Author Topic: James Arthur Fisher - Was he a Captain or not ?  (Read 3638 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Arthur Fisher - Was he a Captain or not ?
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 25 July 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
One of those 1922 reports has these dates. Which could mean absolutely nothing!

“ He enlisted on February 4, 1916, and in June 1917, was in hospital for shell shock after a remarkable escape from death, “

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 25 July 20 11:09 BST (UK) »
I'm just chasing after loose ends. One of them was "Fulford Hall" but it is stated in court in 1917 that he had never lived there. "At the most" he had stayed there as a guest. Fulford Hall in that period was the home of manufacturer Wilfrid Hill, a Liberal parliamentary candidate (perhaps related to John Ernest Hill who defended JAF?). Researching Fulford Hall took me back to the court report and the "mental kink" quote which I remembered from the bogus doctor case.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 25 July 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
Where do you find these newspaper reports - i don't remember seeing the one about a daughter being born and JAF thinking he was a 'big pot'.   Nor about him being in hospital in 1917 for shell shock  -  1917 of course he was in court for wearing the King's uniform as a Captain when he was not entitled to .  Searching on the BNA website gives me very little I find.

I have been doing FH for 40 years and thought I knew my way around pretty well, but I am such a novice compared to you folks.

I very much welcome you ShaunJ to tie up all the loose ends you can find !

I wold love to be in touch with one of his descendants, but they would probably know a lot less than you folks on here - and now me.

ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 25 July 20 12:37 BST (UK) »
I have found the newspaper reports now in BNA as mentioned, the extra 1917 report and the 1922 report on JAF as a bogus doctor.   The 1922 case  -  states JAF was suffering from shell shock and in hospital from June 1917 until November 1918 continuous .  I think the age is given as 28yrs (poor quality image) so few years young than he would be.   I thought it interesting how he says in his defence he was 'too energetic and tried to get on too quickly. i was a month too soon, otherwise I would have been all right'.  Reminded me of similar attitude as expressed when JAF was caught out in other cases.    Haven't had change to read through properly yet.

My JAF was in court in 1922 for obtaining money under false pretences  (in Axbridge, Somerset so next door to Devon).    Mentions he was a coffee planter though no mention of this in the 'doctor case' .    So how does it square with JAF above being in hospital in 1917, when he was in court for wearing the uniform of a captain in 1st Grenadier Guards without entitlement  in 1917.  Again no mention of that (as far as I can see) in the bogus doctor case.

Again it is tantalisingly close to it being one and the same man, and yet . . . . .
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 25 July 20 15:58 BST (UK) »
There is a (now) closed thread on the Great War Forum essentially dealing with the same subject which can be a tad frustrating and leads to duplicate work!

That said, one more piece of the jigsaw emerges from the newspapers, specifically the Warwick and Warwickshire Advertiser and Gazette of 4 Dec 1915 which records that Captain JA Fisher....appointed 2/Lt..Oct 1914 in [14 ]Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment... has been transferred to the local reserve of the Warwicks.

That would explain why, when he was (re) appointed captain in Mar 1916 he is listed as "Second reserve" which I had overlooked before and may well explain why he didn't go overseas until July 1917. 

His "shell shock" is yet another of his tall tales, the hunting accident referred to in the Birmingham Mail in Jan 1917 is far more believable.

The "continuous" dates don't add up with the dates in the RAF record.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 25 July 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
His connection with 6th Dragoon Guards ended in July 1914 - yet this crops up in the Daily Post in October 1915:

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Saturday 25 July 20 16:44 BST (UK) »
Surely evidence about JAF being shell shocked and in hospital during 1917 / 1918 (in 1922 case) would have to be verified by doctors to be allowed in evidence in a court case ?     JAF couldn't just say it had happened and be believed.

Still trying to double check on all the evidence for JAF to see if it is the same man in every instance, or not.   

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Saturday 25 July 20 16:47 BST (UK) »
Not sure if these have been found before:

R War, R: Temp. Capt. J. A. Fisher, from a service battalion be temporary captain (Nov. 5, but with seniority Dec. 3, 1914).
(Birmingham Daily Post 30 November 1915)
R. War: Temp. Capt. J. A. Fisher relinquishes on account of ill-health (Dec. 24).
(Birmingham Daily Post 24 December 1915)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 25 July 20 17:23 BST (UK) »
Good spots!  The first would perhaps add up with the move to the reserve and the second is the missing link of his retirement until coming back again in Mar 1916 and then described as "late temp capt".

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia