Author Topic: immigrants in 1850  (Read 1970 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: immigrants in 1850
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 07:28 BST (UK) »
first born Charles Christian Romang on 15th feb 1858 in King Street ,Westminster - 2 years before they married ... I wonder why they waited over 2 years to marry ??

Richard Romang has the family tree

https://gw.geneanet.org/rromang?lang=en&pz=johann+hans+peter&nz=romang&ocz=1&p=charles+christian+edward&n=romang
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline swissancestor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
This is a question i have wondered about. I think the daughter Louisa Sophia might also have been born pre-marriage.
Romang - Switzerland & London
Johnson - Limehouse
Guy - Seaton Delaval
Beck / Wood - New Hartley
Lloyd - Shropshire & Suffolk

Offline swissancestor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 July 20 15:40 BST (UK) »
Have just checked out one of the records suggested by Comberton for August Romer or Romen and it would seem this is another child of Charles Romang and Sophia Pattle that i had no record for as address, occupation and names all tie up.
It seems Sophia registered the birth but could not read or write. I'm assuming that with her Suffolk accent she pronounced Romang as Roman and the transcriber has read it as Romer. Very excited by this as their is  family story is of two brothers who fell out, could be Auguste and his brother Charles Jr.

Of course this now means finding out what happened to August? ???

Still waiting for the certificate for Louisa Sophia Romang but thanks for the direction, for me this is an exciting development.  ;D
Johnson - Limehouse
Guy - Seaton Delaval

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 July 20 22:20 BST (UK) »
There is this death
Sep qtr 1864
Poplar
August Romany
aged 3
Burial on Deceased Online
as Auguste Romany
15th August 1864
Camden

Offline swissancestor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 22:42 BST (UK) »
Have now had the certificates through

August born 1861 in Castle Street and died of measles in 1864 in Flint Street Poplar, home of the Pattle family. Similarly another daughter Mary Anne had been born in Castle Street and died at the Pattle home in Canning Town in 1863.

Sophia Louisa born in Soho 1859, before Charles and Sophia married.

It looks as if the Pattle family in Poplar looked after the children so probably took in Sophia Louisa on her fathers death. Though there's no evidence in the census of 1871 she was recorded as living in and marrying in Poplar in 1881.The census of 1871 shows Charles Junior was an apprentice watchmaker in Old Compton Street before appearing in Poplar in 1881 living with his uncle. cryptically the census entry for Louisa (now married to William Mallett) shows her birth place as Jerusalem (Turk in Europe) and her husbands as St Andrews City, Middlesex ?

Thanks everyone for your help

Johnson - Limehouse
Guy - Seaton Delaval