Author Topic: James Arthur Fisher - Was he a Captain or not ?  (Read 3632 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Arthur Fisher - Was he a Captain or not ?
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 19:38 BST (UK) »
No I hadn't read about Frankie Henry Bayliss Fisher but I see that Charlotte's later life  remains a bit of a mystery.

I think it may be important to follow this up:
Captain James Annesley Fisher was attached to the RAF for most of 1918 and gave his next of kin as his mother Mrs J G ( or T G) Taylor, Canford Chine, Canford Cliffs, Bournemouth.

Canford Chine is a house on Ravine Road, between Poole and Bournemouth. The 1918 and 1919 electoral rolls list only a Josephine Margaret Taylor at that address.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 20:22 BST (UK) »
I was thinking of looking for the birth certificate for a James Annesley Fisher  -  just in  there is one!   I found James Annesley Fisher's name on  Website of the Royal Flying Corp but it didn't give his rank or a date, which it did for most others.

My JAF's mother of course was Charlotte.    So if he gives a Mrs Taylor as his mother how do I go about looking into that?    I think it sounds as if he says just  whatever he decides at any particular time !
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 20:31 BST (UK) »
I think this may be the Josephine Margaret Taylor (Mrs T G Taylor). Husband Thomas George Taylor was an army officer. Not JAF's mother but perhaps a paramour.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWNC-WF7

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 21:00 BST (UK) »
James Annesley Fisher's RAF record (the one with his mother in Canford Cliffs) has his rank as Captain.  It also has a note that he was [previously] a Capt in 11 Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.  It also says he had applied in August 1940 to join the RAFVR (from an address in Cromwell Road London) which cross checks with that name being granted a commission in the RAFVR effective 22 Nov 1940 (London Gazette).

There are WW1 medal cards for a James Arthur and a James Annesley both in  the Warwickshire Regiment, both captains with each card having the other name on it.  (JA Fisher Warwicks appointed 2/Lt 1 Oct 1914 - Captain 29 Mar 1916 - London Gazette)   The detail on both is identical, only one set of medals was issued, and there is just one entry in the Warwick's medal roll as JA Fisher.
Not sure whether this duplicates stuff you have already?

MaxD

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Max, the Gazette information you have found on the 1914 commission and 1916 promotion to Captain is new info for us, and fills a gap in the narrative.

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 23:27 BST (UK) »
I think this may be the Josephine Margaret Taylor (Mrs T G Taylor). Husband Thomas George Taylor was an army officer.

Thomas George Taylor was a Lieutenant in the Gordon Highlanders in the 1911 Census, and presumably a fairly well-heeled one at that given that, apart from Josephine, the other seven members of the household were all domestic staff.

According to the census Thomas and Josephine had been married for less than a year, so either earlier in 1911, or in 1910. There is also a death registration for a Josephine Margaret Taylor in the first quarter of 1982 in Westminster, London, birth date is given as 1 April 1884. A death notice was published in The Times on 7 January 1982, death was on 5 January 1982.

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 23:30 BST (UK) »
According to the 1911 Census, Josephine was born in Midlothian, Scotland, so running with the 1884 birth year, a quick search on ScotlandsPeople brings up only one possible candidate, Josephine Margaret Lang, who's birth was registered in St Giles, Midlothian.

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 23:35 BST (UK) »
And again, a search on ScotlandsPeople finds a marriage for Josephine Margaret Lang and Thomas George Taylor in Selkirk in 1910.

But what is the connection with James Arthur Annesley Fisher? There are family trees on Ancestry for this branch of the Taylor family.

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 23 July 20 00:50 BST (UK) »
I was thinking of looking for the birth certificate for a James Annesley Fisher  -  just in  there is one!   

A search of the GRO Indexes shows no births for a James Annesley Fisher between the years 1888 to 1919. There is a birth registered for a James Arthur Fisher in the June quarter of 1891, in Kings Norton, mother's maiden name is Hunt, so 'our' James Arthur Fisher.