Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 18th July  (Read 662 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 18th July
« on: Saturday 18 July 20 23:34 BST (UK) »
Woke up this morning and did the same thing again - fell back asleep. Really wish I hadn't, I had two awful dreams. In the first I was hiding from NN in the corner of my kitchen then suddenly she was there, in my kitchen. She had removed all my trellises and the plants from the fence, everything was bare. I could have coped with that, it was just a silly dream but the second was so absolutely dreadfully awful, I have no idea why I dreamt it but I wish I'd got up when I first woke. Took a while to shake it out of my head.

A wet morning as forecast, the Met Office only seems to get it right these days when they forecast bad weather. Not helped by seeing that everywhere further south was going to have a lovely day. The rain stopped late morning so went out, it was warmer than expected. Usual walk, uneventful.

Had lunch, did a bit of Rootschatting then did some cleaning as there was no prospect of gardening. Tesco delivery was due between five and six pm so got prepared to wipe groceries. They usually update the delivery details with a half hour slot but that didn't happen, it continued to say Order Pending. I don't know if it's down to the driver to update the system or if it's automated from the vehicle tracking but either way it didn't happen. It was about 5.40 when the driver arrived. Did the usual tedious stuff before putting it away and quarantining the rest.

Tea and TV, couldn't concentrate on anything much. Not a great day but have had worse. Hope it's been better for others.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 18th July
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 July 20 00:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry you had bad dreams that upset you... always difficult... glad I very rarely remember mine! At least you were able to get out for a walk... hope tomorrow is a better one for you, the weather does make such a difference to ones mood... I'll keep my fingers 🤞For you...

My day
Woke quite early as I had pulled the blind up a bit last night to let in what ever air there was which wasn't much! Caught up with RC then got up... OH had already left for golf so it was quiet downstairs... I quite like having the house to myself...
Received a message from Yogalates teacher with a link for a Zoom class mid morning...
Oh joy of joys had a message from daughter to say results of grandsons test was negative.... as we thought probable but reassuring... at least they can get on with the rest of their w/end plans.... shame about yesterday ☹️
Started doing sewing early knowing I'd be missing an hour doing the class..
Set laptop up in the lounge today as more space... like last week there were just two of us and her so good of her to spend time on a Saturday ... this will be last one and I'll have to go back through older YouTube or her FB sessions as she's on holiday next week then back to work... don't feel I'm ready to go into inside spaces with others I've had no contact with just yet... so it'll be home for me...
Continued with the Sewing of face coverings.....
OH home... had a good round so not giving up this week!we had lunch and I listened to how it all went then excused myself and returned to sewing...
Oh dear it sounds so boring but I do actually really enjoy it and one gets quicker all the time...
I half listen to the radio... Any questions... then any Answers... talking about people going back to work... how people feel allowing the young British girl to return from Syrian refugee camp to discuss her citizenship that she was stripped of...
Daughter FaceTime us... lovely to see them all, boys busy doing a jigsaw of the planets... a Spanish version.... not sure why but they're now learning Spanish words as well as French!
Youngest grandson wants to know whether grandpa videoed lions as mummy had said he had... yes I said he did when we went to stay with friends who lived in Kenya.... can I see them, he says, yes I said next time you come up we'll get the video out!... he seemed satisfied with that answer!
They're off on holiday to Dartmouth on Friday of next week, like us they like the area and have been before.... self catering and they've chosen one that makes sure Place is properly cleaned and aired... thought that was normal but there you go! Only downside they can't get in till 5pm..
OH cooked steak and we had first runner beans and they tasted wonderful.
Quite pleased with how I got on sewing today made 52 in various designs...
Watched a film that won awards... name escapes me now but it was a touching story...
Another day over with... sadly doesn't look like we'll be seeing them until the middle of August as daughter thinks they need two week inbetween coming back from holiday and coming up here... ah well so be it she's probably right...
Can't see an end to this... beginning to get quite fed up with it all, it's like going on a merry go round and not being able to get off...
Hope others have had a good day...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 July 20 03:40 BST (UK) »
Had a good nights sleep but it was very overcast which persisted until mid afternoon when some sun arrived.  Until I went outside to enjoy some sunshine it was not a good day.   After breakfast discovered a PC problem and from there everything seemed to go downhill.   Felt a bit better when I was able to sit outside late afternoon and chat to my downstairs neighbour. 

