Author Topic: DVLA driving licence renewals for oldies  (Read 1527 times)

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DVLA driving licence renewals for oldies
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 July 20 19:12 BST (UK) »

I seem to remember the DVLA stating that they will send a reminder where possible but

the onus is still on you to renew your documents.   So never wait for a reminder. They have

got, a get out clause ;D ;D ;D

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 00:15 BST (UK) »
My OH was 70 in May, he received a renewal notice and sent off the completed form complete with a photo (neither of us have previously had a photocard), it is now 3 months and he is still waiting for his new licence and the return of documentation to prove who he is.

I'm 70 next month and haven't received a renewal notice, Last month I got an application form from the post office, sent it off with a photo, maybe by christmas I might have a new licence.

Managed on one occasion to get though to DVLA on the phone and was told that if your application isn't being processed by you birth date then you cannot continue to drive.

I think if you do it online you receive an immediate confirmation  that  they have received it and so you can continue to drive.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 00:40 BST (UK) »

I think if you do it online you receive an immediate confirmation  that  they have received it and so you can continue to drive.

Our licences were the old pink paper ones so we had to supply a photo which you can't do online. I do know that our applications have reached Swansea as I paid for 1st class tracked and signed for postage

Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 07:27 BST (UK) »
OH has just turned 73 and did not get a reminder so don't bank on getting one.

Address unchanged since last licence issued?

Lived here 25 years
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 07:35 BST (UK) »

Our licences were the old pink paper ones so we had to supply a photo which you can't do online. I do know that our applications have reached Swansea as I paid for 1st class tracked and signed for postage

My OH's spplication had to done by post as well as he needed a photo and didn't have a passport.   His licence arrived after about a month and my online app arrived at the same time after a few days.   Neither of us had a reminder

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 09:46 BST (UK) »

He won't necessarily get one at 73.  It depends how soon after he had to renew it at 70, it would normally have needed renewing.  In my case, I only had 1 year to run when I had to renew at 70, so I then had to renew again another year later, talk about a way of getting money for the government!

Modified - I see from the DVLA website that renewals over 70 are free, but I'm sure I had to pay when I turned 70 and then again the following year when my driving licence would normally have run out.  Then again that was nearly 10 years ago, so maybe things have changed.

I have renewed my licence on line, and sent back my old one.  This was before this latest fiasco, so the new licence arrived very quickly.  However, I thought so long as you had applied for a new one (and had proof) you could carry on driving.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 10:09 BST (UK) »

He won't necessarily get one at 73.  It depends how soon after he had to renew it at 70, it would normally have needed renewing.  In my case, I only had 1 year to run when I had to renew at 70, so I then had to renew again another year later, talk about a way of getting money for the government!

His paper licence was replaced by a photo licence when he reached 70 (no charge).  The new licence lasts for 3 years which ran out this month, he did not get a reminder for that one.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 10:19 BST (UK) »
I already had a photo licence, had one for years.  If you move house and have to notify them of a new address you had to surrender your paper licence for a photo licence.  But I still had to renew it at 70.  I have no idea why.  Then I had to renew it again at 71 when it would have been due.

It's odd that driving licence renewals are not being sent out, both my son and I both got reminders about car tax last month.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 10:28 BST (UK) »
I already had a photo licence, had one for years.  If you move house and have to notify them of a new address you had to surrender your paper licence for a photo licence.  But I still had to renew it at 70.  I have no idea why.  Then I had to renew it again at 71 when it would have been due.

It's odd that driving licence renewals are not being sent out, both my son and I both got reminders about car tax last month.

The computer is probably on lockdown and not allowed to work from home. Seriously though there is no reason why the computer cannot send out reminders, my licence is due renewal next month and I have not had a reminder. At least I now know it will be automatically renewed for a further 7 months.