Author Topic: immigrants in 1850  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: immigrants in 1850
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 July 20 20:03 BST (UK) »
There is a Freemason entry 1864 for Charles Romang age 26 waiter of 24 Maddox Street.
On the next page where it looks like dues paid are recorded, for 1869 it has Dead
An Ancestry tree has his death  as 28-4-1869 Middlesex Hospital, Marylebone and Sophia's death 20-7-1863 East Castle Street, Marylebone. They obviously have her death certificate.
In attendance Charles Christian Edward Romang. Must be Maria Sophia Romang aged 27.
births
Dec 1859
Marylebone
Sophia Louisa Romer
mmn Pattle

Sep 1861
St James Westminster
August Romer (male)
mmn Pattle

Jun 1863
Marylebome
Mary Sophia Romang
mmn Pattle
Sorry, doesn't answer original query

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 July 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
There is something called the Historical Dictionary of Switzerland and on there you get lusts of surnames with their original home place of their name
https://hls-dhs-dss.ch/famn/index.php If that doesn’t work just google Historical Dictionary Of Switzerland.

On there I looked up the name Romang

At the bottom of the page there are 3 people who have more biographical details, one is an Emile Romang born Vevey 1863 and it states son of John Christian. Could he be a brother to your man? I don’t like to copy and paste the entry as may not be allowed.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 July 20 22:09 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat from me also.

You may have already checked this - but there are U.K. Aliens entry records on the Ancestry website.

Unfortunately they are not 'searchable' - you would have to pick the appropriate years and turn each page. Your ancestor may not even have been considered an 'alien' I don't know.

To find the records - go to the card catalogue and simply type 'Aliens' in the search box (without the quotes).

If you filter to    “ All England, Alien Arrivals, 1810-1811, 1826-1869” it is searchable.  There are two possibles.   One said to be  German and one French.   Perhaps the names of the people they are with might help.

Offline swissancestor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 July 20 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think the facts everyone has quoted tie in with what i have found so far.

Charles Edward Christian Romang was born in Vevey on 10th October 1837. His parents were Christian 'Jean' Romang a Hotellier in Vevey and Maria Beyeler and he had 8 siblings. The birth was registerd in Gsteig due to the Swiss citizenship system. I have complete records of the family in Switzerland dating back to 1520. I know that Charles married Sophia Pattle at All Saints in Soho in 1860 and that they had three children, Charles born 1858 as Charles Pattle and baptised as Harry Charles Christian Romang. Louisa Sophia born about 1860 and Mary Anne born 1863. They are shown as living in East Castle Street in the 1861 census and Charles is working as a waiter. Charles wife Sophia died of smallpox in 1863 and their youngest daughter died soon after in the Pattle residence in Canning Town. Charles was a member of a Masonic Lodge in Fleet Street, London and is registered as living in Maddox Street. Charles died in the Middlesex hospital of Kidney disease on 28th April 1869. His son Charles and Daughter Louisa are orphaned and Louisa dissapears from the records for a while. Charles Jr is listed in the 1871 census as a watchmakers apprentice in Old Compton Street and later lives with his Uncle John Pattle working as a ships fitter living his life in Poplar. Louisa reappears in 1881 and is married to William Mallet living in the same area as her brother Charles in Poplar, East London. I have a pretty detailed record of their lives and of their decendants but still have two questions i've been unable to  find an answer for

1. When did Charles come to London to work as a waiter
2. What happened to Louisa between the death of her father and her marriage to William Mallett.

There seemed to be no birth record for Louisa either but i think this may now be answered. Thanks again for everyones help, i've has quite a journey of discovery with this for a few years now and tieing up the two loose ends would be great.
Romang - Switzerland & London
Johnson - Limehouse
Guy - Seaton Delaval
Beck / Wood - New Hartley
Lloyd - Shropshire & Suffolk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 July 20 13:37 BST (UK) »
Oh Mckha -- thank you for clarifying that - I hadn't known about the filter before.

I only knew about the dataset because I was once looking for an immigration to England in the 1800s for a friend (which I didn't find!!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline swissancestor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 July 20 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mckha49. I've looked at the immigration register for aliens entering the UK and the entry originating in France looks plausible based on the year, the French speaking background and potential direction of entry though i know a lot of Swiss immigrants came through Ostend.

Gibel, thanks for highlighting this. Emile Romang born 1863 is Charles Romang's Nephew who founded the Getaz Romang company.

Comberton it's possible that the birth record for Sophia Louisa Romer is the record for Charles Romangs daughter i've had trouble tracing, i didn't have the mmn Pattle before. It might also mean Charles has another son that i wasn't aware of. I'll order the certificates to find out.

Hopefully that just leaves the mystery of Sophia Louisa's life up until her marriage to work out.

Thanks all
Johnson - Limehouse
Guy - Seaton Delaval

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 July 20 21:56 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism for a Sophia Pattle on 25 May 1834 at Wickhambrook, Suffolk.  Parents are John (labourer) and Ann.

Added:  There is a marriage for a John Patell to an Ann Firmin on 22 March 1831 at Wickhambrook, Suffolk. Transcription from Find My Past.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline swissancestor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 July 20 12:25 BST (UK) »
Girl Guide

Thanks, that would be Charles Romang's wife Sophia Pattle who died of small pox. My challenge at the moment is finding out what happened to her daughter Louisa Sophia Romang between the death of her father in 1869 when she would have been orphaned and her marriage to William Mallet in 1881 where she is recorded as living in Bloomsbury Street, London. She would have been 9 when her father died and there is no record in the census that i can find of her living with her mothers family whilst her fathers family are in Switzerland. I'm wondering what happened to orphaned children during this period. I know her brother Charles became an apprentice.
Johnson - Limehouse
Guy - Seaton Delaval

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 00:12 BST (UK) »
In 1881, who were the witnesses at marriage? Perhaps her family?
Who was living in the 1881 census at the address in Bloomsbury street she gives at marriage? (Perhaps an employer)

If there were family, family friends or neighbours willing to take her in, she might have been been informally fostered/adopted. She might even appear under that family's name in the 1871 census, then have reverted to her birth name as an adult.

If she ended up under the care of the Board of Guardians (state care), she could have been in a children's institution of some sort or boarded out in a private home:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/boardingout/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk