Author Topic: James Arthur Fisher - Was he a Captain or not ?  (Read 3582 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Arthur Fisher - Was he a Captain or not ?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 July 20 20:26 BST (UK) »
Certainly sounds as if there is a book in there  -  and it sounds as if this is going to run and run.
What have I started !   Thank you so much to everyone for all your contributions - if there is more, keep them coming !    I have copied all the various entries into one document to try and make sense of it, and see where / if my JAF fits in, and follow up the links you have posted.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 July 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
I have membership of the British Newspaper Archive website but am not finding the various postings people have made about newspaper articles found.  Though I have found an entry for 'Dishonoured cheques of a planter'.    You just feel there is so much more out there to find !
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 July 20 21:36 BST (UK) »
I just searched on James Arthur Fisher, and then limited the results to specific decades, 1910-1919, 1920-1929, and then again for 1940-1949, although you can also limit it to specific years, i.e. 1917, 1922, and 1940 for sure. His misdemeanours were fairly widely reported, so you'll find the same incident cropping up in multiple newspapers at the same time. Unfortunately I don't have a subscription to the British Newspaper Archive so can't go beyond looking at what comes up in searches. It seems to go quiet in the 1930's, so perhaps this is related to his sojourn in Kenya if the reports are to be believed.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
(Negotiating this pesky problem of continual message telling me Roots.chat is unsafe - grrrrr !)
So CraigM63  -  do you mean you just put James Arthur Fisher and  say 1920 - 1929 into a Google or bing search to find any information ?  Or do you mean into Ancestry ?  Or do you have access to a different newspaper website ?    I have done as you suggest in British Newspaper Archive website but it didn't provide me with anything.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 11:20 BST (UK) »
Are you using exact search for the exact  phrase in Advanced Search?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 11:38 BST (UK) »
I have found a couple now putting "James Arthur Fisher" in search then going through the different time periods. (British Newspaper Archive website)

But can I say that the JAF in the first lot of newspaper articles from 1917 and 1940  is 'my' James Arthur Fisher ?

And what is people's opinion on the James Arthur Annesley Fisher chap who was so notorious in his behaviour - same person ?   

There has been nothing really to clinch it for me.  Even when he marries and gives his father's name, it is not the father of 'my' JAF.   

Any suggestions as to how I use all the information supplied by folks on here to get to a final answer ?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 12:03 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the signatures on the marriage register, the 1913 attestation, and the 1914 discharge.

There will be more in the divorce papers at TNA
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 12:22 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ  -   many thanks.   That writing /  signatures certainly look the same. I haven't had  chance to look into everything supplied to me on here  - it has all been coming so fast and furious!    -    but  I will over next few days.    I feel there must be so much more out there to fill out this tale of JAF,  it is just finding it!   

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 12:23 BST (UK) »
I would be very surprised if the person who had so much court trouble was the same person who joined the RAF in WW2 and was an officer. Even if the RAF was very short of people I would think they would be loath to take anyone with a history of fraud, in fact for the officers in all 3 services such a person would be treated as a pariah.