I'd ordered a couple of masks which I will keep in the car (washable) plus 2 bottles of sanitizer which arrived via postman.   Hopefully I'll feel somewhat freer in August - this isolation is driving me crazy now and was quite upset this evening.   Forecast tomorrow is for rain until 2pm and then overcast/cloudy for the rest of the day.   What joy!

Have not been to B & M yet and plan to do this tomorrow whilst weather unfavourable.  Quite a few things I'd like to get including birthday cards having depleted my stock whilst in lockdown.   Will be my first time in an actual retail shop since March so feeling a bit anxious I must admit but got to do it sometime. 

Wasn't sure what to have to eat tonight but in the end chose potato skins with cheese/bacon followed by a small lemon cheesecake plus a glass of white wine.  Then all hell broke loose at one of my next door upstairs neighbours.  The man who lives there has a son in his 30's who has serious mental issues (he told me once what they were but there were at least 6 different things he's been diagnosed with).   I personally think that's he's so bad he should be in some secure place because in the past, and culminating tonight, he has terrible outbursts shouting, arguing, and what sounds like physical fighting.   Banging, thumping going on.   It's really scary, believe me and I was at the point of thinking I should call the police.   The police have been called many times (not by me) over the last 2/3 years and end up taking him away.  He's not supposed to come here (injunction taken out by his father last year) but since lockdown he's here sometimes 3/4 times a day.  As I was considering whether to phone them I looked out of the window and a large police van was in the car park so someone had already reported what was happening.    This was around 11.45 and it had been going on for an hour.     Around an hour later (during which much more shouting) the police led him outside.   So glad I looked out of the window as I discovered that since yesterday his straggly beard was gone and his head completely shaved.   Hope he'd bathed too as he's been wearing the same clothes for months!   There were 4 police officers - 3 male, 1 female - all wearing masks and thought they were about to load him in the van.   However, he strutted up and down the grass verge for some minutes with the officers watching him and then he picked up his bike and rode away.   I think the police had been called by the neighbour who lives beneath as I heard him talking to the occupant after the son had finally gone.   I bet you anything the son will be back again tomorrow.   We're all on tenterhooks the minute we see him appear.

So, not a good day for me at all.   One can only hope tomorrow (today) will be better.

Stay safe.

Annette   

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 July 20 11:24 BST (UK) »
Horrid dreams Roobarb, no wonder you had a down day, but hoping today is better for you.  :D
Thank Heavens for +ve Covid test result for Small Person. Yes a shame about the picnic, but in the grand scheme of things.... and at least you do video call with them, and could even do that during their holiday, maybe?  :-\
Hope everyone has a fairly pleasant day today.
Diary:
Cool and grey with a mist hanging over the Bay, and I slipped out early to make a raid on the bakers in town.  Much cooler than I expected with strong offshore winds, but I was feeling quite pleased with myself, having seen swifts and a squirrel, when I felt a sharp jab on my arm and realised I had been bitten by a very small weevil type beetle, which I flicked off quickly, and put some hand sanitiser on the place.Hopped into the shower and then had breakfast.Took a walk hoping that the weather would be deterring people but the pier area was thrumming with folk who had no cares.Quiet p.m., rather cold on the balcony!!.Swift walk after tea.Watched Kiera Knightley's "Duchess" on TV. Was furious how double standards have always existed and don't seem much better even yet.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 July 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
How strange I didn't see your post when I put mine on Annette, though it must have been there.
Very scary for everyone to have this volatile situation. Difficult for the police as well.
Best for you to keep well out of the way I think, but how the father should cope with it I don't know.

