I've always thought that there are carriers who show no signs of an ailment but can infect others, so I'm crossing my fingers that somebody in this world finds a quick easy and reliable test sooner rather than later.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Saturday 01 August 20 16:42 BST (UK) »
...Er ... can anyone remember what "Normal" is, please?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Saturday 01 August 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
We have to think back to March

Yesterday was the first time since March I was able to take my lovely neighbour shopping at 8am, thought we might be getting back to near normal,   if ever

Louisa maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Saturday 01 August 20 17:03 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine who is 82 and his grandson of 21 not living together  have both been chosen to see if they have had the virus or are carriers, has anyone been asked to do the test through the post and a courier will collect it?

Louisa maud

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Saturday 01 August 20 17:15 BST (UK) »

We had such a lovely bright sunny day here yesterday I somehow hate to bring rain into the conversation but I'd love a normal Christmas again.  Dressed up warmly to do some last minute shopping in the heaving city centre where attractive seasonal window dressing invited us into the stores.

Then at home, last minute baking and wrapping of presents.  Christmas Day all the families present to play seasonal games.
 lol Bryan came home from work one day and informed me he'd invited his pal and family to arrive tomorrow evening after teatime.

I did the old fashioned thing and  organised "homemade" games , then when the family of five arrived I gaily announced they were welcome and I'd got the food & games ready - at which the visiting young teenage offspring gave loud groans :-) 

The thing about family games is that children and parents share an enjoyable pastime together and from the happy smiles and laughter throughout the evening I know my children and the visiting children and their parents enjoyed the party games of old.

I bet a lot of rootschatters have the same memories
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Saturday 01 August 20 17:19 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine who is 82 and his grandson of 21 not living together  have both been chosen to see if they have had the virus or are carriers, has anyone been asked to do the test through the post and a courier will collect it?

Louisa maud

I live in northwest Lancashire, am being shielded, and haven't had any invitation but I see that our local MP who has a page on facebook has announced the tests.

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Saturday 01 August 20 17:31 BST (UK) »

Prof Chris Whitty, the Chief MO for England, and here in Wales, Mark Drakeford, the First Minister, seem to think we may have gone as far as we can in relaxing the "lockdown". Oh w(h)ell.
However, we mustn't lose hope.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Saturday 01 August 20 21:13 BST (UK) »
Additionally the newsreels announce cats carry the virus, which to my mind (but maybe not to others) begs the question about animal imports.

The pet cat in Britain which was in the news recently got the infection from its' owner.
Which imported animal species were you thinking of?

I realise you take umbrage at everything I write, but it seems to me that you don't watch the same TV documentaries as me, otherwise you'd realise that there are people in this world who try to smuggle all sorts of items and living creatures through customs.