Author Topic: Jerzy Sikorski, Egypt 1942  (Read 891 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jerzy Sikorski, Egypt 1942
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 July 20 18:17 BST (UK) »
To Gibel,

Thank you for the information, I will certainly look that up.  Unless somebody has shared my work I am not the poster - but I will certainly look it up.  As Carol said I have received awards from the Poles for my work but a Polish person in Australia has also accused me of being an anti-Polish racist bigot.  Where they got that one from, I will never know as I have spent the last 14 years researching the men of 304 Squadron and I have the greatest respect for them.  Now I can't wait to look up that site!

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 July 20 18:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you tomkin

His family will love that!

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 July 20 18:27 BST (UK) »
For Carol and Gibel

With this one I have been working blind because he is NOT Jerzy Sikorski but changed his name with the blessing of the Polish Air Force, to avoid reprisals from the invading Germans and Russians against his family who were still in Poland.

After the war he stayed on in the RAF but, unusually, stuck to the Sikorski name and never changed it back.  I believe that I may have found his real identity - now I just have to prove it.  Looks like another trip to Poland coming up when the virus permits.  His children were legally baptised and registered under the name of Sikorski so it came as a surprise to them, too!

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 July 20 18:45 BST (UK) »
I googled this man purely being nosey as I had a friend whose parents were Polish and I heard lots of stories of the Poles In the forces in WW2. Anyhow if you google “polish fighter pilots key aero” you’ll find a lot of information about Jerzy. It’s definitely the same man as they have the same photograph. Just ignore this if you have already been on the site.
I have checked this out and it is a different researcher investigating the same man.  They do not have the modified photos as shown in this post and seem to be at a similar stage in the investigation except they have not picked up on the false name.  I will try to contact him as we may be able to pool our resources.  Thanks for the tip

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 July 20 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thankyou zoe_Wiccalo,

His family will love the colour too!

You seem to have missed the other restores by Trishanne & japeflakes ::).

As both Trishanne and japeflakes will confirm, I always acknowledge and thank them just as I thanked and acknowledged yours.  I don't know what happened to the one post in which I did acknowledge their contributions but thank you for pointing it out.  Both of them have done several restores for me and I have always been appreciative.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 July 20 19:23 BST (UK) »
For Gibel,

I have tried to join this site but it keeps sending me round in circles then telling me my password or user name is wrong.  So I can't contact this man - but he has all the same photos as me so I assume he has been in contact with the family.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 July 20 19:32 BST (UK) »
For Trishanne and japeflakes

Please accept my apologies for not acknowledging your usual brilliant efforts.  It has been pointed out to me that I have not acknowledged your efforts.  As you both know, I always do.  I have no idea what happened to my original post but I am grateful for your work.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 July 20 20:17 BST (UK) »
For Trishanne and japeflakes

Please accept my apologies for not acknowledging your usual brilliant efforts.  It has been pointed out to me that I have not acknowledged your efforts.  As you both know, I always do.  I have no idea what happened to my original post but I am grateful for your work.
[/quote

Not a problem: Thanks for letting me know :-)