Author Topic: Congleton, Cheshire, Gospel crusaders photo - date?  (Read 715 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Congleton, Cheshire, Gospel crusaders photo - date?
« on: Saturday 18 July 20 20:24 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the clothing etc can put a year on it?

The person's head is blocking some wording on the banner which probably says Loyalty to Christ, and certainly Congleton Cheshire.

According to the archives of the local newspaper, in early 1931, there was a Bethel Evangelistic Society & Full Gospel Fellowship in Congleton, Cheshire, meeting at a mill in the town, announcing revivalist and spiritual healing meetings in the paper. There may be similar reports from earlier, but lockdown has limited access to the newspaper offices, so I haven't yet looked at 1930 papers.

In May 1931 there was an article about the hopes for a Bethel and Full Gospel church to be built in the town once funds allowed. 

In a 1970 book by Stephens, about the history of the town, there was mention of a Bethel and Full Gospel church established in 1936, but that it no longer existed.

I'm not sure at which point a congregation would have such a banner, and where it would have been displayed.  Perhaps in the mill before they had their own church?  Or would it have been for parades, or public preaching, or events such as services in the town hall?  The latter was written up in the local paper, mentioning the presence on the platform of 'a goodly number of uniformed Crusaders' and also of scholars of the Sunday School - or 'Sunbeams' as they are called - offered proof of the growth of this newly formed religious organisation in Congleton.

I suppose the photo is from the 30s but I'd be interested to know whether it can be narrowed down any further.

Thanks for looking.

Val
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline NeObr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Congleton, Cheshire, Gospel crusaders photo - date?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 July 20 13:15 BST (UK) »
My contribution.

I have no idea of the information you need but as my hobby is to restore photos left here a little of what I like to do.

High Resolution Version

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 July 20 13:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that improvement, but really I don't want people spending time on restoring, as I know it's time consuming.

Great job though!
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline NeObr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 July 20 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that improvement, but really I don't want people spending time on restoring, as I know it's time consuming.

Great job though!

time is what I have the most these days

[]īs

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 July 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
 ;D
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 July 20 13:52 BST (UK) »
I would say this was late 1920s early 1930s, the cloche hat was popular in the 1920s but the brim disappeared in the early 1930s. Both styles appear to be shown in the photo.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 July 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Treetotal.

It wasn't founded until 1931, or at the earliest, in late 1930, so perhaps the photo is early on the church existence.

I shall ask the local newspaper to show the pic and ask if any readers have any knowledge of the people in the pic, or the church itself. 

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 July 20 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, there is a photographer's studio name in the bottom right. Have you researched them (e.g. trading years) to see if that provides any info ?
Unrelated, that photo restoration is excellent. Great job.
Good luck with your research.
Simon
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 July 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
I contacted the local museum and they had the same image in their archives and had never known anything about this religious group.  So my research in the local paper helped them understand the image better. I didn't ask specifically about date but think they would have explored the photographer side.  I will contact them again.  Thanks for reminding me to do this.
Crook, Bannister, Warren