Hope your shopping spree worked out well, and you are now sufficiently stocked up to put us all on your birthday card list.  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 July 20 21:19 BST (UK) »
Caroline, good to hear that your grandson's test was negative. Well done with the Yogalates class, I feel the same about returning to my Pilates class, wouldn't feel comfortable yet. Keep forgetting to do it at home though! It's great that you get so much enjoyment from your sewing and you're helping so many people too.

Annette, I read your post about the PC problem but some of it didn't mean much to me and the reply even less! Hope you can get it sorted soon. What an awful carry on with your neighbour's son, hope he doesn't return tonight.

Mowsehowse, looks like the weather forecasters got it wrong for you too. They were probably doing the usual trick of referring to the weather in London as if it applies to the whole country (part from the North!)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 July 20 22:31 BST (UK) »
So sorry to read of the many problems contributors to this topic are having ,
it all seems so much worse in the present difficult time .
There is no escaping things.
When sleep is denied and disturbed then everything seems worse.
I too have been having dreams, but no sense to them so they are difficult to relate .
I bought some” Sleep” tea, pleasant flavour and a few hours sleep BUT ,then dreadful dreams ,so I don’t drink it anymore.
I find some crossword puzzles and writing materials to hand can at least distract me.
Well I went to post a home made birthday card today, nearby post box -collection tomorrow at 9 .For Wednesday.Hope it gets there.
Well, the road is not as busy as usual but my word ,was I nervous!
ME ,cheeky bold as brass!
I waited ages , both ways , how I will cope when it is really busy again !
I will ask some nice young man to take me across!
Children playing out again as I walked  ,but I think they areal all one family -,well,a chap with children and a woman with children  are now married so two families but in the same house.
I went  on and walked through the cemetery , just to remind me where I will be if I don’t take care and have patience.
Was blazing mad, missed Countryfile and it was the area of Shropshire  where I used to live ,” The Stiperstones .”
On repeat next Sunday 7-30 in the morning.
Missed the Royal Wedding.
Those two sisters have grown up very well, it seems , must be difficult too
given Prince Andrew’s behaviour and the ensuing publicity.
The scones were nice, very light, Delia Smith’s recipe and there are two teaspoons of baking powder to eight ounces of flour ,so good lift.
Just watching Lewis, oh I wish Morse was on.
My daughter is considering letting her super Border Terrier have puppies.
The dog has an exceptionally good temperament - is Flash Harry’s best friend.
So we will see.
Well you are told one thing then another,so  I am still in lockdown.
l have some masks now but will not really be going anywhere soon.
My figs don’t seem to be getting any bigger,but the weather has been cold.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you all,
Kind regards ,Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 July 20 23:30 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, the post seems to have picked up a lot since early lockdown so your card stands a good chance of making it on time. Good idea to be picking up nice young men! No point in taking any risks with the traffic.  ;)
Yes, such a shame about Princess Beatrice's wedding but they look very happy on the photos so I suppose that's what really matters.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 July 20 23:35 BST (UK) »
Just catching up with yesterday before posting today's.... will Roobarb get there before me... probably yes!

Mowsehowse - your day sound a bit murky weatherwise... trying to dodge people must put you on your guard all the time too. Lovely to be able to buy nice artisan breads... there are some weird and wonderful insects out there these days but what a cheek being bitten!

Annette- sorry to hear about all the problems with your neighbours son... it must be very scary and disturbing for you all too... good job the police arrived to see him off the premises. Let's hope he doesn't return too soon.
I fully understand what you say about venturing out too... it can be quite worrying... I've got used to going to the few places I do shop at and generally either no one or few people around... have tpmouck my times though. Hope you have a better day today..

Viktoria- I love to read your posts they are always full of humour and we certainly need that these days... brave to go out even if it was to the cemetery and to the post box too, well done for braving the outside hope it wasn't too apocalyptic! The pictures in the paper today of the princesses wedding were unusual... no Andrew... lovely that the queen lent her one of her dresses very special thing to do... thought the flowers round the arch were far prettier than those at Harry & Megans wedding...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK