Author Topic: Congleton, Cheshire, Gospel crusaders photo - date?  (Read 725 times)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Congleton, Cheshire, Gospel crusaders photo - date?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 July 20 19:07 BST (UK) »
As well as the Congleton Chronicle and the museum there is a Facebook page called Congleton chats back and another called Congleton past and present in photographs. The museum does monthly walks round the town (not at the moment) and one is about the history of all the churches but I don't remember that church.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 July 20 19:57 BST (UK) »
Yes I've been on the religions walk around the town. Very interesting.

Apparently the church had gone by the time a book about the town's history was published in 1970.  It was mentioned as 'no longer exists'.

The local paper (Congleton Chronicle) is going to publish it and I'll try the past and present FB page too.  Thanks for letting me know about that one. I knew about the chats back (well there are about 3 versions at least) but it's probably the wrong place, judging from what's usually on them.

Thanks.
Val
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 09:09 BST (UK) »
One volunteer at the museum thinks that although the name of the photographer is unclear, it could be Norman Mason.  He went on to say: '...he was the only photographic dealer on the high street in the 1930’s according to the trade directories. Indeed I recall that he was still there in the 1950’s. In the 1920’s the same premise (28 High Street) had been occupied by another photographic dealer, Cadman and Co.'

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 12:20 BST (UK) »
It looks like 1920s to me.  It would probably have its basis in the brethren traditions so maybe see if there were any gospel halls or meetings especially as Bethel is the type of names they used.  Also there might be information in local newspapers as these meetings would probably been advertised as that's what these evangelistic groups did.
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 July 20 09:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Creasegirl.  I've already looked at local papers, and the group was founded in either very late 1930, or early 1931.  I searched all the 1931 papers, and a few 1932, but Covid stopped me looking at 1930.  A job for later.

In Jan 1932 there was a report of the first anniversary service/meeting of the group.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 July 20 08:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Clayton Bradley, I found the FB page 'Congleton in photographs ( past and present )' and posted it yesterday.  Immediately someone recognised their parents in it (they met through this church) and thought it was 1933.  Their parents married in 1935 and it was before then.

The local paper has also printed it, so it will be interesting to see if anyone else responds.

Crook, Bannister, Warren